Program-Specific Info / Q's Ohio State OTD 18-19 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otdornottobe

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody! I wanted to start a thread and discussion for the OTD program at Ohio State for the 18-19 app cycle. My application was verified Oct. 10 and I just received an interview offer today by e-mail. Interviews are Dec 8, and I believe they only have one round of interviews. The e-mail said that I have 5 days to respond before the next person is notified, so to those who applied to OSU and have not heard back yet be hopeful! I will be accepting my spot, but others may not! I know someone on here will ask so I will put my stats below haha

Degree: Will receive May 2019, B.S. in Recreational Therapy from Oklahoma State University
Cum GPA: 3.3
Pre-req GPA: 3.4
GRE: V-156, Q-157, W-5.0
Observation: Over 100 hours, 3 settings
Volunteer: over 500 hours-summer camps, non-profits, elementary schools, etc
Extracurricular: various roles in several organizations, pres, vp, etc
Research: 3 studies as a RA, and PI of my own study this year under a mentor
Internship: RT internship at psychiatric hospital, 560 hours
LOR: 1 professor/mentor did research with/under, 1 OT I shadowed, and 1 from internship supervisor
Work experience: worked for a couple of years at a government agency that worked to train and distribute assistive technology to individuals with disabilities around the community.

Has anyone else heard back from OSU?
Good luck to those who may be notified soon! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I will also be interviewing with OSU on Dec 8, but the program actually has 2 interview dates - one in December and one in January.

Hi! I will also be interviewing with OSU on Dec 8, but the program actually has 2 interview dates - one in December and one in January.

Thanks for clarifying! Good luck on your interview! I know in years past they have sent out an email with example questions they may ask so I’m looking forward to that when the Dec spots get filled up!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for clarifying! Good luck on your interview! I know in years past they have sent out an email with example questions they may ask so I’m looking forward to that when the Dec spots get filled up!

Thank you and same to you!! I hope they do send some example questions out, that would be really helpful!

Hello! Congrats on the interview, so exciting!! Did you apply/meet the criteria for a fellowship?

Hello! Congrats on the interview, so exciting!! Did you apply/meet the criteria for a fellowship?

Hi! Yes, I did. I applied for the GE fellowship. I am not sure on the status of these, as they interview for these as well and require fellowship applicants to go to the earliest interview time. I plan on asking about the fellowships at my interview but my guess would be they review those applications after they accept/reject people after the first round of interviews.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For those of you who accepted the interview, did you get an confirmation email or did the webpage just show you you had registered?

For those of you who accepted the interview, did you get an confirmation email or did the webpage just show you you had registered?

Webpage showed that I had registered. I’m sure it’s fine. If you wanna double check you could call them. They did say, though, that we will receive an email with more detail closer to the date and as the spots filled up. Has anyone received that yet?

Webpage showed that I had registered. I’m sure it’s fine. If you wanna double check you could call them. They did say, though, that we will receive an email with more detail closer to the date and as the spots filled up. Has anyone received that yet?

Same, no email confirmation, just the webpage showing that I had registered. I haven’t got the itinerary email yet, and I was planning on reaching out to the program if I hadn’t heard anything by the beginning of next week!

Hi everyone! So i was invited for an interview! yay! however, when i click on the link to respond to a time it says that the time i picked has been filled up and to pick another one. I tried picking all 4 times provided, and each said the same thing. Do you guys know whats up or? I plan on calling tomorrow about it, but thought id ask here too!

Hi everyone! So i was invited for an interview! yay! however, when i click on the link to respond to a time it says that the time i picked has been filled up and to pick another one. I tried picking all 4 times provided, and each said the same thing. Do you guys know whats up or? I plan on calling tomorrow about it, but thought id ask here too!
Hi! The same thing actually happened to me today. I emailed the lady who sent it and asked for the day and time I wanted. She then replied that it was an error that it was sent and was premature but that I had not been denied. I know about three other people that this happened to today! I wonder what happened. It is frustrating.

Hi! The same thing actually happened to me today. I emailed the lady who sent it and asked for the day and time I wanted. She then replied that it was an error that it was sent and was premature but that I had not been denied. I know about three other people that this happened to today! I wonder what happened. It is frustrating.
whatttt. so youve still been offered an interview, right?

whatttt. so youve still been offered an interview, right?
No, she said that my application is still in consideration but I have not been invited at this time. This also happened to three other people I know. I can only imagine how many other individuals got their hopes up as well! Yours may be one of the emails that was supposed to be sent. Do not let my message discourage you! Definitely check with them to be sure

Members don't see this ad :)
No, she said that my application is still in consideration but I have not been invited at this time. This also happened to three other people I know. I can only imagine how many other individuals got their hopes up as well! Yours may be one of the emails that was supposed to be sent. Do not let my message discourage you! Definitely check with them to be sure
wow, that is awful. I really hope that is not the case. I am so sorry. I know that it sucks to wait so long, then get an email and it be false. I emailed her as well, and wont get a response until the morning. I am sure you will get your interview tho!

wow, that is awful. I really hope that is not the case. I am so sorry. I know that it sucks to wait so long, then get an email and it be false. I emailed her as well, and wont get a response until the morning. I am sure you will get your interview tho!
I hope that you actually got one! Let me know what she says:)

I hope that you actually got one! Let me know what she says:)
I heard back today, and I did get an interview! I scheduled it for the 8th. I know a couple people that got "false" emails about an interview, but then got another email saying that they did get an interview. So, I hope you get good news soon!

