Oklahoma State C/O 2015!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yay TT!!! SOOOO happy for you!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone who plans on joining us as a member of the class of 2015, I made a facebook group! Do a search - "Oklahoma State University College of Veterinary Medicine - Class of 2015" - or just PM me for a link. I want to get to know everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
WOO! I got an acceptance today! I am so excited! I really had prepared myself for a rejection or waitlist, so it was an amazing surprise. Granted, I am going to visit the school before making any decisions, but that low out of state tuition is looking pretty nice.

WOO! I got an acceptance today! I am so excited! I really had prepared myself for a rejection or waitlist, so it was an amazing surprise. Granted, I am going to visit the school before making any decisions, but that low out of state tuition is looking pretty nice.

I've made this offer before, but now that OOSers are starting to get their letters, I'll make it again. I have a guest bedroom that anyone is welcome to use if you'd like to visit the school. TT will tell you I'm not -that- crazy, although the same can't be said for my dogs.

And I agree on the low OOS tuition. Half the reason I'm here is because it was the cheapest of all my acceptances/waitlists :laugh:

Last edited:
Yeah, her house is nice and smells fine, an she smells fine too. :) I only have a couch since husband needs an office too. But you can hang out at my house, lol.

Congratulations! Hope to see you around sometime! And I second what TT said about showing you around.

TT, Cowgirla, and LissaRae thanks so much for offering to show me around and/or a place to stay. I'll probably set up a trip and go with my dad, so I'll have him around to pay the bill for a hotel room. I want to know where everyone else is that has been accepted?!

I am a little annoyed because my letter had the clause that a couple of schools have thrown out: "we have overaccepted and should too many people accept our offer preference will go to those who sent their deposit first and the remainder will be placed on the waitlist"

How serious do you guys think this is? I don't want to lose my seat, but I would like to see the school before sending 500 dollars. I think I'll visit two weeks from today. Will that be soon enough to be one of the people with a for sure seat? I really have no idea how many people they accept for the 24 (?) OOS spots.

I know they called off the OOS wait list last year but I don't know how far they went. I think you should be fine. You might call Katrina Meinkoth in the admissions office and explain that you want to take a tour etc before sending in your deposit and see what she says.

Dear TT,

What do you think you are doing over here?! Juuuuuust kidding. You are sorely missed on the Western thread!

STW

yes...1/2 the debt is sort of hard to pass up....aren't you so glad that you aren't still waiting like all of us Western applicants?!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm Accepted! (I've watched this thread but not sure if i've posted in the past :p) My mom got the packet while I was away and called me!! :D

I'm not sure if I will be able to make the visit, but could you guys who have visited/interviewed/toured give me a few of the highlights of OSU? The tuition is very tempting and I know two vets who went to Oklahoma and loved it (one older and one younger). I already put my deposit down at Purdue, but I have my mind open still. Honestly, I was not expecting an acceptance so I was really surprised!

I was accepted IS at Purdue, and received my acceptance letter for Oklahoma today. I know it's a little bit more for tuition and I already have a townhouse lease in Indiana, but hopefully we can schedule a visit in a couple of weeks to see Oklahoma. I was kind of surprised actually, but more decisions to make.

Congrats to all who got in!!

I'm Accepted! (I've watched this thread but not sure if i've posted in the past :p) My mom got the packet while I was away and called me!! :D

I'm not sure if I will be able to make the visit, but could you guys who have visited/interviewed/toured give me a few of the highlights of OSU? The tuition is very tempting and I know two vets who went to Oklahoma and loved it (one older and one younger). I already put my deposit down at Purdue, but I have my mind open still. Honestly, I was not expecting an acceptance so I was really surprised!

