Opinions of your school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think it actually depends on if the school have the financial capabilities to hold those programs or not. And in our case we do, our school only exists because of all the financial supports we get, and they are huge. And I think the SMP will help strengthen the quality of students we get, and that's a pro in my book.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Nothing to do with financial means. It has to do with hiccups of beginning a medical school. You will want/need the administration to be solely focused on you so that the problems are dealt with in a reasonable manner/time. They will have other focuses if all those schools open up at the same time. Plus, addon all the hiccups those programs will have. It’s best to open up one program at a time, get it running efficiently, and then open a new one.

SMP programs are money generating avenues for the med school that dont require them to apply for a seat increase. There are plenty of SMP programs in existence whom ARCOM could admit if increasing the strength of their class was the focus. What is the tuition for the SMP? How many seats do they offer per year?

I definitely agree a brand new school with 3 residency programs (one being a surgery residency) is boss and commendable.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Nothing to do with financial means. It has to do with hiccups of beginning a medical school. You will want/need the administration to be solely focused on you so that the problems are dealt with in a reasonable manner/time. They will have other focuses if all those schools open up at the same time. Plus, addon all the hiccups those programs will have. It’s best to open up one program at a time, get it running efficiently, and then open a new one.

SMP programs are money generating avenues for the med school that dont require them to apply for a seat increase. There are plenty of SMP programs in existence whom ARCOM could admit if increasing the strength of their class was the focus. What is the tuition for the SMP? How many seats do they offer per year?

I definitely agree a brand new school with 3 residency programs (one being a surgery residency) is boss and commendable.

Yeah I don't know how anyone can think that a new school rapidly opening up different programs is a good thing. Generally that kind of thing is a money grab.

As to the bolded, I would love it if someone could link me to the website of such program. There is no surgery residency affiliated with ARCOM to date. It is found neither on the ACGME or AOA page.

Yeah I don't know how anyone can think that a new school rapidly opening up different programs is a good thing. Generally that kind of thing is a money grab.

As to the bolded, I would love it if someone could link me to the website of such program. There is no surgery residency affiliated with ARCOM to date. It is found neither on the ACGME or AOA page.
Alright, I just checked, and it seems that the general surgery is not up and running yet. Sorry for the misinformation, but there's a plan to open one in affiliation with Baptist health and UAMS soon.

In terms of the other programs (OT, PT and PA) they plan to start, nothing says they will open all of them at once. It might be a one at a time thing, but I do understand what you guys are saying though. Anyway, the medical school is running smoothly so far, so I guess we'll see what happens.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)

One still has to get permission to open a brand new program from the college's accrediting body. NOT COCA, which is for the med school, but most probably the the Higher Learning Commission.

Reactions: 1 user

So I looked into it’s expansion because I was critical of the pace they were taking... ARCOM is under Arkansas College of Health Education. The administration for the DO program is isolated to the osteopathic program. The admins and professors are not pulling double duty... The DO school is not distracted with the surrounding expansion because ACHE is hiring and setting it up. They have this all laid out in their Strategic Plan and so far they have followed everything to a tie... That includes their research and GME goals. They sold me on the school but who knows maybe I’ll be singing “The Sound of Silence” in a couple years!