1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

MD & DO Online medical school (Didactics only)

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Dagrimsta1, Mar 9, 2019.

1. de Ribas

de Ribas Nobel Prize Recipient
    Gold Donor Verified Account 2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    We could make even a better case for undergrad institutions. Some undergrad schools have higher tuition and COA then most state med schools. My HS buddy went to undergrad with COA of ~60k/yr.

I agree that pre-clinical years do not cost ~40k just for lectures alone, but there are other resources students use during those 2 years. Plus, that 40k pays for library place and resources, people taking care of the facilities, administration, utilities, wellness center (if you have one), labs, clinical exposure or SIM, SIM patients, exam software and support, IT support, etc. There is a lot more we can list that is paid by our tuition.

Unless we get rid of physical med school completely for the first 2 years, I dont see how we can really unjustify tuition for the first 2 years. Even if you study on your own somehow through other resources and do board prep on your own, you would have to pay for all the tests and support that comes with it. And then go straight into clinical years. But again, you need the school and its support for rotation spots.

2. nimbus

nimbus Member
    10+ Year Member

Gotta start early and practice, practice, practice. How else would doctors become the world class complainers that we are?

3. Med Ed

Physician Faculty 2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I suggest you become a dean someday. One of the perks is getting to choose the hill you die on.

ooh a bean and Goro like this.
  4. libertyyne

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What a wild time it would be to see an apprenticeship model for medical school. For the first preclinical years there could be alternative ways of obtaining tuition dollars from students, like fee's for administrative costs related to tracking USMLE progresss, to access the library, to obtain basic materials, to get access to skill labs and SPs.

Arent there already 3 year MD programs, so it must be sustainable or close to it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Dagrimsta1, de Ribas and JKGarv like this.
  5. SouthernGent

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The number of times I have heard this uttered by someone relative to students who argue every point...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...