Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Always nice to have another OK SNDer! I can answer Q's as well should you have them. 🙂Hi everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself. I am an IS C/O 2019 student. I can't wait to meet everyone in August!
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Always nice to have another OK SNDer! I can answer Q's as well should you have them. 🙂Hi everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself. I am an IS C/O 2019 student. I can't wait to meet everyone in August!
You should get the invite to the class Facebook page, and there are usually folk looking for roomies there. Welcome and congratulations!!Hey guys! I came off of the waitlist, so I can't wait to meet y'all! 🙂 What should I do to start searching for housing? I'm looking to have a roommate if possible.

From what I remember first year, I used dyce and the dog anatomy. Some people used the book for histology, but I just used a CD that circulates around. And that was it for first semester I think. You'll get a box of stuff with old exams and such from the buddy they assign you that is really helpful.I know it is still relatively early but...has anyone heard information regarding books for classes/classes in general? I saw that second year students were selling their books on the Facebook page but I want to be sure before I purchase them. Thanks!!
I'm a now third year, graduated under grad in 2010 and have yet to look back at any of my notes or books from then. The only one I know of for sure that correlates is pathway to pregnancy and parturition for third year and reprod isn't required so not many people have that book anyway. A friend said she looked at her old physiology book a couple times because the phys 2/ 3 professor wasn't the clearest, but I believe he has retired.My question is for current students....and kind of random...I start first year in August and I'm starting to pack up my house to get ready for our move to OK (yay!!) and I have my volumes and volumes of notes from orgo, micro, anatomy, biochem, nutrition, blah blah. Can I chuck this stuff or do you recommend I hold onto it for some possible, later reference? I'm going to keep my text books for the time being but what about notes and powerpoints?
I'm a now third year, graduated under grad in 2010 and have yet to look back at any of my notes or books from then. The only one I know of for sure that correlates is pathway to pregnancy and parturition for third year and reprod isn't required so not many people have that book anyway. A friend said she looked at her old physiology book a couple times because the phys 2/ 3 professor wasn't the clearest, but I believe he has retired.
That was the rumor last year since his daughter(s?) were starting vet school soon.... McCann???
That was the rumor last year since his daughter(s?) were starting vet school soon.
No, no.Stein finally retired? I hope this new guy isn't quite so specific with his answer key. Stein would be like you said femur instead of right femur bone of the right pelvic limb so your answer is incorrect.
Baha perfectNo, no.
It's right femur bone of the right pelvic limb of a large dog.
And you better be able to identify right from left with your eyes closed for the next time a patient comes in separated from its limbs and you have to reattach its legs.
Yep, as well as Dr. Morgan 🙁 . We have Mrs. Dr. PopeStein finally retired? I hope this new guy isn't quite so specific with his answer key. Stein would be like you said femur instead of right femur bone of the right pelvic limb so your answer is incorrect.
I jus got mine from amazon. You will be sharing tools with your dissection group mates, so make sure to label your own somehow to keep them separate.Where do you typically purchase the dissection supplies for anatomy lab? Did you purchase them from the bookstore, through the school's clubs, or elsewhere? Was there someplace where you could get an especially good deal?
what TT said. I went ahead and just used my white coat jacket as my anatomy jacket since I have little sentiment in me and hadn't bought any coats and that one was free. I had to get a couple more for second semester for immuno/parasit lab and for shadowing at the hospital. So, at least three are needed.How many white coats do we actually need to own. The list of materials they sent out said 2 does this exclude the one for the ceremony?
You can also get them from the uniform stop where you try on your white coat, or knights medical supply.Where do you typically purchase the dissection supplies for anatomy lab? Did you purchase them from the bookstore, through the school's clubs, or elsewhere? Was there someplace where you could get an especially good deal?
They usually have a sale at the beginning of the semester of nasty anatomy white coats for cheap. I kept my free one for intro for clinics since it needs to look nice. For parasit/immuno I used old ones from undergrad for like microbiology.How many white coats do we actually need to own. The list of materials they sent out said 2 does this exclude the one for the ceremony?
Hey everyone!
I am comparison shopping for anatomy instruments. What brand or brands would you recommend?
Thank you!
Usually within the first couple weeks of classes starting.When do the loans usually get dispersed? Just trying to figure out my rent and supplies and whatnot.
Closer to the top of this page I wrote what books I used, none were just recommended. Apparently dyce isn't required anymore, but it was definitely helpful and Lish uses it in comparative anatomy second semester. I didn't even look into any recommended books, just required. Oh and if McCann is really still teaching you'll need his books from cowboy copy which are just a giant pack of notes.So, in undergrad I only would get books that are required. What are all of your opinions on whether or not to get the recommended books? Are there any you guys found to be really helpful?
Thanks!! 🙂Closer to the top of this page I wrote what books I used, none were just recommended. Apparently dyce isn't required anymore, but it was definitely helpful and Lish uses it in comparative anatomy second semester. I didn't even look into any recommended books, just required. Oh and if McCann is really still teaching you'll need his books from cowboy copy which are just a giant pack of notes.
Yes, the ceremony is as much for family/friends to watch you begin your journey as it is to boost your moral. 🙂Regarding the white coat ceremony for first year students, is this something that you typically invite family to fly in for? I am excited about it and feel honored that our school has this ceremony for us - my husband will attend but I wasn't sure though if it was something I should ask my parents to travel for, or if it's more appropriate for them to come to the ceremony before clinicals. Thoughts?
Thanks Lupin21 🙂Yes, the ceremony is as much for family/friends to watch you begin your journey as it is to boost your moral. 🙂
It is really up to you and your people's thoughts on how necessary it is to attend. As sad as it is, sometimes it is the only ceremony for some people as they don't make it to clinics... Fingers crossed none of you have to deal with that!!!
Umm, none of the above? For phys 1 we didn't use any book, just PowerPoint's. Phys 2 if it is still McCann then you'll go to cowboy copy on Washington Street to get it but he usually doesn't have it ready until like the 2nd week of classes.I am starting to purchase books and supplies for veterinary school. Do we need to purchase the hardcover and pocket guide of
Guyton and Hall Textbook of Medical Physiology, 13e (Guyton Physiology)? Or, is it alright to just purchase the pocket guide?
Thank you.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.