Ohio State c/o 2023

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by JiuJitsuGirl95, Sep 30, 2018.

1. JiuJitsuGirl95

For those of you who have been waiting! Who else is applying?

2. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    May want to specify which OSU you’re talking about. There’s three.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. M&D

M&D

Pre-Veterinary
    Maybe we're doing an Ohio-Oregon-Oklaoma-States thread all in one this year to save room on the internet

4. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Gonna be a real cluttered thread but hey, at least the forum thread list will be less cluttered!!! I’m down for that

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    JiuJitsuGirl95 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    JiuJitsuGirl95

Lol nice looking out ;)

6. Dinashadow

Dinashadow Tufts c/o 2023

Pre-Veterinary
    I applied. First time applicant, OOS, and non-traditional.

motherofamstaffs likes this.
  7. mmmdreamerz

mmmdreamerz c/o 2021
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I approve. *The* OSU, is supreme among OSUs. Definitely not biased or anything.;)

Karabiner13 and JiuJitsuGirl95 like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    JiuJitsuGirl95

Hahah what can I say..it's easy to get tunnel vision when Ohio is the only "OSU" I'm worried about:sneaky:

9. Spoot

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I applied to Ohio and would be so excited to go, even though they beat my alma mater this Saturday (we won't discuss that). The one thing I'd be nervous about is living in Columbus.. anyone have any experience?

coolkorbin likes this.
  10. horsegirlx

Pre-Veterinary
    That is the last thing id be worried about!! I'm doing my undergrad now and Columbus is seriously the best place to live, I'll be so sad to leave. Really has something for everyone and a pretty fair price of living.

Em Exotic VM likes this.
  11. horsegirlx

Pre-Veterinary
    Let me know if you have any questions in particular about it though :) . tOSU is out of state for me but I would be so happy to stay here. Obviously have become pretty biased though..

Spoot likes this.
  12. Spoot

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Thank you! If I end up getting accepted and going, I will most definitely ask!

Em Exotic VM likes this.
  13. mmmdreamerz

mmmdreamerz c/o 2021
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Current second year here:) I came from a pretty small area and I think Columbus is fabulous. So much to do but not your typical big dirty city. Great foodie city, Metropark system is amazing. Cost living is reasonable. The school itself is fantastic. Love it here and so glad this is where I ended up!

14. puggleperson55

Pre-Veterinary
    I am applying here this cycle as well!

15. Spoot

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Am I understanding this correctly: first year as an OOS student, tuition is 48k. For the next three years, assuming you gain in-state residency, it's ~22k. Leaving the total tuition around 117k?

16. OP
    OP
    JiuJitsuGirl95

I saw those stats for 2017-2018. But 2018-2019 I see first year is 71k then the rest of the years are 32k (48k on the last year). Basically you can get residency after year one. A few other schools offer this as well!

17. Spoot

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Oh believe me, I applied to all the schools where this is possible :laugh:. But my question was essentially "am I getting the numbers correct," because if so that's a good ~80,000 cheaper than most schools OOS tuition!

EDIT: Disregard everything I was looking at incorrect figures haha.

#17 Spoot, Oct 4, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  18. OP
    OP
    JiuJitsuGirl95

Lol I think the most up to date figures put each year at about 45k which is still one of the cheaper OOS schools

19. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    2017-2018 it was about 69k for oos for that first year, not 48k. So it definitely wasn’t a huge jump between the years just in case you saw that and it concerned you :laugh:

20. OP
    OP
    JiuJitsuGirl95

Lol I was looking at Oklahoma for the 2017-2018 expenses. That jump would be concerning!
    Either way, I know Ohio’s first year is ridiculously expensive but the years that follow are reasonable.

SkiOtter likes this.
  21. Spoot

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Same thing with me. I just clicked the first Google link haha. It end up being cheaper than most schools still, but considerably less so. Mizzou is cheaper for an OOS.

22. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Yeah and then you also have to consider housing costs too. Columbus could be a lot more than like mizzou or WSU or ncsu which drives up your loans with that too :)

Spoot and JiuJitsuGirl95 like this.
  23. Spoot

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Exactly, housing and cost of living drive Ohio up a bit. God, I won't have to think about any of this if I get into NCSU. But the odds of that are...what's that saying? "A slim, ghost of a snowball's chance in a fiery hellscape"? Something like that

SkiOtter and JiuJitsuGirl95 like this.
  24. OP
    OP
    JiuJitsuGirl95

HAH. I have the same chances for my in-state (Florida). Hoping my diverse experiences make me shine :D

dancelover12 likes this.
  25. horsegirlx

Pre-Veterinary
    Yeah I've heard that Ohio sort of forces you to take out a loan that accounts for all of your estimated living expenses for your first year which hikes up the cost. I guess you can't really get outside help from parents or use savings if it wasn't from working in Ohio which sucks

26. OP
    OP
    JiuJitsuGirl95

What?? That’s crazy! Why does it make sense to take out loans if someone can afford to pay out of pocket? What a scam.

27. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    It’s one of the stipulations of gaining residency. You can’t use any money from outside the state. Once you gain residency they don’t care where your money is from so if your parents wanted to help you after first year they could, they just couldn’t help you during first year. Honestly it’s not a terrible system since you’re getting in state tuition afterwards. And if you had enough money saved up where you would’ve been able to pay for all four years out of pocket, you could just just pay off the loan *shrug*
    Blame the state, not the school. States are usually the ones setting residency requirements.

Karabiner13 and JiuJitsuGirl95 like this.
  28. motherofamstaffs

motherofamstaffs c/o 2023 hopeful

Pre-Veterinary
    SAME!

