Oncologist Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cancerous

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys. I'm new to the forum. I've been searching online recently for opportunities to shadow an oncologist, and I was wondering if you guys knew my chances of working with one this summer, or if you could possibly redirect me to one that's available, or if you are one yourself and interested (I've been on this forum for too short to know if genuine non-student doctors are on the site).

I'm a rising sophomore at my university and I've been working with a relatively prominent cancer researcher on assessing the levels of RNA and protein knockdown brought about by his gene silencing technology (specifically for the oncogenes BCL2 and cMYC) since October 2015. I would only be able to shadow on the weekends, as I'm working full-time in the lab. I also have a 3.955 GPA, and have completed 77 credits, 8 of those medicine-related. I'm not sure how much of this information is relevant - if you need more information, let me know and I can provide more details.

Thanks so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

You didn't write where you're located, but it's unlikely that anyone on here is going to help you find someone to shadow.

I would just call local oncologists in your area and ask if you can shadow. I did that as a pre-med and had pretty good luck. Don't be discouraged if several tell you no, if you call enough of them you'll probably find someone who'll let you shadow them.

Thanks for the response! Sounds reasonable, I had just found it really ideal to put my stats on a platform like this... really hoping it'll help the endeavor to find someone. In any case, I'm in northern New Jersey.

Members don't see this ad :)
How does shadowing an oncologist work? Isnt it awkward telling people that they have cancer for the first time if theres a random student in the room?

How does shadowing an oncologist work? Isnt it awkward telling people that they have cancer for the first time if theres a random student in the room?
Not if you're used to doing it.

Also, it's rare that my first visit with a patient is the first time they're hearing that they have cancer.