Ohio State c/o 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Did anybody else just receive an email about a scholarship? I just got one for $500 and I'm pretty surprised because honestly, I didn't think I was a top applicant. Is this just something standard for in-state students? I know that for them, it isn’t a huge sum of money (even though it is for me!), and that some other students will likely receive more. Either way I’m thrilled!
 
Did anybody else just receive an email about a scholarship? I just got one for $500 and I'm pretty surprised because honestly, I didn't think I was a top applicant. Is this just something standard for in-state students? I know that for them, it isn’t a huge sum of money (even though it is for me!), and that some other students will likely receive more. Either way I’m thrilled!

I got a scholarship as an out of state student! Very thrilled as well 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Happy Wednesday guys! Quick question for any current students or anyone who might know the answer! Does Ohio over accept students to fill the class size and then make a waitlist or do they send out acceptances to the exact number in the class and then the waitlist? Let me know if this makes sense or no sense at all lol! Thanks!!
 
Happy Wednesday guys! Quick question for any current students or anyone who might know the answer! Does Ohio over accept students to fill the class size and then make a waitlist or do they send out acceptances to the exact number in the class and then the waitlist? Let me know if this makes sense or no sense at all lol! Thanks!!
I was told that they accept around 200 students for the 164 spots.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For students that live off campus: how did you plan to rent and pay for your apartment, house, etc.? Did you have an idea of when you would receive your loans, and did you have to wait to rent a place until you got your loans for security deposit, rent, utilities, etc.?
 
For students that live off campus: how did you plan to rent and pay for your apartment, house, etc.? Did you have an idea of when you would receive your loans, and did you have to wait to rent a place until you got your loans for security deposit, rent, utilities, etc.?

You won’t get your loans dispersed to you until about a week before classes start. You should 100% have housing arranged before then. Honestly, things can get tight financially right before classes start and that’s something to consider and plan around.
 
You won’t get your loans dispersed to you until about a week before classes start. You should 100% have housing arranged before then. Honestly, things can get tight financially right before classes start and that’s something to consider and plan around.
Good to know. Thank you!
 
it looks like an official facebook page has been made according to someone on the APVMA page however it looks like a few of us never got an email about it. not sure how to go about that.
 
it looks like an official facebook page has been made according to someone on the APVMA page however it looks like a few of us never got an email about it. not sure how to go about that.

Yeah I never got anything about it either

The email for it is going to go out on April 15th was what someone in the first year class said. If you’ve committed to OSU and know a current student they can add you early, though.
 
Currently toying with the idea of buying a house, multifamily even and rent out to students to pay for living expenses and mortgage near Columbus since cost of living is so cheap.. Anyone there opinions on this? I have excellent credit/down payments/ patents who can cosign if needed. This is how my parents have always made money so it's second nature to me.
 
Currently toying with the idea of buying a house, multifamily even and rent out to students to pay for living expenses and mortgage near Columbus since cost of living is so cheap.. Anyone there opinions on this? I have excellent credit/down payments/ patents who can cosign if needed. This is how my parents have always made money so it's second nature to me.
I was planning on doing something similar to this as well. Where are you looking at? Near the school or a little out of the university area?
 
I was planning on doing something similar to this as well. Where are you looking at? Near the school or a little out of the university area?
I feel that closer would be easier to find roommates, I'm sure there are plenty of students that it shouldn't be a problem...
 
I feel that closer would be easier to find roommates, I'm sure there are plenty of students that it shouldn't be a problem...
Thats true, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to rent to other vet students either. Some of the areas right outside the university aren't the best. But I talked to some second years at the MVC this year and they said there are some decent neighborhoods 15-20 minutes inost directions. That's where they recommended. Let me know what ya find out!
 
Thats true, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to rent to other vet students either. Some of the areas right outside the university aren't the best. But I talked to some second years at the MVC this year and they said there are some decent neighborhoods 15-20 minutes inost directions. That's where they recommended. Let me know what ya find out!

Definitely, I'm not familiar with the area so I'd probably just check in with a real estate agent fly over there and make my rounds to see several houses. TBD. What's your timeline?
 
