MD Only applying to 6 schools...bad idea? School list help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrCheers

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.7 cGPA; ~3.5 sGPA
-Graduated with Honors
-Hispanic, Spanish speaking, immigrant but not URM
-Strong extracurriculars (3 years of paid clinical experience, lots of research but no publications, non-clinical volunteering, minimal shadowing, significant scholarships)
-No MCAT yet - will be taking in end of June
-I prefer to stay in my state (Illinois) or very nearby and will not be applying out state except for one in Wisconsin
Do you think I'll get in somewhere? I plan on applying to the following schools:
-Loyola, Rush, University of Illinois at Chicago, Rosalind Franklin, University of Chicago (reach), Medical College of Wisconsin

Members don't see this ad.

Deciding that you're only applying to 6 schools without an MCAT yet is incredibly foolish, regardless of what your GPA is.

Reactions: 1 users
Haven't outright decided this just yet but seriously considering it for personal reasons, and wanted to take opinions on this matter, or hear what others' experiences have been like in similar situations, if any. and this is assuming that I get a competitive enough MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes it’s a very very very bad idea

What Personal reason?

Reactions: 1 user
We can’t really advise you without your MCAT score. But only applying to six schools, even with a great MCAT score isn’t a good idea. Your GPAs are average or a bit below. Your ECs are rather generic or at least what you’ve shared is. Rush has a huge service committment(requirement) for applicants. I’m not sure you meet that bar. I’d drop UofC too. There is a new med schooli in Urbana you should look into and of course Midwestern in Downers Grove is a good DO school.

Making any kind of school list, especially one with only 6 schools, without an MCAT is just nonsensical, especially with your below-average sGPA. Applying to only 6 schools in general is a bad idea anyway.

Nothing about your plan is good.

edit: also looks like your sGPA fell from 3.68 to 3.5 in one year. You have a W in orgo 2.

Last edited:
Do you want to be a doctor or do you want to live in your state?

You'll be taking a risk applying to so few schools, but it's your risk to take. Anecdotally, a friend of mine applied to only our six state schools, interviewed at two and was ultimately only accepted to one, so it has been done. But this is your life and career you're gambling with here, regardless of your future MCAT score, you want to maximize your chances at success and should consider at least doubling the amount of schools you wish to apply to.