I never looked at Purdue, so consider me biased against them.
But I think the more east coasters out here, the better! There are 2 NYers and 1 NJer in the class of 2014 :)
Highlights: low OOS tuition. LOW cost of living. I'm continually surprised by how low my bills are lol
Especially for LA folks, the school seems to give you a lot of opportunities to get involved over the teaching hospital, which I'm just discovering this semester. I'm a foal team captain, part of the emergency on-call team, and an ICU tech, so there will be lots of chances for me to be in the VTH barn this year!
I'm not as sure about the SA and job opportunities there, but they certainly don't mind me wandering around and poking my head into random rooms. I actually got yelled at by a tech for standing outside a room instead of just letting myself in and joining the conversations lol

We got a LOT of free dog food. 37 lbs from Purina and 17 from Hills. There are always other companies giving away free things as well, which is nice because it seems like a lot of other schools have done away with those programs. Lots of meetings with free people food as well. You could probably eat at school 4 nights a week if you wanted to.

Honestly one of the biggest reasons I ended up here was the cost of attendance being the lowest of all my other options, but for the most part I'm happy here. (Weeks like this with multiple exams are crappy, but unavoidable!) If you have any specific questions, let me know. If I can't answer it, I'll be LissaRae can.

Well, I'm an alternate. I know I can't complain but I am also an alternate at Mississippi State (I applied to four schools and got 2 rejections and these 2 as alternates) and the word "alternate" is getting to me! I wish a school loved me enough to just say "YES"! Of course they don't give us our ranking on the dreaded list, but do any of you happen to know how many were on it last year?

Congrats to those accepted! I'd love to join you!

Accepted! I'm thinking I may be making a road trip next week :)

Just so you know, next week is our spring break, so the school will be pretty deserted.
I'm around most of the week if its the only week that works for you and you'd like to get in the building to look around though. I'll be working some nights so I might be available at wierd times, but I don't mind being a tour guide. Send me a PM if you need to.

Just so you know, next week is our spring break, so the school will be pretty deserted.
I'm around most of the week if its the only week that works for you and you'd like to get in the building to look around though. I'll be working some nights so I might be available at wierd times, but I don't mind being a tour guide. Send me a PM if you need to.

And I should be available any time Cowgirla isn't. Except for margarita night that is!

And I should be available any time Cowgirla isn't. Except for margarita night that is!

Dang... it's my spring break and that's why I am considering it! I'm in Georgia, so it's kind of a long trip! Hm... I'll let you guys know what I decide. Y'all are awesome!

They are still going to be open for tours even though you guys have spring break! I am definitely coming next week, any suggestions for things I should check out while I'm there? :)

I just scheduled for a tour out there... definitely going to be weighing the pro's and con's of both schools over the next couple of weeks. I have a friend who was a classmate of mine as is now in the C/O 2014 who loves it there. Just got to figure out travel arrangements and flying 3 people is so expensive! I guess a road trip is in store.

I just scheduled for a tour out there... definitely going to be weighing the pro's and con's of both schools over the next couple of weeks. I have a friend who was a classmate of mine as is now in the C/O 2014 who loves it there. Just got to figure out travel arrangements and flying 3 people is so expensive! I guess a road trip is in store.

Would her name be Katy?

So I have a question, if I'm getting a tour of the school... should I dress professionally. I know it's not as formal as if it were an interview, and I'm already in, but I don't want to stand out if I am under/overdressed.

So I have a question, if I'm getting a tour of the school... should I dress professionally. I know it's not as formal as if it were an interview, and I'm already in, but I don't want to stand out if I am under/overdressed.

I would dress casual. Most of the students wear jeans and t-shirts. I haven't seen anyone dress up for a tour except on interview day. Plus, when you go to the large animal barn you will be walking through foot baths.

I am so excited for my visit. But, at the same time, I don't want to get too excited and then be let down. I really want to love the school. So I'm trying to keep my hopes down so I have to be impressed.

Also, if any of the current students have time, could you post in the factors when picking a school thread? Last I checked there still wasn't a post for Oklahoma State

I just did.... does that give away my identity? haha

I think I just added you...does that give my identity away? lol. I'm not a class of 2015'er but I'm an admin in your group lol (blame TT)

I can't add group members on my iPhone. It's a huge inconvenience. And the group randomly bugs out on the computer version, but that's entirely FB's fault.

I'm not hard to spot, just look for the blinding hair.

Runningonfaith, you just made me more excited for my visit! Glad you liked it. I have a question for current stillwater people: is now too early to find housing for the fall? I'm visiting this weekend and if i like it I'd like to try to find housing now and extend my trip if necessary rather than plan another trip and take more time off work

Runningonfaith, you just made me more excited for my visit! Glad you liked it. I have a question for current stillwater people: is now too early to find housing for the fall? I'm visiting this weekend and if i like it I'd like to try to find housing now and extend my trip if necessary rather than plan another trip and take more time off work

Nope, I found my house around this time last year and I absolutely love it! Great house, great landlord, I have no complaints! There are probabliy a dozen or so houses for rent in my neighborhood-- just 1-2 blocks away from the vet school itself.

When I was looking at houses, most landlords were very accomodating of the fact that I was only here for a weekend and needed to set up viewings ASAP.

I thought I would let you guys know how my visit went. First of all: the restaurants I tried were mediocre. Louie's maybe held some promise and luckily Cowgirla told me to give it a shot. I did however find the self-serve frozen yogurt place. So many yogurt flavor oprtions! That made me realize that I could live in Stillwater.

So I'm still trying to decide between KSU and OK State. The problem is that I visited KSU for an interview and they had everything organized so well. The dean of admissions spoke the interviewees, there was a question/answer session with current students, there were student led tours. The visits really made me feel like Kansas had a welcoming atmosphere with students who were super enthusiastic about being there. And I felt really comfortable. I'm not saying that OK-state lacked any of that, because I feel strongly that they offer that as well, but I'm not sure because I only got to interact with two women in the admissions office. I don't think the tour was conducted quite as well and I didn't get to rattle off random questions to any students. Despite this, I have talked to some current students through SDN and I am really happy to have this extra opportunity to find out what it's like to be a student at OSU. After talking to some people I'm actually feeling pretty good about Ok...but I'm notorious for avoiding commitment, so I'm going to keep thinking on it a little bit longer.

RunningonFaith, what was your visit like?

I love this place but the tours must be crap. Just sayin'. Everyone always looks bored out of their minds. (When I worked at Antech I would always have tours come and stare at me while the guide blabbered about the diagnostic lab... jeez.)

As for the food... hah. I like the little chain of Mexican places, Texas Roadhouse is fine, Boomerang's and Cafe Bella are both good local places. I like Kyoto's, I think their sushi is pretty good. Red Rock has wonderful sandwiches... then there are all the usual fast food places. I dunno. We eat at home a lot, or drive to OKC for the good stuff on the weekends. You get used to what it has to offer - my head would probably explode if I have 300+ choices for dinner in a 10 mile radius, lol.

I did not try any of those places! That must have been my problem. I also thought Hideaway(s?) was okay.

I love this place but the tours must be crap. Just sayin'. Everyone always looks bored out of their minds. (When I worked at Antech I would always have tours come and stare at me while the guide blabbered about the diagnostic lab... jeez.)

As for the food... hah. I like the little chain of Mexican places, Texas Roadhouse is fine, Boomerang's and Cafe Bella are both good local places. I like Kyoto's, I think their sushi is pretty good. Red Rock has wonderful sandwiches... then there are all the usual fast food places. I dunno. We eat at home a lot, or drive to OKC for the good stuff on the weekends. You get used to what it has to offer - my head would probably explode if I have 300+ choices for dinner in a 10 mile radius, lol.

Mmmmmm Red Rock...I wish they were open right now. I could go for some of their awesome soup, oh and their desserts. Dang it, now I am craving lemon bars.

I'm sorry you didn't get to talk to students. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me :).

The original Hideaway pizza? Yeah, they are kinda neat. The pizza is very dough-y, which I'm not a huge fan of, but the fried mushrooms are super yum.

Everyone raves about Eskimo Joe's. Yeah, yeah, it's famous and stuff. But if you don't want a big basket of cheese fries covered with bacon bits (or free beer for ladies on Thursday nights) then you won't like it much. And Mexico Joe's/Joseppi's are just... gross.

