Oklahoma Twisters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sumstorm

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a note to say I hope our friends in Oklahoma and Kansas are safe and sound tonight, and that those whose families are there know that their loved ones are ok.

Members don't see this ad.

Wishing the same to all <3

(And really hoping that this is a once in a lifetime type of deal that I'll never have to worry about after I get out there... I can handle thunderstorms, hurricanes and blizzards....tornados scare the s*#t out of me...)

I have lived in Oklahoma all my life and have never seen one. That said, days like today don't normally happen. The amount of strong tornadoes is what made it extraordinary. There are 4 confirmed dead across the state of Oklahoma. Meteorologists have been saying for like a week that the storms were coming. The teaching hospital and rest of campus at OSU open to the public for shelter (they have really big basements). Thoughts and prayers to the victims and families. Luckily, my hometown was spared.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am visiting for three days and let me tell you... it was INTENSE! We were glued to the TV all day watching and just got in before the sirens starting going. Thank goodness it didnt hit around OKC but the damage is just crazy. My thoughts go out to those that lost their houses and family members in the storms.

Wishing the same to all <3

(And really hoping that this is a once in a lifetime type of deal that I'll never have to worry about after I get out there... I can handle thunderstorms, hurricanes and blizzards....tornados scare the s*#t out of me...)

I've lived here for nearly 28 years and haven't seen one. Only had to take cover once and that was for a funnel (not touching the ground) about 1/2 mile away. It never did touch down. Don't let the fact that we get some tornadoes distress you. :)

Yeah, imagine studying for 2 finals... microbiology and biochem (which are both now done!)... and having all that action going on! It was sooo hard to concentrate!!

And because I'm a huge severe weather lover and I still haven't seen a tornado, when someone yelled "hey there's a funnel outside!" we all had to go run outside and look at the swirling sky for 30 minutes

that's oklahoma for you!

but my heart does go out to the families that were affected by this storm. It's always weird when it happens only a mile away from you

As the fiance of a professional storm chaster, I will agree that yesterday was VERY CRAZY! (his house in Norman was actually missed by about 50ft) These storms were so bad party due to the fact that they were moving 55-70MPH, so any tornado that touched down moved FAST! and the atmosphere was just right to produce incredibly powerful storms storms (dry hot air from the west, moist cooler air from the gulf = crazy days). The storms were actually too fast to chase (and I was driving fast), but they were very classic tornadic supercells. The National Weather Service predicted a 30% chance of tornadoes in the area from norman to the KS border...and when we say 30% chance of tornadoes in that small of an area, we're talking that there WILL be damage! Just FYI-they're predicting 30% tornado likelihood for the northeast portion of OK (Stillwater and North) tomorrow. So have a plan ready everyone in OK!

Also, Cowgirla-it's is not the "norm" but with weather, there is rarely anything that we can call "normal" so my best advice is to just listen to Gary England (even if he is annoying) and get to shelter if you think it's going to get bad...better safe than sorry.

I've seen one tornado in my lifetime. I was in Mexico most of this last week so I suppose I missed all the action. Good to hear that my house is probably still there!

In my basement haha here we go again! I hope stillwater is okay, it looks like it got hit pretty badly with the storms

No touchdown in the actual town...I think one touched down by Lake Carl Blackwell. We got lucky, hope Norman does too 70sfan

yup all quiet here in Norman. Now I just gotta hope my parents house in Broken Arrow stays good!

The idea is to be in a small, interior room with no windows. Sometimes that's a bathroom, but our house is square enough that the only interior bit with no windows is the closet in the computer room.

ETA: The husband says there are trees laying in the road and a bajillion power trucks near campus, so there must have been some nasty winds or a near touchdown in town, but no building destruction to be seen.

ETA2: Apparently there was a bit of a tornado as some damage is being reported, but nothing huge. Apparently the Whataburger has some damage. Heh. Here's a video if you'd like to see the tornado (before it went into town):

http://www.koco.com/video/23610401/index.html

They don't get to it until about 3:20 in the video.

Last edited: