Oklahoma State 2024-2025 (c/o 2029 hopefuls)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hey guys! I do not see anywhere if OSU has a minimum number of required vet experience hours. Have I missed it somewhere?
 
I don’t think there is an official minimum but one of their “admissions process” PowerPoints on their applicant toolbox shows that they “recommend 500+ clinical veterinary hours” but do take both quality and quantity into consideration provided you make it past the initial GPA/quantitative review.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When does Oklahoma typically send interview invites? When do they usually send decisions?
This kind of stuff is often on their websites.

Oklahoma State only interviews in-state candidates. Out of state applicants do not interview. Fall semester grades have to be submitted in mid-January and OOS decisions are sent in late January-ish. IS interviews are in mid February with decisions sent in late February. Then they start pulling alternates in mid April.
 
Just jumping on here to say good luck to everyone this cycle! I was an alternate the last cycle and hoping for an acceptance this go around.
 
If anyone is looking for housing In Stillwater, OK reach out I’ve got a great pet friendly place with a fenced in yard available starting in June. I’m needing roommates! 🙂
 
I’m at a conference and they just gave a presentation about OkSU updates and it seems as if they’re planning to revamp admissions stuff quite a bit over the next couple years. This is what they told us:

They’re increasing minimum cGPA to 3.0 because people in the 2.8-3.0 range almost never actually get admission, so they feel it’s not fair to let them waste money applying.

They’re ditching GRE and Casper.

They’re adding a last 45 GPA consideration because that seems to correlate with student success.

They’re reviewing their interview procedures for IS. He talked about wanting to re-implement interviews for OOS in the next year or two because they want to make the metrics for IS and OOS more directly comparable.

They’re planning to go from 58 IS / 48 OOS up to 69 IS and 37 OOS. Sounded like this will for sure happen for 2026, but they’ve looked at it for the 2025 group too?

They also talked about the COE accreditation and the deficiencies in facilities and curriculum were very recently removed. Still deficient in clinical resources but showed favorable improvements and they hope that will go away soon.

Other points were that they’re looking at funding for hospital renovations or a new building, scholarships, loan forgiveness programs, etc.
 
I (thank God) got into my IS so I have a grateful perspective but TBH I’m irritated with the money spent this cycle to take the GRE and Casper just for them to decide the next year they are doing away with it. I needed the Casper for one other school I applied to but the GRE was only required by Oklahoma in my list of schools. The extra money and time I spent on top of an already stressful situation…ugh.

I do applaud them for the GPA adjustment to save people money, so I guess I’ll get over the GRE money waste in 2024.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I (thank God) got into my IS so I have a grateful perspective but TBH I’m irritated with the money spent this cycle to take the GRE and Casper just for them to decide the next year they are doing away with it. I needed the Casper for one other school I applied to but the GRE was only required by Oklahoma in my list of schools. The extra money and time I spent on top of an already stressful situation…ugh.

I do applaud them for the GPA adjustment to save people money, so I guess I’ll get over the GRE money waste in 2024.
They talked about how when they researched various metrics compared to student performance, Casper performance didn’t seem to be predictive of success as a vet student. And that higher Verbal GRE scores did show a positive correlation, but since they’re one of only two schools (or something like that) that still required GRE, they would be limiting their applicant pool to continue to require it if no one else does. I definitely understand being frustrated about having to take it though.
 
Hello all!

I just got my IS interview invite yesterday morning. Kinda freaking out as I was not expecting this at all, haha...
Are there any other IS people here with an interview invite?
 
Yes- I am an OOS waitlist. Happy with that, I wouldn’t be taking the spot if accepted but nice to know I was decently competitive.
 
Does anyone know how often the oos alternate list moves?
So last year, the admissions rep said that in some years it moves almost all the way but others it barely moves at all. Because they are one of the only schools that requires the GRE, they hypothesize that people who apply most likely are planning on attending due to the extra cost.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No, I took my classes at NSU but I feel the same way! I was so excited and thankful for the invite but I also am more nervous 😂
Yep, me too, me too... What time did you select?
I know that not everyone gets in post-interview, but I also know that the chances are much higher if you're invited to interview. I am trying to be realistic - telling myself there's no way. 🤐🤣
 
Yep, me too, me too... What time did you select?
I know that not everyone gets in post-interview, but I also know that the chances are much higher if you're invited to interview. I am trying to be realistic - telling myself there's no way. 🤐🤣
I chose one of the morning options! I’m excited! And yes, I know not everyone that interviews gets in but I’m just happy I got one!
 
Does anyone have any insight into how the admitted students day will differ from a ‘regular’ tour we could schedule another time? I am worried about waiting until April to see the facilities/ learn about the school as it is very close to the decision deadline. I am thinking about scheduling my own tour earlier than admitted students day so I can begin weighing my options.
 
Anyone had a phone call yet to get off of the OOS waitlist? I am just curious about how soon someone on the waitlist could hear?
 
I think there’s maybe a student panel and a couple extra things at admitted students day.

And I don’t think they start calling people off the waitlist until after April 15.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad