OMFS and Neurosurgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

math14320

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know if I can complete my OMFS residency and then do another residency on neurosurgery?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, but you would have to do a residency in plastic surgery as a prerequisite.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Hi, does anyone know if I can complete my OMFS residency and then do another residency on neurosurgery?
Not sure if you’re serious, but I’ll humor you. I guess theoretically it would be possible if you did a 6 year omfs program (Where you complete Med school), had competitive stats while in med school and got accepted to a neuro program (another 6 years) after your OMFS residency . Although you would certainly lose a lot of your OMFS skill over 6 years of neuro training. Just to put it in perspective, you would be doing 4 years dental + 6 years OMFS + 6 years neuro = 16 years of training. All to probably only practice a limited scope of both specialties? No thanks

Not sure what aspect of neuro appeals to you, but you could look into doing a fellowship in craniofacial surgery after OS residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if you’re serious, but I’ll humor you. I guess theoretically it would be possible if you did a 6 year omfs program (Where you complete Med school), had competitive stats while in med school and got accepted to a neuro program (another 6 years) after your OMFS residency . Although you would certainly lose a lot of your OMFS skill over 6 years of neuro training. Just to put it in perspective, you would be doing 4 years dental + 6 years OMFS + 6 years neuro = 16 years of training. All to probably only practice a limited scope of both specialties? No thanks

Not sure what aspect of neuro appeals to you, but you could look into doing a fellowship in craniofacial surgery after OS residency.
If he/she wants to perform surgery on the brain or spine, then OMFS or even craniofacial surgery won’t appeal to him/her.

Solid first post

Future neurosurgeon in the making

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 6 users
Why not also get a PhD while at it as well?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Hi Math14320,

This is the internet, so take everyone's comments for what they are.

I am assuming you are serious, and I am assuming your are not yet in dental school, but have a knowledge about oral and maxillofacial surgery based on either someone you know or something you have read, perhaps here at SDN.

As an oral and maxillofacial surgeon, the only time that I interact with neurosurgeons are:
1. If I want to harvest a cranial bone graft, and then I will only do it if they are down the hall operating at the same time.
2. In cranio-maxillofacial trauma cases, where we only interact for a small amount of time.
3. When they bring their kids in to get their wisdom teeth removed.

I would say you need to decide either to go to medical school or to dental school at the outset.

Having said that, I wanted to be a cardiac surgeon when I started college. My dad (an OMS) had me work for him during the summers, and I worked at the hospital across the street, so I was able to see everything (cardiac, neuro, ortho, general, etc.).

I found what he did (OMS) was much more interesting, had more variety, and he wasn't down at the hospital at 10:00 p.m. dealing with complications. And the patients did not die after surgery.

So I changed to pre-dental my junior year of college. I have never looked back.

PM me if you want some nonjudgmental feedback.

BTW, did you know that 4 our of 3 people have a hard time with math?

Reactions: 4 users
I know several MDs who finished residency and then decided they'd rather do Omfs and went back and did dental school and did OMFS, even a couple attendings who did Med school > Plastics > OMFS. Never the other way around, our specialty is the envy of others for good reason, nobody leaves OMFS for the high stress world of Neurosurgery, and you would probably never get in because it's an elitist club

I know several MDs who finished residency and then decided they'd rather do Omfs and went back and did dental school and did OMFS, even a couple attendings who did Med school > Plastics > OMFS. Never the other way around, our specialty is the envy of others for good reason, nobody leaves OMFS for the high stress world of Neurosurgery, and you would probably never get in because it's an elitist club
They must have been at least 40 before finishing up medical school, residency, then dental school and OMFS training....

Yes, you better get your pharma diploma while your at it.

Someone just finished up the Lenox Hill Netflix documentary..

Reactions: 5 users
OP wants to do the whole trauma case from start to finish, starting with brain surgery and then reconstructing the facial structures?

It’d be BADASS >20 hour surgeries.

Unrealistic and impractical, but possible.
and unnecessary...

OP wants to do the whole trauma case from start to finish, starting with brain surgery and then reconstructing the facial structures?

It’d be BADASS >20 hour surgeries.

Unrealistic and impractical, but possible.
Throw in a quick prophy, fluoride varnish and maybe fill in those class 2's while you're at it?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users