Ohio State c/o 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same here even though i’m OOS (my IS is penn so still cheaper)

I saw you interviewed on the 4th! (not to be a creep) lol but I also interviewed that day!

Members don't see this ad.

Same here even though i’m OOS (my IS is penn so still cheaper)
Is it cheaper than Penn? The cost of attendance gaining residency year 2 is $278,000. Penn is a bit below that as an in state.

Is it cheaper than Penn? The cost of attendance gaining residency year 2 is $278,000. Penn is a bit below that as an in state.

I was basing it off the VIN cost of attendance map, It’s probably pretty close depending on how much you spend on living etc but according to that it’s cheaper.

Members don't see this ad :)
It feels super weird not having really anything to do right now Like i feel like i should be writing an essay or submitting something or something

hahaha I’m with you there. I’m like stressed about nothing just out of habit.

Enjoy it while it lasts because it isn’t going to last long, trust me. Read some books, take some trips, do anything and everything especially if it has it has nothing to do with veterinary medicine. ‘Cause vet med is about to become your entire life.

Reactions: 5 users
I think Penn is almost $83,000 a year IS, which is way higher than one year OOS for OSU

I think Penn is almost $83,000 a year IS, which is way higher than one year OOS for OSU
OSU is $93 a year OOS. I have to look at Penn again but tuition is $49 and no non-resident fees.

Got the email yesterday that I am number 1 on the OOS waitlist. Does anyone think I have a shot of gaining acceptance?

Reactions: 1 user
Got the email yesterday that I am number 1 on the OOS waitlist. Does anyone think I have a shot of gaining acceptance?

You’ll probably make it off of the waitlist. I have an OOS acceptance but I’ll most likely be declining for my IS (NCSU).

Members don't see this ad :)
OSU is $93 a year OOS. I have to look at Penn again but tuition is $49 and no non-resident fees.
Sorry, I meant OSU with gaining residency second year. At OSU the total COA for 1 year OOS and the next 3 IS is $278,000, but at Penn the IS COA is $332508. Penn has a non-resident fee of around $9,000---I have all of this on hand because I was helping a friend in a similar situation figure this out
https://www.sfs.upenn.edu/publications/2018-19/financing-vet-2018-19.pdf

Sorry, I meant OSU with gaining residency second year. At OSU the total COA for 1 year OOS and the next 3 IS is $278,000, but at Penn the IS COA is $332508. Penn has a non-resident fee of around $9,000---I have all of this on hand because I was helping a friend in a similar situation figure this out
https://www.sfs.upenn.edu/publications/2018-19/financing-vet-2018-19.pdf
My only gripe with that is that there are a lot of inflated values there. If you’re under 26 and on your parents’ insurance you can pretty much wipe away the majority of the miscellaneous fees. Books can be bought used for around $100 according to a current student, so subtract another $5000 a year. Room and board is around $15,000 a year. So that’s around $15,000 a year that can be deducted. Although maybe the same can also be said for OSU.

My only gripe with that is that there are a lot of inflated values there. If you’re under 26 and on your parents’ insurance you can pretty much wipe away the majority of the miscellaneous fees. Books can be bought used for around $100 according to a current student, so subtract another $5000 a year. Room and board is around $15,000 a year. So that’s around $15,000 a year that can be deducted. Although maybe the same can also be said for OSU.
Oh, I absolutely agree that the numbers are inflated, but I think that's true for both schools. So while Penn isn't really 332500, OSU also isn't really 278000. They do that on purpose so you can take out as much as you need in loans, but either way, Penn is still more

I’m in a similar situation, I’m choosing between my IS Penn and OSU. Both programs are great, but I really loved the program, the facilities (especially the large animal hospital not being an hour away), and the location of OSU over Penn.

Reactions: 1 users
Might be late to the party here but does anyone know if we get any deals on dog food/heartworm/flea & tick meds?

Might be late to the party here but does anyone know if we get any deals on dog food/heartworm/flea & tick meds?
If you join SAVMA, you can take part in Vector Bourne Disease Day and get a years worth of HW and flea for free during the Spring! (You’ll get a ton of info about that when you start in Aug).

Oh and there’s awesome deals on pet food. Purina, Hills, and Royal Canin all have deals. I get a 15# bag of Hill’s Science Diet kitty food for $18. It’s noice.

If you join SAVMA, you can take part in Vector Bourne Disease Day and get a years worth of HW and flea for free during the Spring! (You’ll get a ton of info about that when you start in Aug).
*borne. My brain is fried.

That’s awesome!! I have a golden retriever with a crazy sensitive stomach and he gets Hills I/D which is CRAZY expensive if you don’t work for a vet & get it through the VIP market so i was hoping I’d get a similar deal. I think i get a 27# bag for like $45 when it would normally be like $90

Does anyone know when they start sending out information regarding financial aid/ scholarships,etc?

I was basing it off the VIN cost of attendance map, It’s probably pretty close depending on how much you spend on living etc but according to that it’s cheaper.

More info on the cost debate between Ohio St and UPenn. Aside, so frustrating that VIN and AAVMC cost estimates vary by as much as they do and in some cases are just flat out wrong. Bottom line is that you have to check with each school individually. Agree that room/board costs vary depending on your needs and expectations and whether or not you need the school's insurance also varies, so for this discussion I only looked at set tuition/fees.

So.... just looking at tuition and fees directly from their websites (and assuming you gain in state residency in Ohio for 2nd year on), Ohio State would cost $184,865 and UPenn $239,312.

