OMG im so sick of these people

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Exactly! So we think they're d-bags... but they're getting laid. Who's the real sucker?

haha I will say that they are only d-bags if they are not getting laid, how is that?

So does that actually work out there at VCU? If so I might give it a shot out here in on the undergrad girls on the Virginia tech campus haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
I usually assume someone's a nurse when I see scrubs. lol

when you have to explain things, they lose their punch

Nice tie Halberstram

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting thread.

The worst that I've seen is a med student at an outdoor shopping mall (granted, near the med center, but still) in scrubs, white coat, student ID visible, stethoscope around neck, and surgical mask (dropped off her face but tied behind her neck).

Interesting thread.

The worst that I've seen is a med student at an outdoor shopping mall (granted, near the med center, but still) in scrubs, white coat, student ID visible, stethoscope around neck, and surgical mask (dropped off her face but tied behind her neck).
I haven't actually seen one but my imagination is enough. :D

interesting thread.

The worst that i've seen is a med student at an outdoor shopping mall (granted, near the med center, but still) in scrubs, white coat, student id visible, stethoscope around neck, and surgical mask (dropped off her face but tied behind her neck).
' '

Interesting thread.

Good lord.

Interesting thread.

u shudda asked her how nursing school is.

I think a lot of the overly enthusiastic pre-meds and med students are just really self-centered and don't understand that people really don't give two ****s that they're about to be in or are in med school. They've been coddled their whole lives into thinking they're the bee's knees. These are the people who probably get crushed the earliest during third year because they've probably never had a goddamn job.

I think a lot of the overly enthusiastic pre-meds and med students are just really self-centered and don't understand that people really don't give two ****s that they're about to be in or are in med school. They've been coddled their whole lives into thinking they're the bee's knees. These are the people who probably get crushed the earliest during third year because they've probably never had a goddamn job.

Either that or they are the nerds that always felt they needed to make themselves feel better by knocking other people who are not in medicine or a higher paying field.

Just to explain what I meant about this. You'd have to read the preallo thread that got locked about being made fun of. I see that a lot of formerly made fun of kids tend to be overly insecure and often think they are the $hit just because they are making a lot of money or in a higher educated field. Meanwhile, they somehow think that just because the popular kids are saying hi and in other jobs that they are automatically inferior. This attitude passes on to medical school right because of what Yakko stated, they are INSECURE and for the most part a lot of these kind of people have been insecure for a lot longer then they've been in medical school

Last edited:
they are INSECURE and for the most part a lot of these kind of people have been insecure for a lot longer then they've been in medical school

Well said.

OK, who let the pre-meds in on this?

I think people ought to be proud of their accomplishment, but no point in flaunting it. Getting into medical school is challenging, but not THAT challenging.

Nice. The only way you're beating that is if you get wheeled into the mall astride a patient on a gurney, performing chest compressions while ordering an Orange Julius.

Nice. The only way you're beating that is if you get wheeled into the mall astride a patient on a gurney, performing chest compressions while ordering an Orange Julius.

I can only imagine.

This kind of behavior is not limited to med students - at orientation last year, an anesthesiologist give us a talk in scrubs, long scrubs coat, surgical cap, and mask down off his face tied behind his neck. Granted he had just been involved in the delivery of conjoined twins, but still, at least take off the cap and rip the mask off before lecturing before >100 students in the auditorium.

I can only imagine.

This kind of behavior is not limited to med students - at orientation last year, an anesthesiologist give us a talk in scrubs, long scrubs coat, surgical cap, and mask down off his face tied behind his neck. Granted he had just been involved in the delivery of conjoined twins, but still, at least take off the cap and rip the mask off before lecturing before >100 students in the auditorium.

Wtf would it matter? Why would he be trying to show off to you that he is a doctor - you all knew full well he was a doctor. Why would anyone give two ****s about impressing medstudents anyway? We are pretty much scum of the earth in the eyes of everyone above us. When I was on gen surgery no one on my team (including my attending) ever took their surgical cap off. Why bother taking a cap off everytime you run up to the floor?

Jesus Tapdancing Christ you guys are a bunch of judgemental douchebags. I think most of you fashion police are worse than the douchebag wearing his stethoscope at the mall.

Wtf would it matter? Why would he be trying to show off to you that he is a doctor - you all knew full well he was a doctor. Why would anyone give two ****s about impressing medstudents anyway? We are pretty much scum of the earth in the eyes of everyone above us. When I was on gen surgery no one on my team (including my attending) ever took their surgical cap off. Why bother taking a cap off everytime you run up to the floor?

Jesus Tapdancing Christ you guys are a bunch of judgemental douchebags. I think most of you fashion police are worse than the douchebag wearing his stethoscope at the mall.

Why on earth are we considered the scum of the Earth, and why do people just accept it without saying, "that's not right!"

With all this talk we are constantly hearing of maintaing certain standards of professionalism, it is only reasonable to expect professionalism in return. Professionalism is a two-way street.

Treating subordinates with gross disrespect in any other profession is not tolerated by those same subordinates, and it should not be tolerated in this profession either.

I do that, actually.

Honestly, after so many hours in the OR, you tend to forget that you're even wearing that stuff. Well, the surgical bouffant cap I tend to rip off right away, because I hate that thing, but a lot of guys sometimes don't even realize that they still have their surgical caps on.