Dinashadow likes this.
  29. motherofamstaffs

Pre-Veterinary
    I'm so glad to hear that! Ohio is my top choice, and I'm sooo hoping to get an interview. I'm OOS, first-timer, non-traditional so we shall see.

30. OP
    OP
    JiuJitsuGirl95

That’s true, just a lot of moving parts, I don’t like it!
    I’m not exactly sure how the vet school loans work but I’m sure they begin gaining interest immediately. So the only way to avoid interest is paying the loan off in full I imagine?

31. mmmdreamerz

mmmdreamerz c/o 2021
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    OSU doesn’t “force” you to do anything and its not a “scam.” You are perfectly able and welcome to pay out of state tuition all four years, but in order to get instate tuition, you have to prove that your money is coming from loans/ money earned in their state of Ohio and then you are completely financially dependent of any family members. All of this only matters during the first year that you are applying, but they ask for a good bit of documentation. I did it. It’s a little bit of work, but definitely doable and 100% worth it.

32. mmmdreamerz

mmmdreamerz c/o 2021
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I was OOS and and a first time applicant too, pretty traditional, but I have some awesome classmates who are non-trad. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions:)

motherofamstaffs likes this.
  33. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    DEFINITELY not a bad deal or a scam for half priced tuition as an OOS student.

JiuJitsuGirl95 and Karabiner13 like this.
  34. horsegirlx

Pre-Veterinary
    Didn't mean force in a negative connotation, definitely is worth it to get IS tuition. :)

35. M&D

M&D

Pre-Veterinary
    Hi guys,

I got an email from OSU about my deficiencies/my outstanding micro course. Just making sure - I don't need to send anything back until I finish the course, right? I don't wanna contribute to their many inquiries if I don't have to.

agzs2015 and JiuJitsuGirl95 like this.
  36. OP
    OP
    JiuJitsuGirl95

That is correct. I got a similar email yesterday about physiology which I am taking now. I asked them if I needed to do anything outside of send the transcript when I’m done, and they said no. They said it was just a reminder that I still needed that requirement.

M&D likes this.
  37. Bkr0202

Pre-Veterinary
    I applied OOS!

38. mmmdreamerz

mmmdreamerz c/o 2021
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    GOOD LUCK!

39. scags

Did anyone else get a email about a voluntary survey and have a minor heart attack?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

40. Dinashadow

Dinashadow Tufts c/o 2023

Pre-Veterinary
    YES

41. goofygabe14

Waiting to hear back for the interview! Does anyone know their timeline?

42. M&D

M&D

Pre-Veterinary
    I did a tour of the vet school on Friday so I asked admissions. I was told that interviews are planned to go out in the middle of December, and dates are January 3rd, 4th, 5th, 13th, 20th, 27th. Good luck everyone!

43. motherofamstaffs

Pre-Veterinary
    Thank you so much for letting us know the interview dates!
    What were your impressions on the vet school/program? The good & the bad?

KTpass and gotadognamedbiden like this.
  44. Cephal0pod

Cephal0pod c/o 2020
    7+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I remember that frustration well. :laugh:

Good luck guys! There are few of us buckeyes floating around SDN, feel free to shout if you have any questions.

scags and mmmdreamerz like this.
  45. Jakey1414

forgot to do the supplemental :|

46. M&D

M&D

Pre-Veterinary
    I went with the prevet club and I was responsible for the group which meant I had to ask for directions and such, and everyone I met there was very helpful and pleasant, which I think says a lot about the atmosphere at the school. They just opened a new skills lab recently, which is pretty cool, and the tour guide emphasized that they are trying to get students comfortable with clinical skills earlier on that what has been in the past. Their large animal facility was larger than any that I have seen (I've only seen 3). They had a really nice setup for feline patients such as separate waiting areas enclosed in glass and feline friendly exam rooms. The tour guide was very assuring in terms of the fact that you don't have to be a straight-A student to get in to vet school. She said she was about a 3.5 and doing great + she got a significant scholarship her first year. I'm probably forgetting a bunch of stuff... In terms of "bad" stuff, I guess there's no real hands on experience before 3rd year (like most schools but not all) and the weather in Columbus was pretty grey so that sucks (lol, I should have planned the tour for August or something).

cheval12 and motherofamstaffs like this.
  47. mmmdreamerz

mmmdreamerz c/o 2021
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Glad you enjoyed your tour! The faculty at OSU are incredible. Vet school is so different than undergrad in that every faculty member genuinely does care and go out of their way to help you. They want you to succeed. The clinical skills lab has been open since September and they are working to incorporate more and more clinical skills into the curriculum. It’s a pretty amazing lab and everyone involved is really passionate about it.

While there’s not a ton of hands on animal experience specifically built into the curriculum, the reality is that I’ve had more opportunities than I ever imagined presented to me both at school and by reaching out to vets outside of school. There’s some pretty awesome summer externship programs through the school and clubs do pretty cool wetlabs.

Also, Columbus is such an awesome place to live.

I’m so glad I ended up here and can’t imagine being anywhere else.

48. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Lolllll welcome to the Midwest where the sun is rare in the winter :laugh:

gotadognamedbiden likes this.
  49. M&D

M&D

Pre-Veterinary
    Honestly I live in Northeast Ohio for 5 years (on Friday) so I should be used to it by now. But I'm not! Who doesn't like palm trees?

gotadognamedbiden and SkiOtter like this.
  50. agzs2015

agzs2015 Ohio State c/o 2022
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Hey guys! I'm a current first year at Ohio State!! Please message me if you have any questions! I need a distraction from studying for finals. :p