Definitely, I'm not familiar with the area so I'd probably just check in with a real estate agent fly over there and make my rounds to see several houses. TBD. What's your timeline?
I'm live in Dayton now, it's about an hour away. So I've been taking some short trips out there when I have time. I'll probably be looking to be in Cbus by July-ish. What about yourself?
 
Thats true, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to rent to other vet students either. Some of the areas right outside the university aren't the best. But I talked to some second years at the MVC this year and they said there are some decent neighborhoods 15-20 minutes inost directions. That's where they recommended. Let me know what ya find out!

A good general rule to follow is to stay north of 70 and west of 71, but that’s not all inclusive. There’s some areas farther from school that are nice places to live.
 
A good general rule to follow is to stay north of 70 and west of 71, but that’s not all inclusive. There’s some areas farther from school that are nice places to live.

This is true.

I live further out (like right outside the outer belt) in a nice community called Westerville. The commute is okay most of the year (less than 20 minutes if I leave early). Winter can suck if it’s icy and snowy.

If you’re new to Columbus, I usually recommend that people rent close to campus their first year. Learn your way around Columbus and talk to other students who live in different communities outside of Upper Arlington/Grandview. A lot of people move after their first year to find something better.

If you want to buy, it really depends on how much you have to spend. Definitely get a reputable realtor. Houses close to campus go quickly for $200,000+ and sometimes not in the best conditions. Condos are usually a little cheaper but still over $100,000. Outside of the campus bubble, it varies a lot based on the community. There are currently lots of communities in the process of being flipped so you might be able to get an updated home in a less than desired location for a decent price. If you have more to spend, communities like Clintonville and Worthington are easy commutes just north of campus.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys! I will be living at Governors Square! Just checked it out in person this past week and was very impressed. Anyone else living here?
 
Hey future classmates (eek! 😀 ) have any of y'all had success looking for reasonably priced housing that allows pitbulls? Northsteppe realty said they have no breed restrictions, but their reviews are a bit concerning. Any advice would be great. Thanks!
 
Is a 25 minute drive from campus too much for third/forth year and to find roommates? Looking to buy a home, wanting to see how far is too far.
 
Is a 25 minute drive from campus too much for third/forth year and to find roommates? Looking to buy a home, wanting to see how far is too far.
IMO, that’s pushing it. I live 18 minutes away on paper, and there are some days it takes me over 30 minutes to get to or from school with traffic. That 25 minutes could easily become 45+. There are days where I just want to get home, and that longer drive SUCKS. In fourth year, you’re required to be at the hospital within 30 minutes if you’re on call too.
 
Hey guys I just received my acceptance off of the waitlist.I accepted my seat also. Is there a Facebook page yet? Thanks.

There is. If you know someone in upper classes they can add you or the idea was that they were going to send the link out on the 15th I thought so I imagine sometime this week...
 
There is. If you know someone in upper classes they can add you or the idea was that they were going to send the link out on the 15th I thought so I imagine sometime this week...
Ok that works for me. I actually work for the vet school so I will ask the 4th years to add me
 
For waitlisters: I was originally #24 on the alternate list and just got an update that I am now at #9. I withdrew my application because I've already accepted my seat elsewhere, just wanted to let you know you'll be moving up and wish you all luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question about the whole residency process.. I know about the rules that you can't use money made outside of Ohio in that first year and essentially just use student loan money/part time jobs. Well, can you turn around and pay those student loans immediately with outside money so you don't accrue interest? From what I understand, we will get living expense money up to the value of the CoA and whatever we dont use can be returned interest free correct?
 
Hey guys! I just joined so I could give my waitlist updates. I was #8 on the IS waitlist after April 15th. I emailed them today to get my current position and I have moved up to #7. Love to hear about any waitlist movement as it goes :cat:
 
Hi all! I was #19 on the original OOS waitlist and then #5 on the new update. I was called yesterday and am accepting my spot. GO Buckeyes!!!

Is there a way I can be added to the C/O 2023 facebook page?