Ohio State c/o 2024

Started by MSM1444
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all, when do you think will be a good time to go physically to view apartments etc? I’ve been browsing here and now but what’s the general moving in timeline? I’m OOS so I don’t know where and when I should really start to look. I’ve been looking at the recommended listed places and the recommended “north of 70 and west of 71” mentioned in last year’s thread.

Thanks again!! Esp current students- I really appreciate you! [emoji4]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Hey everyone! I’m a 4th year at OSU and, while it sounds like they’re making lots of changes that I don’t know much about, I may be able to answer some other questions everyone has about going to school here or Columbus in general!

is there a Facebook page for newly admitted osu students?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN
 
Hey all, when do you think will be a good time to go physically to view apartments etc? I’ve been browsing here and now but what’s the general moving in timeline? I’m OOS so I don’t know where and when I should really start to look. I’ve been looking at the recommended listed places and the recommended “north of 70 and west of 71” mentioned in last year’s thread.

Thanks again!! Esp current students- I really appreciate you! [emoji4]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I started looking in March for April...keep in mind that upperclassmen will also be looking to fill spots in houses once your classmates Facebook group gets made.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would current students recommend living with a roommate for our first year?
I think it just really depends on your preference. Personally, no matter where I decide to accept my seat this fall I am going to try and live alone. I have my two dogs and just prefer living alone! But if you are fine with roommates then it will probably save you some money! Vet school is going to be stressful enough, don't add to the stress with a living situation that makes you uncomfortable.
 
I lived alone for two years and now have roommates because I start clinics in April and wanted to potentially have someone around to let my dog out.
mmmdreamerz, what helped you choose Ohio State? I just received notification of a second acceptance, so I'm weighing my options!
 
I completely agree with this. I hope the FB page will be helpful with finding someone 🙂
They create a Roommate Guide that you can fill out with info about yourself, what you’re looking for in a roommate, and things related. I’ve had a roommate all 4 years, primarily for financial reasons.
 
For current students, in your opinion, do you think that it is manageable to have pets while being in vet school? I am considering adopting a dog from the humane society, however, I don’t want to adopt and not have the time to spend with the dog because I am too busy with classes. That wouldn’t be fair to the dog. Any advice is appreciated!
 
mmmdreamerz, what helped you choose Ohio State? I just received notification of a second acceptance, so I'm weighing my options!

OSU was my top choice going in. Location, ability to get in state tuition (I was OOS everywhere), really liked Columbus (still do...would stay forever if I could!), how welcoming everyone was from the start...there was a lot of things. No place is perfect, but I’ve enjoyed my time here a lot.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For current students, in your opinion, do you think that it is manageable to have pets while being in vet school? I am considering adopting a dog from the humane society, however, I don’t want to adopt and not have the time to spend with the dog because I am too busy with classes. That wouldn’t be fair to the dog. Any advice is appreciated!

Speaking as someone who got a puppy the summer after first year, I can say it was the best decision i ever made. That said, consider waiting until after at least your first semester. First year in general would have been hard with an adult dog and impossible with a puppy. First semester is a big adjustment while you figure out what you need to do to succeed.
 
Speaking as someone who got a puppy the summer after first year, I can say it was the best decision i ever made. That said, consider waiting until after at least your first semester. First year in general would have been hard with an adult dog and impossible with a puppy. First semester is a big adjustment while you figure out what you need to do to succeed.
This is so helpful! It has definitely been something that I’ve been trying to decide on for a bit now. A big factor is that I plan to rent an apartment in Columbus by myself and I like the sense of security a dog can give me. Plus, I have a cat that would love to have a friend lol. But you make a lot of sense about waiting a year to adopt a pup. Thanks!
 
Do any current students have suggestions on storage size for the iPad? I know the OSU page says 32 GB is small and runs out too quickly, so they recommend the 64 GB option. In your opinion is 64 enough, or should I consider the next size up? (I think it’s 128 GB)
 
Do any current students have suggestions on storage size for the iPad? I know the OSU page says 32 GB is small and runs out too quickly, so they recommend the 64 GB option. In your opinion is 64 enough, or should I consider the next size up? (I think it’s 128 GB)

As a reference, I have 1700 PowerPoints downloaded to notability which encompasses almost the entirety of years 1-3. Definitely get the 128 unless you plan to delete stuff as you go. You do get free box storage to back everything up.
 
As a reference, I have 1700 PowerPoints downloaded to notability which encompasses almost the entirety of years 1-3. Definitely get the 128 unless you plan to delete stuff as you go. You do get free box storage to back everything up.

I was considering the 512GB, do you think that is that overkill?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I was considering the 512GB, do you think that is that overkill?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO yeah. I have the 128 and it’s more than enough. 64 would have been too small though. That said, I really only use it for vet school stuff and also have a MacBook for other things.
 
For fellow oos students, when I was on the phone with the dean, he told me that the new plan for oos tuition will be decided by the end of the month. As of right now, he said there is a 99% chance of it passing. Just thought everyone should know 😊
 
For fellow oos students, when I was on the phone with the dean, he told me that the new plan for oos tuition will be decided by the end of the month. As of right now, he said there is a 99% chance of it passing. Just thought everyone should know 😊
Are we going to get an email about it when the decision is made?
 
For fellow oos students, when I was on the phone with the dean, he told me that the new plan for oos tuition will be decided by the end of the month. As of right now, he said there is a 99% chance of it passing. Just thought everyone should know 😊
Also can someone explain to me again what may get passed? I remembered hearing about it from my interview but I can’t remember what exactly it will do.
 
