Oncology research as an MS1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPSmyth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am an incoming M1 who is undecided about which specialty I want to pursue (as we all are.) I have done extensive shadowing an a lot of fields, and from my experiences I have decided that I am leaning toward medicine related fields rather than surgical specialties. Fields like heme/onc, rad onc, anesth, derm, and a handful of others are some examples of what I have found to be the most interesting. I am aware that research makes applicants competitive for residencies, and I want to put myself in the best possible position for when I am an M4. I am aiming to get involved in research early during M1 year.

I am planning on getting involved in oncology clinical research, as I am familiar with this from my time as an undergrad, and it interests me. I know that clinical trials can take many years to collect data and publish results.

Do any medical students on here have experience working in oncology clinical trials? Has your work yielded any publications, or presentations? I don't want to sound like a gunner but I want to invest my time in something that will yield tangible results.

Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Agree with Links above. If you're interested specifically in Oncology research, bench research may get you published quicker if you are able to get involved in an oncology research lab (that was the route I took).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Clinical trials take a long time. Most med students work on retrospective studies which are much easier to get your name on.
Agree with Links above. If you're interested specifically in Oncology research, bench research may get you published quicker if you are able to get involved in an oncology research lab (that was the route I took).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks a lot guys. Do most attending oncologists at an academic hospital (who are the PIs of clinical trials) also run retrospective studies or an actual lab? I'm not too familiar with how common that is? I guess the only way will be to reach out and ask

Thanks a lot guys. Do most attending oncologists at an academic hospital (who are the PIs of clinical trials) also run retrospective studies or an actual lab? I'm not too familiar with how common that is? I guess the only way will be to reach out and ask
Yes, retrospective studies are ubiquitous.