Optometric Physicians

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I wanted to get the jump on this to save Jenny the trouble later on.

The whole "optometric physician" thing came about because some insurance companies refused to allow "non-physician providers" to participate in their coverage networks. To get around this, optometrists came up with the term "optometric physician". After all, I don't think anyone is disputing that ODs are quite capable of dealing with many medical issues that wouldn't qualify for vision plans (IOP checks for glaucoma, cataract evaluation/referral for surgery, detection of diabetic retinopathy, and so on). That's how the term came about - insurance.
That being said, there are, as always, fringe elements that do something contrary to good taste (ie. big billboards with Optometric Physician on them), but that is certainly a minority. As has been stated many, many times on this forum, most ODs are quite happy being ODs and going about their merry way.

Can we just let this thread die now? Things have been so peaceful lately.

Members don't see this ad.

That being said, there are, as always, fringe elements that do something contrary to good taste (ie. big billboards with Optometric Physician on them), but that is certainly a minority. As has been stated many, many times on this forum, most ODs are quite happy being ODs and going about their merry way.

on the white coats of NOVA students, it says Student - Optometric Physicians.
someone needs to give NOVA a wake-up call. the big billboard with optometric physician are coming from NOVA students. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
on the white coats of NOVA students, it says Student - Optometric Physicians.
someone needs to give NOVA a wake-up call. the big billboard with optometric physician are coming from NOVA students. :confused:

In Florida, your license title is: optometric physician.

So, since NOVA is in Florida it makes sense.

This is the most one-sided, blinded by ignorance, self-replicating enigma, what ball game are you watching statement I have heard in recent memory. Ophthalmology meets the definition of this statement as much as any entity in this universe. Get over yourself.

Also the desire to do business and make money is more instilled in the mind of an OD and money is a powerful force.

Would you recommend a DO Ophth do eye surgery on your mother? When I was growning up DO's could not even get priviliges at the local hospital. My how things have changed.

Apparently, you are not the kind of person that would stand-up for your principles and don't care about patient safety. I'd like to see you recommend a chiropracter to do orthopaedic surgery on your mother.

The only one who is trying to inflate his own ego is one "little" man called vanelo.

A very little man.

"Can't we all just get along?"

I hope all of YOU leave your EGO at home. Who cares if we are OD or MD. As an practicing Optometrist, i am proud to differentiate myself from Ophthalmologist when patients ask me who I am. To change the name to Optometric Physician is saying to others that Optometrists are not "real doctor". The only respect I asked for is when my patients refer to me as "doctor" when they come and leave my office. Remember, when you go home, you still have two eyes, two legs, two arms, and hopefully a smaller HEAD.