OK to bring additional letter of Rec to interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VOR1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be appropriate to bring another letter to my scheduled interviews?
Just recently completed a rotation where I believe I can get a "glowing" recommendation.

Not sure that the three I already have submitted in PHOrcas would be this good.

Thinking of presenting it to the Directors during my one on one interviews.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you already got the interview based on the letters you have now. The interview is to meet you and get a feel for you in person. If you do great or bad in person, I don't think one more letter is going to change how they feel. Also, when would be a good time to pull it out?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you already got the interview based on the letters you have now. The interview is to meet you and get a feel for you in person. If you do great or bad in person, I don't think one more letter is going to change how they feel. Also, when would be a good time to pull it out?

I second! They already like what they see on paper. Now, they want to see how you interact with them and how you handle different situations.

Members don't see this ad :)

I agree. The letters you already have got you to your interview. That means you're pretty much equal to everyone else that got one on paper. Now they just want to see if you'd be a good fit for the program.

No, that would be weird....your application materials have already been reviewed. How you interview is what will land you on the rank list.

Last edited:
Maybe during the interview you can talk about your current rotation experience - and add in there that "my current preceptor can highly vouch for my excellent performance"

Awkward silence~~~ No need to bring additional letter as EVERYONE has stated above...you use the letters to get the interview which you already have! Just study hard and practice your interviewing skills! GL

Thanks for all the input.
Did NOT bring the letter or need to bring it up.
Everything went fine during the interviews.

Next hurdle is being up against current PGY 1's at 3 of my 4 interview sites.
From their websites most of them show a tendency to pick their own programs PGY 1's for their PGY 2's
Knowing this is going to make my ranking a crapshoot.