OMT and Chiropractics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hate to bring this subject up, but what exactly do chiropractors
manipulate? I also heard that DCs use x-rays to determine which part of the spine to manipulate. Medical authorities say that post-manipulation x-rays look just like pre-manipulation radiographs. I am not attacking chiropractic, I'm just trying to verify what I hear, so people, please take a chill pill before reading this. And one more question, if nobody minds, what are the pre-chiropractic school requirements? If possible, somebody give me a weblink or a book to read. I guess you can say that I'm writing this because chiropractic is not exactly welcome in my area. Once again, I'm not anti-chiropractic, I just need more information.

Thank you for any or all that may answer this.

Angelic02
Pre-Allopathic Medicine Student

Members don't see this ad.

Hey angelic,
Some DCs use xrays to adjust, some don't. I have heard that subluxations can't be seen on xray either. Most of them rely on palpation to determine if there is a subluxation, which is what we adjust. And all use xrays to rule out pathology Many allopaths don't believe that subluxations exist, which is how DCs got a hokey stigma. (Among other things, most notably with outlandish claims that they can cure cancer....blah blah blah) The reason that allopaths don't believe that subluxations exist, is that many times, they aren't visible on a radiograph. A subluxation, is essentially, less than a dislocation. It has adverse affects on the operation of the human body, and that is what DCs correct. There is research out there stating the effectiveness of adjusting, but it is not numerous, and not well collaborated. But we are getting there. Most of chiropractics evidence is anecdoctal, based on case study and experience. The prereqs to get in are varied by school. Some schools are a bit out there in their philosophies of chiropractic. Most schools require at least 90 undergrad prereq hours with the basic sciences (biology, ochem, gchem, physics, etc...) plus humanities, communication and elective courses. Many schools are also requiring a Bachelor's to get in, although it's not necessary yet. A lot of states are requiring a Bachelor's as well to practice. As my chiropractor told me, "It's not necessarily hard to get into school, it's hard to get out" meaning that once you've completed the intense coursework, the boards and state liscensing tests are the toughies. It's definitely a fascinating practice, even though we probably will never be fully accepted by the allopathic medical world. I hope you keep your mind open regarding chiropractic, there is so much negativity out there towards DCs (some deserved, some hyped) and a good chiropractor is an invaluble source if you need someone to look at the same problem with a different perspective.