Ohio c/o 2016 Applicants

Started by NStarz
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Do you guys know if there's a way to access your supplemental app online still? I'm not on my normal computer, but trying to review...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Flying out to Ohio tonight for my interview on Saturday!! SOOOO NERVOUS! Hope to see some of you there!
 
Flying out to Ohio tonight for my interview on Saturday!! SOOOO NERVOUS! Hope to see some of you there!

Rock it out! Just be yourself and everything else will flow!!

Good luck!!! To everyone interviewing tomorrow!!!
 
Well we're done with finals here at OSUCVM =D Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow and Saturday, and if you are interviewing tomorrow or Saturday in the afternoon I'll see you during the student panel and tour in the morning!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Me too!! Yay! 🙂 See you at dinner tonight, Velaineil!! 🙂
 
Me too!! Yay! 🙂 See you at dinner tonight, Velaineil!! 🙂
Misunderstandings abound! I toured/interviewed today (the 9th), so I missed you! I hope you enjoyed the dinner tonight- I thought the food was pretty good!
I'm not sure if you'll check this tomorrow before your interview- but be sure to be up to date on current vet issues both globally and in the news. Everyone I talked to today was asked about it!
Good luck for all tomorrow, and all this week! 🙂
 
aw, I just missed you then! Isn't Columbus nice?? Thanks for the heads-up!!!
 
Your plans are the same as mine, even the flight landing time, except I'm staying at the Varsity Inn. It looks like it's just down the street. If that'll work, I'd be down to split the cost! 🙂

Reader19, I found out that we can get a 22 dollar cab from the airport to the Holiday Inn (apparently they have negotiated a special price) if your still interested!
 
Hope everyone who had interviews yesterday and today enjoyed their experience! Nstarz, it was great to meet you and I hope you enjoyed the info sessions and tour today! Good luck all =)
 
Hey SDN, I'll be joining the 12/12 interviewees tomorrow for dinner so congrats everyone! I am a bit hesitant about my "current issues" knowledge. I've definitely researched a few but am currently working 3 jobs and haven't had a lot of spare time. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good websites to browse before the interview. Any help is appreciated! Thanks 🙂
 
Sorry for the double post but also just wanted to reach out to any fellow OOS's. Im technically an OOS despite having gone to OSU as an undergrad. If anyone needs a carpool/directions to the dinner/interview I'd be more than happy to help out. Also if anyone is in town Monday afternoon after the interview you should really check out a small bar called Bodegas that I am obsessed with. Monday's special is amazing $1 grilled cheese and happy hour from 4-8 which is half off all drafts (over 50 beers on tap, both domestic and imported!!). I am definitely planning on going after a full morning of nerve-wracking interview activities. So if you're unsure what the ole C-bus has to offer I'd be more than willing to help out!
 
Hey SDN, I'll be joining the 12/12 interviewees tomorrow for dinner so congrats everyone! I am a bit hesitant about my "current issues" knowledge. I've definitely researched a few but am currently working 3 jobs and haven't had a lot of spare time. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good websites to browse before the interview. Any help is appreciated! Thanks 🙂

This is worth at least one beer

and a grilled cheese

Too bad I have to leave to fly back after the day's schedule or I would take you up on both🙁

Good luck and I'm sure I will run into you (and other SDNers) at some point. I shouldn't be hard to spot as I'm a guy.
 
Just got back, and I really have no idea how I did! I think it went well, but I didn't fully answer some questions before they moved on to the next question. I talked too much. 🙁 I guess at least we'll know relatively soon, right?

They asked where else I applied and, if accepted at all of them, which schools were my top 3. They also asked what I'll do if I don't get accepted anywhere this year. :\ Now THAT'S an unhappy thought.

Anyway, good luck to everyone interviewing next week!! Bring your gym shoes & coat with you into the panels in the morning...you won't have a chance to fetch them from the car before the tour. Lunch was from Qdoba. 🙂
 
Hey SDN, I'll be joining the 12/12 interviewees tomorrow for dinner so congrats everyone! I am a bit hesitant about my "current issues" knowledge. I've definitely researched a few but am currently working 3 jobs and haven't had a lot of spare time. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good websites to browse before the interview. Any help is appreciated! Thanks 🙂

Read up on the lifting of the ban on horse slaughter, carriage horses in NYC, and Breed-Specific Legislation, perhaps?
 