I heard back today, and I did get an interview! I scheduled it for the 8th. I know a couple people that got "false" emails about an interview, but then got another email saying that they did get an interview. So, I hope you get good news soon!
I just got informed 2 hours ago that I did get an interview! I am so glad!! Congrats to you as well:) Best of luck!

Hey everyone! I am new to this! I am also interviewing on the 8th! Congrats to everyone! This is a weird question but the school never got back to me: My English credit is ENG 2001 Into to Writing Across the Curriculum. Do you guys think this will count for the writing pre-requisit?

I think this year they are also having some issues with emails. They called me to confirm my interview because they were unable to email me! So it may come a little late.

Hey everyone! I am new to this! I am also interviewing on the 8th! Congrats to everyone! This is a weird question but the school never got back to me: My English credit is ENG 2001 Into to Writing Across the Curriculum. Do you guys think this will count for the writing pre-requisit?

Congrats to you as well!

Not sure about the writing course! I would try contacting them again via email or phone, or you could probably even ask about it at some point during the interview! I know the writing course I was going to use as a pre-req was also a 2000 level course, but I did my undergrad at OSU. Also, I got an email a while back from the program that said they were waiving the writing pre-req if you scored a 4.5 or higher on the GRE writing section. So it could possibly be waived for you too!

Congrats to you as well!

Not sure about the writing course! I would try contacting them again via email or phone, or you could probably even ask about it at some point during the interview! I know the writing course I was going to use as a pre-req was also a 2000 level course, but I did my undergrad at OSU. Also, I got an email a while back from the program that said they were waiving the writing pre-req if you scored a 4.5 or higher on the GRE writing section. So it could possibly be waived for you too!

Okay! Thank you!

Has anyone heard anything about admissions?

Yes, I just checked my buckeyelink online, and it said I was offered admission. I haven’t received an email yet or anything though.

Yes, I just checked my buckeyelink online, and it said I was offered admission. I haven’t received an email yet or anything though.

Congrats! Where on the BuckeyeLink would you be notified of this? I also know last year, people were offered admission as late as the 21st!

Thanks! So, if you’re on the home page of your buckeyelink, you should be able to just scroll to the bottom of that page and see a tab called “admissions”. If you click on application status, it’ll take you to a page that tells you the status of your app. Also, under the admissions tab, I can now see an accept/decline link for me.

I hope I explained that well!

Thanks! So, if you’re on the home page of your buckeyelink, you should be able to just scroll to the bottom of that page and see a tab called “admissions”. If you click on application status, it’ll take you to a page that tells you the status of your app. Also, under the admissions tab, I can now see an accept/decline link for me.

I hope I explained that well!
Congrats!! Do you think you're going to accept? Yes that made sense, my application is under review is what it says.

Congrats!! Do you think you're going to accept? Yes that made sense, my application is under review is what it says.

Thank you! I’m honestly so torn at the moment. I absolutely love Ohio State, but I also got into the University of Toledo and I could live with my parents and save money if I went with Toledo. So, I have a lot of thinking to do, haha.

Congrats! Mine still says being reviewed too! Hope to hear back soon! It is definitely my number one choice!

I also got the error email in November, but I have an interview January 19th! Any tips for interview day?

I also got the error email in November, but I have an interview January 19th! Any tips for interview day?

Best of luck! Just try to stay relaxed the day of! OSU sends out an itinerary beforehand that has interview questions/topics, and that’s pretty much all I used to prepare. Also, it will be helpful to know their admissions vision statement.

Congrats!! So exciting!! Have you received an email with any more information? Also, did you meet the criteria to be considered for a fellowship/scholarship?

Congrats!! So exciting!! Have you received an email with any more information? Also, did you meet the criteria to be considered for a fellowship/scholarship?

Thank you! Yes, I’ve received two emails since then, but they have been directly from the graduate school at OSU, not the OT department. Basically just said what my buckeyelink said, two weeks to put down a deposit and then sending in final transcripts and stuff.

I didn’t apply for any fellowships, I just missed the cutoff for the merit based one and then I didn’t think I was diverse enough for the other one, haha. I haven’t looked into scholarships yet though!

Hi! Has anyone else heard back? I'm wondering if they will send some info before Christmas or just wait to hear back until after the January interviews.

Hi! I have not heard anything yet either. I am wondering the same thing. I also interviewed on the 8th.

I have not heard back either, but I know someone who did. If we don’t hear anything by tomorrow, the end of the two weeks that they said, I’m ~assuming~ we won’t hear until February now.

I have not heard back either, but I know someone who did. If we don’t hear anything by tomorrow, the end of the two weeks that they said, I’m ~assuming~ we won’t hear until February now.
That's sadly what I think is gougo to happen. I hope they send some sort of email that they'll tell people later so we don't have to just wonder

So, I contacted them. If you haven’t heard back by now (if you interviewed the 8th), you have to wait until after Candidacy Day on the 26th to hear back. So prob hear back in the beginning of Feb. Hope that helps people out!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have any recent info about when we are supposed to hear back about admission?

Sometime in early February is all I know. Mine currently still says pending.

Does anyone know how far into the waitlist they go normally?

Well I am #34 so they go pretty deep lol, I’ll be withdrawing and going to another program though

I think it just depends on the people who receive a spot and if they decline or accept.

Lol yeah I’m not sure! Just depends on how many people don’t accept

has anyone been accepted that is planning to decline? im #3 on the waitlist and just wondering what my chances are of getting in

At the interviews in December they mentioned that, while it varies year to year, they typically go 15-25 deep into the waitlist.