Opinions on these LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nirvikalpa

निर्विकल्पा
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am taking my MCAT's on June 21 and I am starting to get my material together to ask for LOR. I am buying a Interfolio account this weekend, and getting a "LOR Package" together for everyone I plan to ask (including a $10 Dunkin' Donuts giftcard [as a thank you], 'fast facts' sheet about me, a copy of my grades, a 'how to write a medical school LOR' sheet, a copy of my CV, etc etc).

So far I have 6 people in my mind I am going to ask. I also want to make note that my undergraduate institution does not have a pre-health committee. What do you guys think about these choices?

1) Professor of Chemistry/Physics at my undergraduate institution. He has a PhD in BioPhysics and is the chair of the science department. I had him from freshman year to senior year (I went to a small undergrad). My grade's range from C's to A's in his classes (Organic Chem I had a C+ and B+, Instrumental Analysis an A), upward trending for the high-level courses, but he was also my research mentor and helped me develop my undergraduate research project, which he was impressed with. He has a lot of published work. Unfortunately, he takes forever to write LOR's and I have no clue how he writes.

2) Professor of Biology at my undergrad institution. She has a MS in Clinical Chemistry and is working on a PhD in Epidemiology. She was also a research mentor for my undergraduate research project, and I also had her for classes from freshman to sophomore year. My grades also range from C's to A's for her classes (A&P C, Immunology A-), but with an upward trend for the higher-level courses. She was also impressed with my undergraduate research project. I know for a fact she is a great LOR writer and she would "strongly recommend" me.

3) Red Cross Supervisor. I have worked with his chapter of the RC for 5 years as a disaster services volunteer, assisting with fire/flood cleanup, and the past year and a half as a RC EMT. I was deployed as an EMT nationally, first to Joplin, MO to assist with medical help after the tornado, and to White Plains, NY after Hurricane Irene (both were 2-week assignments) under his direction. He knows I have a heart for what I want to do. The problem: he is a horrible, horrible letter writer, mostly because he is just too busy. However, he is one of the few people who have had long-term exposure to me, and knows how hard I work and why I want to practice medicine. Any recommendations for how I can maybe help work with him to make sure it's a good letter? I know he would write an amazing letter and make me sound like the sun shines out my ... you know, but just with a lot of spelling mistakes and other grammatical errors...

4) EMS Supervisor. I have been volunteering for my local non-profit EMS company for the past 6 months. All of us in the company are pretty close to each other, and he has approached me numerous times telling me I am doing a great job and that other EMT's have come to him with nothing but positive things said about me. As of right now, I have around ~150 hours working with the company, and I am still a "probationary" EMT member (I can not drive the ambulance yet, but can take vitals, do assessments, and act like a full EMT otherwise). The company is very strict with making sure EMT's are comfortable with every aspect of the ambulance, from the stretcher to administering medication, before letting them off of prob. From what I gather he really likes me, and has commented on me taking multiple shifts through the week (I sometimes take 2 shifts a week, where other prob's just do their one 6-hour shift a week), and has commented positively about me making all the company meeting (most prob's don't show up to any of the meetings). He knows I am definitely dedicated to not only the company and EMS in general, but patient care as well.

5) Psychology professor at my undergrad institution. She has a MA in clinical psychology, and is working on a PhD in psychology. She and I just clicked when I had her classes. I received A's in the two classes I had her for, and she was one of my favorite professors at my undergrad college. She approached me and told me whenever I needed a LOR she would be glad to write one. Even after graduating a year ago, she follows up on me and is interested in my studies. I feel she would write me a strong LOR, and perhaps this would look good for me?

6) I shadowed two D.Os (both had a practice together, internal medicine, and both actively practiced OMT, which was a plus for me) for ~100 hours over a period of 4 months, and one wrote me a wonderful LOR and told me to contact him if/when I needed more copies and he would submit them for me (he graduated from LECOM and was a new DO, I believe he was just out of residency). He definitely mentioned my interest in Osteopathic medicine, especially loving the OMT demonstrations and the patient contact. They both allowed me to really get hands-on experience with patients, and explained everything to me. They just really opened my eyes to OM, definitely the positives, but even the downsides (billing, insurance, etc). I shadowed them during my senior spring semester ('11). Is this LOR ok to submit for the '13 application cycle, or should I start looking to shadow again :( ? I would be disappointed if I had to, considering how important these two doc's are to me... I doubt I'll ever get another shadowing experience like that again (as you can see, I really loved them haha).

Sorry this is so long... but thanks to anyone who actually reads it and gives advice. Thanks so much! :)

Members don't see this ad.

First, reconsider the gift card. Writing LORs for students is an expected part of a professors job. I think a heartfelt thank you after they have written them is probably a much better way to say thank you. Most of them will be more touched by knowing that what they have done for you (LORs, guidance and advice they gave, educating you in general) is appreciated and meaningful. I wouldn't even be surprised if one or two of them returned the gift card to you. Even though you are not intending it as a bribe and they will probably know that, its still taboo. If you really want to give them one send it with the thank you card after it has been written.

Quality of letters is much more important that the quantity. Some schools ask for specifically 2 or 3 so I ranked the letters 1,2,3. Never send a mediocre letter just to have more letters, it will tarnish all the other good things that have been said. No matter what advice anyone one gives you, don't forget this!

Also Interfolio is the way to go, good choice - much less work for you and your letter writers. You may be grumble about the extra cost later but very worth it.

1) This will be your #1 letter! Not much to comment on - Multi-classes, known good writer, seen you grow as student :) He will have a lot to say, your lucky to have someone like this. Also, most schools accept chair of department in place of per-health committee.

2) Some schools ask for letters from 2 basic science professors in place of an advisory committee - send this and #1 for those. If your not using it for that then I would only send this if you are sending more than three.

3) I would include this as my #3 choice. It is a little risky with the grammar problems but I think the content is more than worth the risk, those qualities are what schools need to hear about. I would have a gentle (or not so gentle) conversation urging the use of spell check. Maybe even explain how those errors will reflect on you and tarnish all the good things he has to say. If he freely admits he is a bad writer you could offer to pay for him to send it to a paper editing service (I used papercheck.com) - I'm not sure on this though, it could be offensive / inappropriate. Hopefully other SDNers will have an opinion.

4) I wouldn't even bother asking. They may really like you but they don't have the long term relationship, may not have too much comment on and are probably not an experienced letter writer. Not a whole lot to add that #3 can't and good chance it will be a mediocre letter.

5) Sounds great, especially for schools that ask for a non-science letter. I would ask her - I think it would make her day - but only send it to schools you are sending more than three letters too.

6) I would keep this letter as your #2 choice - I would ask them for additional copies of the letter, they will have to send in one for Interfolio anyway, and have them "update" (not change ;)) the date on them. They understand how the process works and they like you, I doubt it will be a problem. Even with an '11 date I think you'll be ok for the '13 cycle - its a year old when your submitting them.

Last edited:
With writer #1 - ask now. Give him a deadline (4-6 weeks away) "I would like to have the letter by XYZ..." A week before for the deadline followup to "see if there is any additional information you can provide to help him" as a reminder. After the deadline you can start gently reminding him that you need it and its past due.

Good Luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Personal opinion on the EMS letter and Red Cross letter. If this comes down to choosing which one to use go with the Red Cross letter. Too many candidates always use EMS letters so that will not necessarily stand out as much. You definitely need to use at least one DO and have if you have two DO letters then you might want to consider getting rid of the EMS letter in favor of the DO letters if they are both strong letters. Some institutions have a set number of letters that they want to see and will literally blindly decide which to throw away. The rationale behind my thoughts here is you want to stand out, you want to come alive to the ADCOMs. Being an EMT has become one of the norms. However, Disaster Medicine is a newer field and something unusual. Again just my .02. Good luck this cycle.

Personal opinion on the EMS letter and Red Cross letter. If this comes down to choosing which one to use go with the Red Cross letter. Too many candidates always use EMS letters so that will not necessarily stand out as much. You definitely need to use at least one DO and have if you have two DO letters then you might want to consider getting rid of the EMS letter in favor of the DO letters if they are both strong letters. Some institutions have a set number of letters that they want to see and will literally blindly decide which to throw away. The rationale behind my thoughts here is you want to stand out, you want to come alive to the ADCOMs. Being an EMT has become one of the norms. However, Disaster Medicine is a newer field and something unusual. Again just my .02. Good luck this cycle.

^^ ditto. Plus, 6 months isn't all that long to get a good LOR from your supe anyway. The standard I've heard is 2+ years to work EMS before they write a really worthy letter.

Btw- OP: Dunkin Donuts!! :) I'm guessing your east coast! This west coast transplant misses DD!

^^ ditto. Plus, 6 months isn't all that long to get a good LOR from your supe anyway. The standard I've heard is 2+ years to work EMS before they write a really worthy letter.

Btw- OP: Dunkin Donuts!! :) I'm guessing your east coast! This west coast transplant misses DD!
From my personal experience, yep 1-2 years is pretty standard for getting anything noteworthy from an EMS Supervisor. Personally, I'd aim for getting one's Medical Director to write the letter not a Field Supervisor, but that's just me.