Financial Aid Information | College of Veterinary Medicine

https://www.vet.upenn.edu/docs/defa...t-of-attnedance-2018-19.pdf?sfvrsn=24f7e5ba_0

Reactions: 1 users
More info on the cost debate between Ohio St and UPenn. Aside, so frustrating that VIN and AAVMC cost estimates vary by as much as they do and in some cases are just flat out wrong. Bottom line is that you have to check with each school individually. Agree that room/board costs vary depending on your needs and expectations and whether or not you need the school's insurance also varies, so for this discussion I only looked at set tuition/fees.

So.... just looking at tuition and fees directly from their websites (and assuming you gain in state residency in Ohio for 2nd year on), Ohio State would cost $184,865 and UPenn $239,312.

Financial Aid Information | College of Veterinary Medicine

https://www.vet.upenn.edu/docs/defa...t-of-attnedance-2018-19.pdf?sfvrsn=24f7e5ba_0

Wow, I appreciate you taking the time to look into this. Thanks!!

That’s awesome!! I have a golden retriever with a crazy sensitive stomach and he gets Hills I/D which is CRAZY expensive if you don’t work for a vet & get it through the VIP market so i was hoping I’d get a similar deal. I think i get a 27# bag for like $45 when it would normally be like $90
It is through VIP market :)

Has anyone who's been accepted received an email regarding setting up your email or scholarships yet? I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything

Has anyone who's been accepted received an email regarding setting up your email or scholarships yet? I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything

I got an email awhile ago with my email info and how to set it up but I haven’t heard anything about scholarships yet

I got an email awhile ago with my email info and how to set it up but I haven’t heard anything about scholarships yet

Okay thanks! I graduated from OSU (undergrad) last May and still have that email address active so I'm wondering if I'm supposed to keep that one? Might have to just email admissions about it

Okay thanks! I graduated from OSU (undergrad) last May and still have that email address active so I'm wondering if I'm supposed to keep that one? Might have to just email admissions about it

I also already had an OSU email address and haven’t heard anything from them about it, so I’m assuming that’s a step we can just skip

For any current students on here, do you see any benefit to getting a Mac computer? I know that OSU requires iPads and that’s how you take tests, many students take notes, etc., but is it helpful to have an Apple computer to share software, use relevant apps, or back things up? My computer is on its last legs and I’ll definitely need a new one by fall, so I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth the extra money for a MacBook. Thanks!

For any current students on here, do you see any benefit to getting a Mac computer? I know that OSU requires iPads and that’s how you take tests, many students take notes, etc., but is it helpful to have an Apple computer to share software, use relevant apps, or back things up? My computer is on its last legs and I’ll definitely need a new one by fall, so I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth the extra money for a MacBook. Thanks!

I bought a MacBook Air the summer that I was applying and loved it/used it constantly. Had to get the iPad for first year and I’ve barely used my MacBook since. That’s just me. I really like my iPad and there very little I need a computer for. And usually when I need a computer I just go upstairs to the library to use one, so I don’t really carry my MacBook around.

Can a current student tell us a little bit about scheduling? When do classes start? When are breaks and how long are they? I heard that it’s not semester grading. Is this true?

Can a current student tell us a little bit about scheduling? When do classes start? When are breaks and how long are they? I heard that it’s not semester grading. Is this true?

School usually starts third (ish) week of august. We follow the general university schedule so you can actually look up OSU academic calendar and it’ll bring up the calendars for the next few years...not sure what you mean about “not semester grading?”

School usually starts third (ish) week of august. We follow the general university schedule so you can actually look up OSU academic calendar and it’ll bring up the calendars for the next few years...not sure what you mean about “not semester grading?”

2018-2019 academic calendar and important dates | buckeyelink

Is this accurate? I thought someone told me the year is split up into 3 or 4 semesters instead of the traditional 2. This could be completely inaccurate lol

can any current students talk a little about Columbus? Is it fun? Do you guys go out downtown? etc.

And with the VIP Market you can also get it home delivered for like $2 an item on your first order each month if you don’t feel like lugging a heavy bag to your car from wherever your schools food room is(no idea how far your guys’ is from your parking)!
My dog is at home so I have to ship it to my parents vs picking it up from my school anyway

For current students, do you feel like professors and students get to know each other well? Since all students get taught at once there’s a high student-to-professor ratio. I guess what I mean to ask is do you feel like you can connect with professors given the amount of other students in the cohort.

For current students, do you feel like professors and students get to know each other well? Since all students get taught at once there’s a high student-to-professor ratio. I guess what I mean to ask is do you feel like you can connect with professors given the amount of other students in the cohort.

Connections are made outside of the classroom typically and require some effort on the student’s part. There are lots of opportunities to interact with faculty though- shadowing, case rounds, jobs, research, clubs, office hours, tutoring, etc. I don’t consider myself to be a super involved person, but even I’m recognized and known on a first name basis by a handful of faculty members.

I have never ever been bothered by the number of student in my class. I wondered before school if it would be an issue but it isn’t. There’s plenty of opportunities to get to know faculty. It’s more about the initiative you take and what your involved in beyond the classroom.

Reactions: 2 users
I have never ever been bothered by the number of student in my class. I wondered before school if it would be an issue but it isn’t. There’s plenty of opportunities to get to know faculty. It’s more about the initiative you take and what your involved in beyond the classroom.
Thank you!

Any housing recommendations for first year students?