OOS friendly schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smiles2594

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I applied this cycle to Tennessee and was put on the waitlist. In preparation for this upcoming cycle I am trying to put together a list of schools to apply to.

My Stats:
TN Resident
D1 Cross-country and Track athlete
75 shadowing hours (currently acquiring more)
100 volunteer hours
oGPA, sGPA: 3.6, 3.3 (expected to rise after this semester)
DAT AA 18, PAT 20, RC 22 (I will be retaking the DAT in July)

Currently I have these schools on my list:
UTHSC
Louisville
MUSC
LECOM
UK
GRU
IU
UNE
Tufts

Recommendations on what schools to consider or not? THANKS SDN

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
out of state friendly:
NYU, Boston, Detroit Mercy, Tufts, Pittsburgh, Columbia, Midwestern AZ, Midwestern IL, WesternU, Temple, Michigan, Case Western, UPenn, Nova, LECOM

Reactions: 1 user
out of state friendly:
NYU, Boston, Detroit Mercy, Tufts, Pittsburgh, Columbia, Midwestern AZ, Midwestern IL, WesternU, Temple, Michigan, Case Western, UPenn, Nova, LECOM

According to the ADEA official guide, only 5% and 4% of those interviewed were OOS for BU and Nova, respectively. Could you explain how they're OOS-friendly?

According to the ADEA official guide, only 5% and 4% of those interviewed were OOS for BU and Nova, respectively. Could you explain how they're OOS-friendly?

Because they're private schools and don't discriminate between in-state and out-of-state applicants.

Because they're private schools and don't discriminate between in-state and out-of-state applicants.

Hmm, gotcha. Then according to what you said, is UoP OOS-friendly as well...?

Hmm, gotcha. Then according to what you said, is UoP OOS-friendly as well...?

Yes. They like their own undergrad which happens to be in CA, but they do not favor people just for being CA residents.

So..... @plusalpha is stating numbers from the offical ADEA guide which was given to ADEA directly from the dental schools, but others on this forum can't give legit sources to everything that's coming out of their mouth like diarrhea. This must be a joke!

Last edited:
So..... @plusalpha is stating numbers from the offical ADEA guide which was given to ADEA directly from the dental schools, but others on this forum can't give legit sources to everything that's coming out of their mouth like diarrhea. This must be a joke!
From Boston University's Website:
"Q: How many out-of-state applicants do you accept?
A: Boston University is a private institution and we do not need to meet a quota of in-state versus out-of-state applicants. We will review all applications and invite for interview based on merit."

Public universities discriminate based on your residency because they are, in part, publicly funded through taxpayer money and they have no choice. Private schools are not funded this way and therefore do not have to fill an in-state quota.

Reactions: 1 user
Op, apply to as many schools you want. You'll probably get lucky, and the admission committee will draw your name from the hat for an interview.

Since you are retaking the DAT just try really hard to improve your scores.

pheonix wright.gif

Quoting official numbers from my copy of the 2015 ADEA guide:
NOVA Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine:
Instate number of applicants: 1586 Estimated number instate interviewed: 412 Estimated number instate enrolled: 67
OOS number of applicants: 1315 Estimated number OOS interviewed: 334 Estimated number out of state enrolled: 53
estimated international enrolled:7 -other international statistics N/A
~25.4% of all OOS applicants were interviewed ~44.8% of all interviewed applicants were OOS ~44.2% of all enrolled were OOS

Boston University:
Instate number of applicants: 155 Estimated number instate interviewed: 57 Estimated number instate enrolled: 29
OOS number of applicants: 3453 Estimated number OOS interviewed: 160 Estimated number out of state enrolled: 59
International number of applicants: 507 Estimated number international interviewed: 28 estimated number international enrolled:13
~4.6% of all OOS applicants were interviewed ~65.3% of all interviewed applicants were OOS ~58.4% of all enrolled were OOS

Conclusion: NOVA is very out of state friendly. BU only looks OOS unfriendly due to the sheer volume of OOS applications.

This is the internet. Everything is diarrhea unless you verify it for yourself. I could be lying to you for all you know.

My advice to the OP: Buy the ADEA guide. It's like $15 or some small fee.

Reactions: 2 users
L0L

View attachment 201797

Quoting official numbers from my copy of the 2015 ADEA guide:
NOVA Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine:
Instate number of applicants: 1586 Estimated number instate interviewed: 412 Estimated number instate enrolled: 67
OOS number of applicants: 1315 Estimated number OOS interviewed: 334 Estimated number out of state enrolled: 53
estimated international enrolled:7 -other international statistics N/A
~25.4% of all OOS applicants were interviewed ~44.8% of all interviewed applicants were OOS ~44.2% of all enrolled were OOS

Boston University:
Instate number of applicants: 155 Estimated number instate interviewed: 57 Estimated number instate enrolled: 29
OOS number of applicants: 3453 Estimated number OOS interviewed: 160 Estimated number out of state enrolled: 59
International number of applicants: 507 Estimated number international interviewed: 28 estimated number international enrolled:13
~4.6% of all OOS applicants were interviewed ~65.3% of all interviewed applicants were OOS ~58.4% of all enrolled were OOS

Conclusion: NOVA is very out of state friendly. BU only looks OOS unfriendly due to the sheer volume of OOS applications.

This is the internet. Everything is diarrhea unless you verify it for yourself. I could be lying to you for all you know.

My advice to the OP: Buy the ADEA guide. It's like $15 or some small fee.