Also can someone explain to me again what may get passed? I remembered hearing about it from my interview but I can’t remember what exactly it will do.
Basically, as an oos, we pay the is tuition plus the oos fee. Instead of paying 30k for the oos fee, after the first year we will only have to pay in state tuition and a $5 oos fee. So we wouldn’t have to change state residency. At least that’s how I’ve been understanding it
 
Basically, as an oos, we pay the is tuition plus the oos fee. Instead of paying 30k for the oos fee, after the first year we will only have to pay in state tuition and a $5 oos fee. So we wouldn’t have to change state residency. At least that’s how I’ve been understanding it
Yep that’s basically it! They’ll make it so every OOS student automatically gets in state tuition after the first year, so you don’t have to apply for residency.
 
Once we accept our seat, does the school provide a list of apartments nearby? Or is apartment hunting mainly on you?
 
Hey fellow classmates!! The excitement has not worn off - not even a little. I am IS and was doing the same - browsing for apartments. I am making a list of really nice one bedrooms close to the vet school and then I am going to set up a day or 2 and go down to look at them. I am planning on setting myself up for the next 4 years - I don't want to have to move around. My boyfriend will be joining me when he graduates from YSU in December. I am super fortunate and grateful to have full financial support from my parents who will be paying for my living expenses and just about everything else. There are some really spectacular apartments within a 10 mile radius of the vet school. When I go on the hunt - I will take good notes and pictures and report back with my findings - the good, the bad, and the gross.

I have seen a few lists out there that other vet students have recommended. I know several current students and have friends and family that live in the surrounding Columbus areas. I can't imagine how hard the apartment search is if you are OOS. We are all different so it all comes down to how high or low your living standards are and how much you are able to pay. There are just so many different places to live.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
0237F121-BBDC-42EE-A52C-BB71BF1AC17D.jpeg

My boyfriend sent this to me and I was cracking up haha
 
View attachment 295595
My boyfriend sent this to me and I was cracking up haha
As a Floridian, this is so accurate! So many people have asked me, "where is Ohio??" haha. But seriously, if anyone find good places to live, please share!! I'm planning to accept my seat and I'll be coming allllll the way from South Florida so I have no idea where to start 🤔
 
Just a suggestion for anyone - I’m an undergrad at OSU and I’m at University Gardens. It’s about a 15 minutes drive from campus (20 in the morning with traffic) and in a decent area. Rent is $635 a month for a two bedroom. I think they have one bedrooms as well but I’m not 100% sure. Utilities are reasonable - I split costs with one other person and I pay about $420 total for rent/gas/electric/water/internet. Kroger and Giant Eagle are like 5 minutes away. They do allow pets as well.

Also this website was super helpful when I was looking at apartments! 2244 properties found : Off-Campus and Commuter Student Services You can search different things like monthly rent and if pets are allowed, it’s a great starting point.
 
One of my good friends is from SoCal and she has no desire to go back now haha

Winter sucks, but there’s nothing like fall🙂
Gahhhhh I’m so nervous about it. Mostly about no mountains because I’m always hiking/backpacking. BUT I guess that means some locals will have to show me around + ROAD TRIPS!
 
Questions for any current students:
When I visited Purdue the students said that the library stacks a lot of the textbooks that are necessary, as well as most students, will let others borrow or sell their books to the younger class. Does Ohio do something similar?
Also, is the building accessible at any time?
I know that in April the FB page will open up for our class but is that a bit late to start looking for apartments and roommates? I definitely want a roommate that's also a vet student. Should I start looking now?

Thanks for all the help! I am like 99.9999999% sure that I will pick Ohio and I'm really excited to meet everyone 😀
 
Im also curious as to when the best time to start apartment searching is. I dont plan to move to Columbus until beginning of August but I dont want to miss out. And, for current students, what apartments do you recommend? And how hard are they to get? Thanks!
 
Questions for any current students:
When I visited Purdue the students said that the library stacks a lot of the textbooks that are necessary, as well as most students, will let others borrow or sell their books to the younger class. Does Ohio do something similar?
Also, is the building accessible at any time?
I know that in April the FB page will open up for our class but is that a bit late to start looking for apartments and roommates? I definitely want a roommate that's also a vet student. Should I start looking now?

Thanks for all the help! I am like 99.9999999% sure that I will pick Ohio and I'm really excited to meet everyone 😀
9.5/10 you don’t even need textbooks. You can get the ebooks off line or go to the library if you do. The building is 24/7 access (the library does have specific hours though).

I think I started looking for a place in March or April
 
Im also curious as to when the best time to start apartment searching is. I dont plan to move to Columbus until beginning of August but I dont want to miss out. And, for current students, what apartments do you recommend? And how hard are they to get? Thanks!
Governours Square is pretty popular among vet students
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Governours Square is pretty popular among vet students
Yes, I have heard that but I have read many bad reviews about the place. Especially concerning the high utility fees that they charge, cars being broken into, and inflated fees for having a pet. I really like the location of this place but the reviews make me nervous. Do you know anyone who lives here and finds it to be a good option? Thankyou so much for answering my silly questions!
 
Yes, I have heard that but I have read many bad reviews about the place. Especially concerning the high utility fees that they charge, cars being broken into, and inflated fees for having a pet. I really like the location of this place but the reviews make me nervous. Do you know anyone who lives here and finds it to be a good option? Thankyou so much for answering my silly questions!

I lived there for a couple years and had no issues. Not the cheapest option, but a nice place. Maintenance was good. Location was great. Pros and cons.
 
Yep March 1! It’s the last school I have to hear from so depending on what they say will determine if I accept my offer at OSU or not.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk