Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

opinion of medical students please...

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by daveynyc, Jan 4, 2002.

1. daveynyc

daveynyc New Member

Hello,

I am strongly considering taking the MCAT and applying to medical school.

I am slightly apprehensive based on the following.

I've completed General Chem 1 & 2, General Bio 1 & 2, Organic Chem 1 & 2, Biochemistry and General Physics 1 & 2.

Although I received "A"s in all of the courses, I found the labs to be very, very, very difficult. I aced all of the class exams, the finals, and understood all of the classroom concepts with no problem at all (I recieved nearly perfect scores on every class exam).

I think I might be lab-challenged. Seriously though, would I have a serious problem suceeding in Medical School because of my lack of prowess in lab?

Your opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks...

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. freshity

freshity Senior Member

do you want to be a doctor? i think that's the only thing you should worry abt. you're bound to run into a class or two, or more, in med school that you could do without. are you afraid of NOT doing well given your performance in the other classes? fear of failure should be a concern if you think it's something you can't learn from and grow beyond.

i guess i don't understand your dilemma. if you want to be a doctor, go for it. lack of lab prowess in and of itself won't be a problem.

4. Fanconi

Fanconi Senior Member

You wouldn't happen to be a Slayer fan, would you?

Doesn't matter. That wouldn't help or hurt. :)

Here's my deal with med school (I'm a third year). Very little of the material has been conceptually difficult. Most of the stuff is pretty easy to understand. It's more the VOLUME of material that can be overwhelming. If you wanna be a doctor, be a doctor. Any perceived lab difficulties you have will not be a problem for you.

5. guardian

guardian Senior Member

6. Voxel

Moderator Emeritus

As a 4th year medical student, having gone through most of medical school at this point, I have 2 words for you, "Fo-get AboudIT". Seriously, physics or chem lab and med school labs are completely different and med school labs are much easier in some respects and more difficult in other respects. Anatomy lab and physics lab are two completely different animals. Don't worry. Study hard and do right by your patients. You'll be fine.

7. daveynyc

daveynyc New Member

Hi all,

Thanks for your input.

Learning a large amount of data and concepts are the easy part.

I actually have no problem with interacting with patients (I volunteer as an EMT-D).

As far as labs go, Anatomy & Physiology as an undergraduate were pretty simple. It was the Gen Chem, the Org Chem & the Physics that kicked my butt.

:)

Thanks again.

D...