Oklahoma State C/O 2015!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The OOS waitlist does generally move! No one can say exactly how much since they don't rank your positions (or they do, but won't tell you about it :hungover:) so it's mostly just a waiting game. But it does move, so don't give up hope entirely. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the ray of hope! I will let you all know if I hear anything!

Thanks for the ray of hope! I will let you all know if I hear anything!

I can think of...5 people off the top of my head. And since it's not something that anyone really talks about, that means there are definitely more than that! I know 5 doesn't sound like a lot, but when you think about-- there's only 20ish OOS people, which means 25%++ got in off the waitlist

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the lack of an interview for OOSers is a detriment against OSU, because of the things you mentioned-- you dont get to see organized presentations, big tours, and you are limited in who is around to answer your questions. I had TT as a tour guide, and was able to ask questions of a few current (and future!) students, but I do agree that schools that interview put on much nicer events.

I definitely agree! Or OK State should have an "Admitted Students Day". Anything where they get to really sell themselves.

Since you interviewed at KSU (I think LissaRae did too), how would you compare what it's like to be a student at OSU to what it seemed like it would be at KSU? I know that is an extremely subjective question lol, but I'm thinking in terms of student involvement, friendliness/helpfulness/enthusiasm of faculty, club opportunities...

I definitely agree! Or OK State should have an "Admitted Students Day". Anything where they get to really sell themselves.

Since you interviewed at KSU (I think LissaRae did too), how would you compare what it's like to be a student at OSU to what it seemed like it would be at KSU? I know that is an extremely subjective question lol, but I'm thinking in terms of student involvement, friendliness/helpfulness/enthusiasm of faculty, club opportunities...

Yes, LissaRae did as well.
Honestly, I don't really know. Club opportunities are going to be pretty much the same. We are a smaller school so there might be more opportunites to get to a leadership position within a club? I don't really know, that's just a guess on my part. We definitely have our share of wetlabs, etc, for the clubs as well, a couple different meetings a week between all the clubs, and I imagine KSU is pretty much the same in that regard.
Honestly, the two schools felt very similar to me in a lot of ways. I thought KSU's classrooms and all that were nicer and the labs, but I didn't think that was worth the extra 10K a year.

OSU does have an open house every year, but they really don't give the OOS students much notice before it. I think I got my acceptance less than 2 weeks before the open house last year, and just could not coordinate a visit/time off from work on that kind of notice. I brought that point up to the admissions office, that some people are coming frmo pretty far away, but it doesn't seem like it was much better this year. Our open house was March 5 this year. TT can tell you more about the open house, I wasn't able to go this year either, lol, so I don't really know what its all about. I do know that all of the clubs have tables set up, there are demonstrations, tours through the hospital/school, chance to meet and talk with lots of people, etc. Kind of like an interview day, but it's open to the public as well, so there are kids activities and such as well.

I agree with cowgirla in that I felt like the schools were very similar. From what I saw (and remember) at K-state the classrooms were a little nicer. I only remember seeing one lab though so I don't know how to compare them. Everyone was pretty friendly at both schools. For me, I was IS at Ok-State so that is where I went. Paying $15k vs $40+k was a no-brainer. Open house is a lot of fun. I think it is more for the general public than perspective students but it can be educational to either. Goldielocks- did an admissions lady give you your tour or a student? They are normally given by a student ambassador but since it was Spring Break I wasn't sure if that would happen.

I got a tour from an admissions lady, which I think wasn't as good as getting a student led tour. In hindsight, I don't know why I didn't ask someone on here to give me a tour. That would have been much better. I guess I thought it would be arranged better through them. They did give me some handouts and brochures, but the tour could have been better. And I don't want to be putting down the people in the admissions office, by the way. Because they were all very nice and tried their best to answer all the questions I threw their way

Sooo... I'd just decided on OK State over Kansas State when I found out I got into University of Tennessee. I can't take all of this decision making! But I thought I'd let you all know that after considering things since my last post, I had decided on OSU over KSU. So OK is still very much in the running. And thanks to everyone for their responses to my questions!

Man, decisions decisions!

