size_tens said:
I got my post-interview decision from MCO today: waitlist. That was one of the most disappointing decisions I have ever received in my life. I know there's still a chance I could get in but I wanted the straight acceptance so badly that this waitlist just feels like a dagger through the heart.
Sorry to hear the news size_tens. I too was an out-of-state waitlistee at MCO. So don't fret too much. Did they happen to assign you a priority class/ranking?
Here's the stats for the class matriculating in
'04. These numbers have not fluctuated much from year to year:
Total number of applications received: 2905
Ohio Residents: 985
Non-Residents: 1920
Number of interviews: 436
Ohio Residents: 264
Non-Residents: 172
Number Acceptances Offered: 301
Also, note that historically the waitlist for out-of-state is almost completely gone through each year, as opposed to the slow movement of the in-state wait list.
Taking all this information into account, you were quite fortunate and must be academically adequate to get an interview at MCO (9% of out of staters' get the interview, the rest get the 'boot'), let alone any medical school.
More than two-thirds of those interviewed, are offered an acceptance to MCO. This percentage is better for out-of-staters that have interviewed, as the waitlist tends to move faster for them.
Also, keep in mind that MCO constantly reevaluates applications throughout the academic year. Send them a letter of intent (make it good)!!! Call them to ask what some of the factors that went into the waitlist decision. Inform them of your activities, etc.
You're almost there. Don't give up yet!!!
Best of Luck,
Regards,
-Salty