smilin1590

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2009
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Just curious as to what some of the stats were of previous years Ross applicants. Doesn't have to be a current thread/list. I tried searching for something similar but I feel like this search engine is not the greatest. If someone is able to find an older thread can you please post the link. :D

cowgirla

Oklahoma 2014
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2009
mid-atlantic
Status
Veterinarian
Just curious as to what some of the stats were of previous years Ross applicants. Doesn't have to be a current thread/list. I tried searching for something similar but I feel like this search engine is not the greatest. If someone is able to find an older thread can you please post the link. :D

I can tell you I have a friend there now with a 3.0 GPA, and her GRE was right around 1000...I think it might have been 970, not entirely sure, and she had either a 3 or a 3.5 on the writing, can't remember.

She had a couple thousand hours of experience, mostly with horses and in a mixed animal clinic.

smilin1590

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2009
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Thanks Cowgirla! I'm just trying to get a rough idea, since I can't find a whole lot on their site. Also, how's she doing in her classes?

Last edited:

10+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2007
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I'd like to know this too.

Also, I don't know if anybody can answer this question. I just got a booklet in the mail from St George's yesterday and I noticed they had a 4 yr DVM, and then a 5, 6 and 7 year pre-vet/DVM. Some students in Scotland chose to do the 5 year DVM. Is this possible to do at St George's?

The application was pretty intense... they had a section on their app listing their pre-reqs and your grades. My general chem and physics grades suck... was wondering if applying for a 5 year might give me an edge over getting accepted.

CSU

Dec 15, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student

Also, I don't know if anybody can answer this question. I just got a booklet in the mail from St George's yesterday and I noticed they had a 4 yr DVM, and then a 5, 6 and 7 year pre-vet/DVM. Some students in Scotland chose to do the 5 year DVM. Is this possible to do at St George's?

The application was pretty intense... they had a section on their app listing their pre-reqs and your grades. My general chem and physics grades suck... was wondering if applying for a 5 year might give me an edge over getting accepted.
I considered SG and talked to them about weak chem and physics grades. They said they looked at the whole applicant but would not really discuss it further without an application on file. My grades were from a long time ago so they suggested some current good grades would help. If you apply for the 4 year program and get rejected, I would talk to them about what you could do to strengthen you app. It would be less expensive to show current abilities with classes closer to home if you absolutely have to. If you have other upper divsion science grades that are respectable, I think they might overlook the other grades. I would concentrate on demonstrating how those poor grades don't reflect your current abilities and why those kind of grades are behind you.

Last edited:

Hopeful07

SGU SVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2007
Status
Veterinary Student
Hi there

I honestly can't remember my undergrad GPA, I know it was different when I applied from when I graduated from undergrad, and it was something over a 3.0. But I can't remember it. (I can barely remember my name anymore let alone three years ago. :)) I do remember that in my interview, I had to explain for a low grade in one of my Organic Chemistry classes. So SGU admissions doesn't completely rule you out if you got a few low grades, but be prepared to explain them in the interview process. I did have a lot of hours in a SA clinic and some hours in research.

You can apply for the pre-vet program and then go into the vet program, but if you already have the pre-req's done, I would say just apply for the Veterinary program. SGU does not have a 5 year program, per se, but they do have an "alternate" route. And you can either decelerate into becoming an alternate, or the admissions just decides to accept the student as an alternate. Being on this track, you take half the classes that you normally would for 1st term and then you take the rest of the classes the next term. So basically, your 1st term is spread out over a year. And after that, you advance on with a full time load.

Also something to take into consideration is that the winter class is usually less competitive then the fall class. This is due to a smaller applicant pool and also results in a smaller class size.

CSU is right though, they do look at the applicant holistically. So if you are weak in one spot, make sure to show your strengths in other areas.

As for Ross, I didn't apply there. Sorry I can't be more help! But I believe for both schools, you could call them up and ask for the averages of previous classes.

Good luck! :)

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2010
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I was recently accepted to St. George's and to be honest my chem grades were much lower than others applying, but I have over 5,000 hours of hands on experience and that's why I got in. Experience counts for a lot for them.

10+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2007
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I was recently accepted to St. George's and to be honest my chem grades were much lower than others applying, but I have over 5,000 hours of hands on experience and that's why I got in. Experience counts for a lot for them.
My chem marks are in the 60s, and my physics mark is a 68 due to illness and working part-time. My other pre-reqs are in the 79-89 range. I don't have thousands of hours of experience due to clinics not wanting anything to do with me. I'm in the process of getting my drivers license. Once I get it, I'll have the opportunity to look further away for experience. I only have about 300 between 2 clinics, and 100 between 2 shelters. I have a research job this semester (100 hours), and I'll probably do my honours next year. Looking at the app, 250 of those clinic hours won't count because by the time I apply, it will be over 4 years old. So I'm kinda feeling like St George's won't even want me :p

Last edited:

smilin1590

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2009
Status
Pre-Veterinary
This is good to know because I have plenty of animal experience and I'm getting up there with my vet experience as well :) If you don't mind me asking what was your acceptance GPA? Don't feel like you have to answer that either. I'm just trying to get an idea of what kind of applicants they might look for and if I could be a good applicant.

Jan 5, 2010
Status
Pre-Veterinary
scarecelyheard,

Won't hurt to try, right? I say give it a shot, and if it doesnt work out the first time, they will tell you what you need to work on. OR, you can wait a couple semesters or year and improve your chem grades, pre-requisite courses. Volunteering at a local humane society or finding somewhere to do research will help. Dont give up!

smilin1590

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2009
Status
Pre-Veterinary
So I figured this wasn't worth making a whole thread over so I revived this one :D So here's my question, for St. George, Ross, and St. Matthews is it required that one LOR be from a prof. or relevant academic figure?

jpeterman13

ISU CVM c/o 2014!!
Jun 20, 2009
Ames, IA
Status
Veterinary Student
So I figured this wasn't worth making a whole thread over so I revived this one :D So here's my question, for St. George, Ross, and St. Matthews is it required that one LOR be from a prof. or relevant academic figure?
my "academic" LOR (for Ross) was from my undergraduate research mentor, that was sufficient. Don't know if that answers your question. I imagine that one from a professor would be sufficent.

Jan 15, 2010
Status
Pre-Veterinary
This is good to know because I have plenty of animal experience and I'm getting up there with my vet experience as well :) If you don't mind me asking what was your acceptance GPA? Don't feel like you have to answer that either. I'm just trying to get an idea of what kind of applicants they might look for and if I could be a good applicant.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. It was a 3.0