K, went to Eskimo Joe's. The chilli cheese fries were okay, but I went to this one place in Iowa that had buffalo chili cheese fries, and now everything else pales in comparison. Everything else at Eskimo Joe's (except the service, which was amazingly friendly) was not impressive. Then for lunch the next day we went to Mexico Joe's. Only after we ate did it dawn on us that Mexico Joes, Jossepi's, and Eskimo Joe's are all connected (definitely a face palm moment).

And I have a question: when you order beer is it 3.2? Because free beer on Thurs nights becomes much less appealing if its not real beer

Haha I'm sure the crap they pass out is 3.2. I know, it's sad. We do have a pub now with an impressive tap and a lot of bottles/cans as well, and most of those are 'normal' beers. Also, Lone Star at Roadhouse is always 6 point beer.

Cowgirla can attest to how silly some of the alcohol laws are here, but it's not too big of a deal... haha. If that's make or break for you, that might be a bad sign. ;)

I just called in to withdraw my app yesterday, so those on the alternate list, here's to you!! I decided that I am going to go to Purdue this fall. I couldn't afford a visit to Oklahoma, but by the sounds of it, its wonderful. I wish you guys all the best of luck and a wonderful time at OkSU!

Haha I'm sure the crap they pass out is 3.2. I know, it's sad. We do have a pub now with an impressive tap and a lot of bottles/cans as well, and most of those are 'normal' beers. Also, Lone Star at Roadhouse is always 6 point beer.

Cowgirla can attest to how silly some of the alcohol laws are here, but it's not too big of a deal... haha. If that's make or break for you, that might be a bad sign. ;)

Lissarae and I tried that pub on St Patty's Day. Wasn't that crowded, but we still waited on line for like 20 minutes, during which time only like 2 people ahead of us got their drinks. Very slow. We gave up and left. Maybe it was just that night, but I wasn't impressed.

And yes, Goldielocks and I had a bit of a conversation about silly Oklahoma laws. I still miss my Red Hook beer (Alcohol in it is above 6.5 percent, some of their brews are 8%, which is apparently illegal in this state :( )

And having had some amazing mexican food in other states, I'm not at all impressed by the mexican here. I've tried 2 of the El Taps, and Palominos.

Joe's is okay for a greasy burger if that's what you are in the mood for, but generally I have better luck at Louie's for food. I agree, it's still not "amazing" but if I have to eat out, that's where I tend to go lol I'm really not a big fan of Joe's fries either- had wayy better. I think Da Vinci's is pretty good too. Big portions, and pretty cheap too.
I'm -still- not used to the lack of Dunkin Donuts, and am slowly going broke between Aspen and Starbucks. (And I really don't find that Aspen is much cheaper than Starbucks. Must be my drink choice?)

The free beer on Thursdays is generally limited to Bud, Coors, and crap like that. ***tty beer. It's a lot better if you go there directly from Stonewall :laugh:

Is Boomerang that grease joint on Main? Because I would never recommend that place to someone. Yuck. Never been to Cafe Bella.
Red Rock is decent for lunch, but also not open on Sundays? Or something like that. Some of their sandwiches are better than others. They do weird things to some of them, must be a regional thing.

Goldielocks, I can tell you that I had to make a similar decision to the one you are facing now. And honestly, a lot of it came down to cost. KSU has a similar cost of living to here from what I've seen, but their tuition is significantly higher. And while I loved KSU's facilities (and the personal desks in the lab ::hungover:rool::) I couldn't justify an additional 10K a year just for those little things (or an additional 20K for Iowa...or an additional 50+K for AVC...) Don't go somewhere that feels wrong, but either way, just remember the amount of debt we will all be in. That's my 2 cents anyway, feel free to ignore it. I think the lack of an interview for OOSers is a detriment against OSU, because of the things you mentioned-- you dont get to see organized presentations, big tours, and you are limited in who is around to answer your questions. I had TT as a tour guide, and was able to ask questions of a few current (and future!) students, but I do agree that schools that interview put on much nicer events.

Hey all! So I was put on the waitlist at OKSU. Anyone know if they call off the waitlist much? The cheaper tuition is definetly calling my name. I was accepted to another school but, if called off the waitlist, I think I will attend!