I have always gotten a really positive vibe about UTK from people on this forum over the years. Tough choice! Is there much of a tuition difference?

This will probably sound silly but I was reminded today how awesome our janitors are. They are so friendly. They always ask how you are and are sympathetic when they see how much we study. One even brings us candy every once in awhile. They really seem to care about us even though they don't have to. I know it's not something to consider when you choose a school but it's a fun random fact.

This will probably sound silly but I was reminded today how awesome our janitors are. They are so friendly. They always ask how you are and are sympathetic when they see how much we study. One even brings us candy every once in awhile. They really seem to care about us even though they don't have to. I know it's not something to consider when you choose a school but it's a fun random fact.

They are amazing, all of them :love: Always have a minute to stop and chat, if you are stressed, they always ask if there is anything they can do to help (I suggested they make certain professors/exams disappears, but I guess that's beyond their willingness to help!). The candy is great, and if you want a quiet place to study, they have all the magic keys to hidden rooms that are nice and peaceful and tucked away. :)

I made friends with one lady in particular when I worked there! How odd. The office ladies (secretaries etc.) are all super nice too. NORMA IS RETIRING this June and that breaks my heart, I would totally go and eat lunch in her office during my breaks!

Ha! I will definitely put "nice janitors" on the pro list for OK State.

There is a price difference between UTK and OSU, but honestly I'm going to be paying less at either school than I would be paying to stay in CA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, give it some fair thought then. I think UTK is in a larger town. You interviewed, so you know what the school and town are like.

So, we'd love to have you join us, but you should pick whatever you think is best for you. Good luck!

I got a nice break and took a tour of OSU this weekend. While I loved the town and the school was very nice, I will be choosing Purdue over OSU since Purdue is in-state for me.

Good luck to everyone!!

So I've been doing a lot of thinking, and as hard as it is to pass up the opportunity to go to school with all you OK-Staters, I have decided on Tennessee. It was a really tough decision, especially considering how helpful current OKSU students have been. TT, Cowgirla, and 1CellNtheSea were all amazing at answering questions and giving me advice on the school and town.

Sad to see you go elsewhere, but glad you made a choice! UTK is great and I'm a bit jelly, but I have IS tuition to make me feel better at least. ;)

Now, you need to stay active on the forums so we can keep up with you. :)

Sad to see you go elsewhere, but glad you made a choice! UTK is great and I'm a bit jelly, but I have IS tuition to make me feel better at least. ;)

Now, you need to stay active on the forums so we can keep up with you. :)

How could you be jealous?! You get to stay in your house, don't have to uproot the hubby, plus OKSU seems like it is great for pathology with the diagnostic lab next door. Unfortunately, I'm still undecided on path or SA specialty, and I think that UT will have some more clinical opportunities.

And I'll definitely stick around here. The people on this forum have helped me so much that I'm looking forward to passing it on

So has anyone heard any news about whether or not the alternate list is moving yet?

:)

So has anyone heard any news about whether or not the alternate list is moving yet?

:)

Unfortunately, Oklahoma State's wait list usually doesn't move until June. I know some people got called off in July.

Unfortunately, Oklahoma State's wait list usually doesn't move until June. I know some people got called off in July.

:( Darn, really? Why do you suppose that is? Shouldn't they have an idea of who said "yes" or "no" on April 15th like the other schools? If that's the case, I wonder why they wait until June to start making phone calls to fill the open seats?

No idea, but that seems to be the case. I think they have early admits that they have to wait for spring grades (transcripts) from, plus anyone that had required courses left. Then they have to make sure these people are still 'in' and that the admits made good enough grades (they have a GPA thing to maintain), and then they evaluate waitlisters. They might look at spring grades for the waitlist, too.

Well, I got snail mail today from Oklahoma State saying that their class is now full and those of us on the alternate list can stop holding our breath. :shrug:

I'd be curious to know how many (if any at all) people got in off the waitlist. Congrats to those in the class of 2015!

There was a good influx of folks to the FB group, but some of those might be early admissions waiting until they were for sure in (based on spring grades).

But no, like 11 people so far, though some are OOS and some may be IS. But I'm sure *some* people did get in off the list.