My chief resident kept his on all day once. At the end of the day, when we were going over the patients, he reached up to scratch his head. He looked really confused, and said, "What the fu....wow, I totally forgot to take this off. I wondered why my forehead was a little itchy."

And another time, I forgot to rip my mask off. I didn't realize it was still on until I went to the bathroom and saw myself in the mirror.

You guys are all douchebags for complaining about douchebags.

This thread will never go away. (that's a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it). :D

I could really care less. Probably just ran from the OR. But still, at least rip off the surgical mask.

was gonna close the thread but changed my mind. its funny reading how much ppl freak out over nothing and how extreme other people are. continue.

:thumbup:

You sum it up quite nicely.

Scrubs are so yesterday anyway. All the cool med students wear bunny suits when they hit the clubs.

I avoid wearing scrubs outside the hospital, not because I'm self-conscious but because a large proportion of the general population turn all germaphobe when they see someone walking around in scrubs. Maybe this isn't such a big deal in more rural areas, but in the city/subway you get some pretty nasty looks.

Scrubs are so yesterday anyway. All the cool med students wear bunny suits when they hit the clubs.

I avoid wearing scrubs outside the hospital, not because I'm self-conscious but because a large proportion of the general population turn all germaphobe when they see someone walking around in scrubs. Maybe this isn't such a big deal in more rural areas, but in the city/subway you get some pretty nasty looks.

Is that really surprising? If you see someone walking around in a gas station uniform, you expect there to be some motor oil on it. If you see someone in a McDonald's uniform, you expect there to be fry grease on it. With scrubs, you expect feces, blood, vomit, fascia.

Is that really surprising? If you see someone walking around in a gas station uniform, you expect there to be some motor oil on it. If you see someone in a McDonald's uniform, you expect there to be fry grease on it. With scrubs, you expect feces, blood, vomit, fascia.
haha yeah I'm sure the general public is worried about getting some fascia on their purse. They just think there's poo on them.

:laugh:

Actually, you know something that I'm sick of... the converse of most of this thread.
It drives me up a wall to see a med student (especially one thats on admit team or somethng and actually looking busy) actually NOT wear their silly short white coat. Watching them race around the hospital and ER with whatever they want to wear... sometimes even Dr 90210 cutoff scrubs... with a stethoscope slung over their neck.... thinking they are an attending who just stopped by to round on their consults..... that chaps my loins.

I lived in Montana before going to school so when I flew back home and went to my old workplace (used to work as a CNA) during our short Thanksgiving vacation, I wore the suit I bought for my interviews and had my student name tag visible :) but my mother works there as a Nurse, I feel like a douchebag now lol only because I brought my lab coat to show my family

I lived in Montana before going to school so when I flew back home and went to my old workplace (used to work as a CNA) during our short Thanksgiving vacation, I wore the suit I bought for my interviews and had my student name tag visible :) but my mother works there as a Nurse, I feel like a douchebag now lol only because I brought my lab coat to show my family
if u wore ur coat to the workplace for no reason than its pretty bad, but if you wore it for ur family its not a big deal. My parents (mom mainly) wants me to bring my white coat and medical equipement (steth, otoscope, etc.) home with me over winter break so she can take pictures lol. nothing wrong with doing it for the fam, its when you take it outside the house that it becomes a no no.

:laugh:

The only person who I've seen thus far in 1.5 years of med school of blantant "I'm trying to look like a doctor"-ism was at a family medicine interest group meeting that was held in a family doc's house were Mexican food & margarita were provided. A fam med intern showed up in full scrubs, white coat, and steth thrown over his neck :rolleyes:. In general, I am all for assuming people have good intentions or do this unintentionally, but this guy had the complete "I'm trying to show off I'm a doc" vibe. He might have even had booties on, too, but I can't recall. Seriously, house full of docs and buzzed med students. No one cares.

My chief resident kept his on all day once. At the end of the day, when we were going over the patients, he reached up to scratch his head. He looked really confused, and said, "What the fu....wow, I totally forgot to take this off. I wondered why my forehead was a little itchy."

And another time, I forgot to rip my mask off. I didn't realize it was still on until I went to the bathroom and saw myself in the mirror.
:laugh: That's funny.

was gonna close the thread but changed my mind. its funny reading how much ppl freak out over nothing and how extreme other people are. continue.

Thank you. :)

I don't know how long this show has been on the air, but I caught it last week while flipping channels and it reminded me of this thread (edit: I guess it's been on since Sept. 8th.):

gfx.php

I know it's T.V. and they have to play it up. But they sit around a table in front of a studio audience wearing white coats and scrubs.

The white coats are borderline funny. But looking at the guy in the scrubs always makes me chuckle. Where's the emergency?

Can't they just wear suits or something?

I hope that this is a troll.

I know it's T.V. and they have to play it up. But they sit around a table in front of a studio audience wearing white coats and scrubs.

The white coats are borderline funny. But looking at the guy in the scrubs always makes me chuckle. Where's the emergency?

Can't they just wear suits or something?

This shows irritates the heck out of me. I found it when I was sick and watching TV all day and was so annoyed. I don't why it pisses me off so bad, other than I want to hit all of them for their condescending, arrogant attitudes. I think it is the only time I've seen someone wearing scrubs that I've been irritated about b/c there is zero reason other than for looks. Ugh. Maybe the producers forced them to do it.

Kuddos to them for finding a way to get rich with their MD though.