Only two interviews left!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OldManDave

Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank God!! For me, interview season is finally winding down! It has been grueling...11 anesthesiology interviews, 5 IM prelims & 1 surg prelim when I am all done. I still have 2 anesthesiology, 1 IM & 1 surg prelim to go. But, the end is in sight...a light at the end of the tunnel and it is not a train.

Add to this that it is only 155 days to graduation! More importantly, less than 7 weeks until my first child is due -- my daughter. So much of life & career is coming together in a short span of time, it is almost overwhelming!

Like the rest of you, I am formulating & strategizing for my ROLIC. I plan to have my submitted & finalized prior to my daughter being born. I am already pretty confident of the first few slots...however, one of my last two interviews has the potential of confusing the issue.

My final anesth interviews are at Univ of Rochester & Univ of FL. I did an elective in anesth at URMC; so I know already know that it is a superb program. I have heard & read lots of wonderful stuff about UFL's program as well, although I am far less than excited about living in FL. I am not too fond of being hot all of the time. But, if the program is as strong as it alleges, I may just have to learn to tolerate a little wormth!

I wish all of you folks the best of luck & success as interview season winds down. I hope that we all land slots in one of our top choices. Please feel free to follow this posting with spurious thoughts of your own as things begin to end for this application cycle. It would be interesting to hear your thoughts...

Members don't see this ad.

All I can say is that I envy you! I've done around 10 interviews (including prelim) and am only halfway done, yet I fell exhausted. This is a lot more painful then I realized. Asking the same questions over and over again, flying/driving around, touring facilities that all look the same, etc. etc.

Congratulations on the upcoming baby!

I wish I had a dollar for every time I was asked, "Do you have any more questions for me?" I am tired of re-using questions over & over again.

I would love it if interviewers would get together and compare their questioning strategies -- and try to cut down on the repetition!!! My last prelim I had four interviews. The last three of them asked the same exact questions even in the same damned order. These weren't questions to ask to subsequently cross compare to assure that I was consistently telling the same story. They were the same old, unimaginative questions!!!

Oh well...the end is very near!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
OldMan,

Hailing from Florida here. Gainesville really isn't that bad; June and July are humid and hot around midday, but gets pretty nice at night. Other 3 seasons, the weather is beautiful. Had to scrape frost off my car for the first time this year this morning, sad but true.

Speaking as a mere med student...the anesthesiology faculty here have bent over backwards to help us in any way they can. On the nights I've shadowed call, the caseload has been quite impressive in complexity. Anesthesia runs the Surgical Critical Care Unit, which I understand to be something of a rarity here in the States. The simulator is awesome, as are the physicians running it.

Very low cost of living here in Gainesville, and many many days of sunshine throughout the year with which to enjoy the environs. Gotta admit, wasn't crazy about the city when I first arrived, but it really does grow on you!

OldManDave,

It sounds like you had some experience at Rochester. How's the program and the residents? I'm curious about the city of Rochester too. I've read a good review of it at scutwork.com.
Any info would be appreciated.

DOMD

:clap:
Congrats on your daughter's soon birthday!

As a third year I would love to be done with interviews and all the stress I have ahead. i have read several of the posts and you have given great advice to me and others. Fills us all in on how everything turns out with your daughter and the match! Take care!

Nichole Taylor MS 3
AZCOM