Hey thanks Nordicat! Im all over the dvm360 site right now.. finally some interesting news. I've been supporting the lift of the horse slaughter ban for years so that news definitely made it to me quickly so I'm pretty excited about that one. Thanks for the advice on the others and I'm sure you did amazing with your interview!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got back, and I really have no idea how I did! I think it went well, but I didn't fully answer some questions before they moved on to the next question. I talked too much. 🙁 I guess at least we'll know relatively soon, right?

They asked where else I applied and, if accepted at all of them, which schools were my top 3. They also asked what I'll do if I don't get accepted anywhere this year. :\ Now THAT'S an unhappy thought.

Anyway, good luck to everyone interviewing next week!! Bring your gym shoes & coat with you into the panels in the morning...you won't have a chance to fetch them from the car before the tour. Lunch was from Qdoba. 🙂

I felt the same way about my interview, I think we all do. You always think of things you coulda or shoulda said after your done. Overall I thought they made the interviewing laid back enough so you could just relax and be yourself. That also made me give less technical answers than I would have liked though 🙁. I wasn't asked about my top choices, but I only applied to 3 schools and am IS so it was probably kinda obvious. I also wasn't asked about if I didn't get in anywhere this year but I was asked about a time when I wasn't successful and how I reacted (was a tough one for me). I think I coulda answered better, but oh well. I too chatted too much and we were at 40 minutes and they were like OK we have like 20 seconds do you have any questions, lol. They pretty much answered as we had to leave the room, lol. They were very nice though and I think it went well overall. Tough for me, though because I was in the early interview and everyone else from here that went to the early interview got their acceptances right away. And I still am waiting 🙁. But we should know soon 👍.
 
Hey guys,

Do you know if OSU is still planning to offer the chance to gain residency for OOS students after 1 year of being with the school? There were rumors flying around that they were planning to get rid of that (or they already did..). Elliegirl would you know anything about this? Thank you~
 
aw, I just missed you then! Isn't Columbus nice?? Thanks for the heads-up!!!
Honestly, I'm not that big on Columbus! I am doing my undergrad at a smaller, super rural school about and hour and a half from Cbus, and every time I've had to go into the city it really stresses me out. Sure there's lots to do and lots to eat, but it's dirty, traffic is so stressful, and there's so many people everywhere! Plus, there's so much shopping I'd be broke within a week of living there- being 45 min. from the closest Target makes you really consider your shopping trips long and hard.😛

I felt the same way about my interview, I think we all do. You always think of things you coulda or shoulda said after your done. Overall I thought they made the interviewing laid back enough so you could just relax and be yourself. That also made me give less technical answers than I would have liked though 🙁. I wasn't asked about my top choices, but I only applied to 3 schools and am IS so it was probably kinda obvious. I also wasn't asked about if I didn't get in anywhere this year but I was asked about a time when I wasn't successful and how I reacted (was a tough one for me). I think I coulda answered better, but oh well. I too chatted too much and we were at 40 minutes and they were like OK we have like 20 seconds do you have any questions, lol. They pretty much answered as we had to leave the room, lol. They were very nice though and I think it went well overall. Tough for me, though because I was in the early interview and everyone else from here that went to the early interview got their acceptances right away. And I still am waiting 🙁. But we should know soon 👍.

I feel that way too! I have no idea if any of the things I said made any sense- I wish there could be a third party there who could tell you afterwards if you were coherent or not!
Who were you guys interviewed by?
 
I just remembered to post this- when I was at OSU, I learned that they're interviewing about 130 in-staters and the rest are OOS.
So, us in-staters who've made it this far have pretty good odds!
 
Hey guys, I decided to quit my "lurking" and actually join SDN. I am interviewing on 12/16 (very nervous and excited). Just wanted to say hello and get to know the future co 2016-ers!
 
I just remembered to post this- when I was at OSU, I learned that they're interviewing about 130 in-staters and the rest are OOS.
So, us in-staters who've made it this far have pretty good odds!

That is a very good piece of info. to know. I don't think they had finished deciding who to invite to interviews when I interviewed in November and they just said they'd be interviewing around 300 or 350 can't remember 😕 and the class size was 160 they didn't have a breakdown of IS and OOS. I kinda assumed most interviewees would be IS since they accept so many more IS than OOS. Happy to have assumed wrong there, that gives me even more hope 🙂.

It would be awesome if there was an observer who met with you right after and just gave a general opinion on your interview. Like you did just fine, don't worry, or um, I kinda knew what you meant, but you rambled on and on, or dude that was bad. Just like a general opinion so you don't have to beat yourself up for months if it was OK.
 
