Opportunities for International rotations at CCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obliViate21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone attending Midwestern CCOM shed some light on 4th year rotations abroad? When I interviewed at the school, they mentioned that that was an option but my interviewers didn't seem to know too much about it. I understand that there are service trips done during the summer before the second year but I was curious if say I wanted to rotate in the UK or something? Thanks for responding in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Lol you tripped up ur interviewers. Classic.

Reactions: 1 user
Bump, I'm also curious about this

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard that you can do service trips through a national DO programs but I've never heard of a special CCOM program. I know there is a global medicine club but I don't think they do any special CCOM program. I know CCOM is very strict about completing rotations in "in-network" hospitals so I would doubt they have many international rotation opportunities.

CCOM arguably has the best rotations for a DO school. You don't want to be rotating internationally if you attend that school.

Reactions: 1 users
CCOM arguably has the best rotations for a DO school. You don't want to be rotating internationally if you attend that school.
Just out of curiosity what makes them one of the best for osteopathic rotations?

I mean....why.

If you're outside of the US, you want to be rotating in the US.

And if you're in the US, you want to be rotating at the very best places you can in the US.

If applying to US residency, spending a considerable amount of your clinical training outside the US, even if at a US med school, seems like shooting yourself in the foot.

Reactions: 1 user
I mean....why.

If you're outside of the US, you want to be rotating in the US.

And if you're in the US, you want to be rotating at the very best places you can in the US.

If applying to US residency, spending a considerable amount of your clinical training outside the US, even if at a US med school, seems like shooting yourself in the foot.
Yeah, 99% of the time this is true, but if you want to do things like international/global health, then this would be perfect for experience.

Yeah, 99% of the time this is true, but if you want to do things like international/global health, then this would be perfect for experience.

I mean sure if it's like a short elective then whatever. But if OP is talking about doing cores internationally that might not be the best choice for giving OP the best chances at the match (especially if going for a competitive specialty). I say this especially if OP just wants to travel and doesn't really have a particular interest in studying/practicing medicine in these places. In that case it might be better for OP to just travel on breaks.

And I thought global health covered predominately third world countries and the like -- that is, attempting to bring them up to the standard of care you find in developed nations. I didn't think such an interested necessarily applied to medically advanced nations like the UK. But maybe I have a misconception of what global health is supposed to cover.

Last edited:
I mean sure if it's like a short elective then whatever. But if OP is talking about doing cores internationally that might not be the best choice for giving OP the best chances at the match (especially if going for a competitive specialty). I say this especially if OP just wants to travel and doesn't really have a particular interest in studying/practicing medicine in these places. In that case it might be better for OP to just travel on breaks.

And I thought global health covered predominately third world countries and the like -- that is, attempting to bring them up to the standard of care you find in developed nations. I didn't think such an interested necessarily applied to medically advanced nations like the UK. But maybe I have a misconception of what global health is supposed to cover.
Global health experience can be anything that exposes you to a different style of healthcare. Just a learning experience I suppose, and I agree that core rotations should not be taken outside of the U.S., I was specifically talking about electives earlier so that was my fault for the confusion.

Probably because he goes there

No, because its true. All rotations are within the Chicago area. CCOM students have the same rotation spots as students from Rush and Chicago Medical School (which are MD schools). CCOM is quite expensive but besides cost, the most important thing about choosing a DO school is the quality of clinical years. Most DO schools can't muster up the quality of these rotations.

No, because its true. All rotations are within the Chicago area. CCOM students have the same rotation spots as students from Rush and Chicago Medical School (which are MD schools). CCOM is quite expensive but besides cost, the most important thing about choosing a DO school is the quality of clinical years. Most DO schools can't muster up the quality of these rotations.

So being a CCOM student, you know first hand about every other DO school's rotations?
Great rotations but "best" is subjective to one's opinion.

I don't know specifically about ccom, but I think most schools allow you to do elective rotations anywhere as long as a physician can evaluate you. Some of my classmates did rotations in South America, india, and china. They needed to find the rotations themselves, but I don't think they're too hard to find. I think most of them used it more as a vacation than anything else.

Last edited:
Nobody will be impressed with it outside of MPH programs. People will just think you had extra dough.

Reactions: 1 users
So being a CCOM student, you know first hand about every other DO school's rotations?
Great rotations but "best" is subjective to one's opinion.

That's why I included the word "arguably" in my first post. And just surf through the forums man, you can see for yourself. CCOM is touted so much specifically for its rotations.

And idk how the term "best" rotations could be subjective. You want to see good pathology and have good learning opportunities. Nothing really subjective about that.

That's why I included the word "arguably" in my first post. And just surf through the forums man, you can see for yourself. CCOM is touted so much specifically for its rotations.

And idk how the term "best" rotations could be subjective. You want to see good pathology and have good learning opportunities. Nothing really subjective about that.

To each his own.