Opinions about Rosalind Franklin Residency Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoneUSMLE

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently interviewed at this program and seemed to like it but the PGY3 that showed us around seemed extremely jaded and didn't really have anything nice to say about the program (mentioned that this program wasn't even on his top 5 while ranking and it was his backup!). The other 2 PGY1's we met at lunch mentioned they were only there for the free food. I also read some not-so-great reviews on Scutwork. I would like to know what other applicants who interviewed here felt and if any residents from this program could tell me what it's really like. A big pull for me in this residency is its location and proximity to my family but I want to know that I'm ranking a decent program where I would feel confident to practice after graduating.

Members don't see this ad.

I recently interviewed at this program and seemed to like it but the PGY3 that showed us around seemed extremely jaded and didn't really have anything nice to say about the program (mentioned that this program wasn't even on his top 5 while ranking and it was his backup!). The other 2 PGY1's we met at lunch mentioned they were only there for the free food. I also read some not-so-great reviews on Scutwork. I would like to know what other applicants who interviewed here felt and if any residents from this program could tell me what it's really like. A big pull for me in this residency is its location and proximity to my family but I want to know that I'm ranking a decent program where I would feel confident to practice after graduating.

Yikes.

I know, right? :( It's the only program that's geographically perfect for me. Otherwise, the husband and I have to do long distance for 2 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know, right? :( It's the only program that's geographically perfect for me. Otherwise, the husband and I have to do long distance for 2 years.

I have no personal experience with their program but the reputation of the program is not good from my experience in the Chicagoland area. On the other hand, if it works for you as the "only" program, I might presume that husband is in Milwaukee? Psychiatry programs have good enough hours/weekends that at a minimum if you went to a Chicagoland program you could easily take the train to Milwaukee most weekends (beyond PGY1 year) and it would even be doable on some weekdays if you are not on short call. If it really is the only thing that works from your family, it's certainly not such a bad program that you cannot be a good psychiatrist after completing it. Sacrifice can be the name of the game when you combine medicine + marriage, I for one recommend siding on marriage when deciding between the two.

I have no personal experience with their program but the reputation of the program is not good from my experience in the Chicagoland area. On the other hand, if it works for you as the "only" program, I might presume that husband is in Milwaukee? Psychiatry programs have good enough hours/weekends that at a minimum if you went to a Chicagoland program you could easily take the train to Milwaukee most weekends (beyond PGY1 year) and it would even be doable on some weekdays if you are not on short call. If it really is the only thing that works from your family, it's certainly not such a bad program that you cannot be a good psychiatrist after completing it. Sacrifice can be the name of the game when you combine medicine + marriage, I for one recommend siding on marriage when deciding between the two.

Thanks, Merovinge. My husband actually works in North Chicago so I wouldn't even have to move if I matched at this program. The other closest program is 3hrs away (by car). I really appreciate your input and completely agree that family support is essential during residency. Wish me luck!