I loved OSU! Very nice to meet you as well, EG! I was very impressed with the campus, facilities, students, faculty, and the curriculum.

I don't think my interview went too well, unfortunately 🙁 I kept rambling. Pretty bummed. Everyone was really nice, though. I'd love to attend OSU!
 
Hey everyone! Just got back from the dinner where I was fortunate enough to have a faculty member from admissions at my table. Obviously, we all grilled her on some admissions stats. Here's what I was told tonight..... OSU is interviewing around 400 people total. Those interviews that are absolutely stellar are being offered admissions very soon afterwards HOWEVER those that were completely awful are also hearing back right afterwards but in a bad, rejection sort of way. The majority of people will fall in the middle range where they'll think on it more and will be notified by January. Also, she said that they normally make about 300/400 offers of admissions mainly because it's not the first choice school for a lot of out of staters (this includes people off the waitlist as well). Hope this helps and boosts some spirits! My interview is tomorrow (gah! :/) so I'm trying to force the positivity to outweigh the nervousness!
 
Hey everyone! Just got back from the dinner where I was fortunate enough to have a faculty member from admissions at my table. Obviously, we all grilled her on some admissions stats. Here's what I was told tonight..... OSU is interviewing around 400 people total. Those interviews that are absolutely stellar are being offered admissions very soon afterwards HOWEVER those that were completely awful are also hearing back right afterwards but in a bad, rejection sort of way. The majority of people will fall in the middle range where they'll think on it more and will be notified by January. Also, she said that they normally make about 300/400 offers of admissions mainly because it's not the first choice school for a lot of out of staters (this includes people off the waitlist as well). Hope this helps and boosts some spirits! My interview is tomorrow (gah! :/) so I'm trying to force the positivity to outweigh the nervousness!

Don't toy with my emotions like that, ttmeow! 😛 That would pretty much mean that if you interviewed, you'll be offered admission sooner or later...right?

EllieGirl, I didn't figure out who you were until post-panel and tour! 🙁 Boo.
 
Hey everyone! Just got back from the dinner where I was fortunate enough to have a faculty member from admissions at my table. Obviously, we all grilled her on some admissions stats. Here's what I was told tonight..... OSU is interviewing around 400 people total. Those interviews that are absolutely stellar are being offered admissions very soon afterwards HOWEVER those that were completely awful are also hearing back right afterwards but in a bad, rejection sort of way. The majority of people will fall in the middle range where they'll think on it more and will be notified by January. Also, she said that they normally make about 300/400 offers of admissions mainly because it's not the first choice school for a lot of out of staters (this includes people off the waitlist as well). Hope this helps and boosts some spirits! My interview is tomorrow (gah! :/) so I'm trying to force the positivity to outweigh the nervousness!

GL ttmeow :xf:, and thank you for the info! 😍
 
Trying not to get my hopes too high! If you're OOS I think your chances are pretty good because of the shifting of people choosing IS schools, but also remember that OSU is one of the few schools to offer in state tuition after the first year, so that's gonna pull a lot of OOSers to want to attend. I know if I was OOS it would be a school I applied to and if I didn't get in IS it would be second or third on my list (possibly after Wisconsin). I'm IS though. Only downside with being IS is that if you are waitlisted, your chances aren't very good because most people are gonna take their IS offer. We'll see though, this thread is really boosting my confidence!

We should hear something really soon, like hopefully just 8 days of waiting left!
 
Ack! 8 days is too long!
Anybody here from NE Ohio? The Akron Zoo is having a vet career day for college students next Tuesday from 1-3:30. If anybody wants the info, PM me your email address and I'd be happy to forward! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Someone I know who interviewed on the 2nd just got an acceptance... not sure if that's "soon after" or the start of "middle of the range" acceptances, but thought I'd contribute. c:

How did they find out? Call, e-mail,....?
Congrats to them!
 
That is not helping with me not getting my hopes up!

Was the person that got the acceptance in state or out of state?
 
That is not helping with me not getting my hopes up!

Was the person that got the acceptance in state or out of state?

It just keeps making ME freak out and worry that others are hearing things and I haven't yet :scared:...even though I just interviewed on Saturday. :laugh: I'm losing my mind! It's making me feel a little better that some of the other OOSers are getting accepted at other schools though...maybe they'll decline OSU and leave a spot for meeee 😍