Opinions on getting interviews!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jstroud

Reaction score
Hey guys this is my first post on here I just wanted to get some ideas of my chances for getting interviews or whether I should potentially retake the DAT! I took it for the first time yesterday morning and my scores were as follows:
BIO: 20
GC:18
OC:27
RC:21
QR:19
PAT:20
TS:20
AA: 21

I have a 3.55 GPA and I have two semesters to continue to bring it up which I expect to have it around a 3.65 by the time I would apply. I’m a South Carolina resident but will definitely be applying out of state as well! Any input would be really appreciated! Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Your DAT is great...no need to retake. While your GPA isn't the highest, its still pretty good (if you get it to a 3.65 then that's very good) and your stats are definitely enough to land you interviews. Just make sure your extracurriculars are up to par with the rest of your application and write a good personal statement (wouldn't hurt to even start on that soon so by the time you apply you'll be good to go!). Best of luck and let me know if you have any other questions!

Reactions: 1 user
Your DAT is great...no need to retake. While your GPA isn't the highest, its still pretty good (if you get it to a 3.65 then that's very good) and your stats are definitely enough to land you interviews. Just make sure your extracurriculars are up to par with the rest of your application and write a good personal statement (wouldn't hurt to even start on that soon so by the time you apply you'll be good to go!). Best of luck and let me know if you have any other questions!
Thank you! I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with TopDog.
Don't retake the DAT and raise your GPA a tad. How are your extracurriculars/volunteering? Schools tend to like to see quality over quantity so if you haven't started volunteering, get in on that now. Also, if there are dental related events near you, attend them! You can put them on your resume/cv

You have a few non stellar sections on the DAT, but overall not bad (I.e., too many sections below 20, or any section below 17), so not worth retaking. If you were to retake, unless you improve significantly overall, it will not be viewed positively. In addition, I heard schools may also set the bar higher for those who retake vs those who had it once and done.

Your GPA is fine, but improvement can be a plus.

I agree with TopDog.
Don't retake the DAT and raise your GPA a tad. How are your extracurriculars/volunteering? Schools tend to like to see quality over quantity so if you haven't started volunteering, get in on that now. Also, if there are dental related events near you, attend them! You can put them on your resume/cv
I have a decent amount of volunteering hours and shadowing hours and will definitely continue to improve on both of them as I have a weekly volunteering schedule at the hospital and as far as dental related events I have worked as an assistant with a dentist at a free extraction clinic once before and I interned doing lab work for an orthodontist this entire summer so I am really hoping that reflects positively!