CNU2020

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2004
23
0
Chicago
Status
I am sort of curious as to what everyone’s take is on the term, “OPTOMETRIC PHYSICIAN.” Use it :thumbup: or don't use it :thumbdown: ? Have you even heard it before? :confused:
 

angelb

New Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
3
0
Status
CNU2020 said:
I am sort of curious as to what everyone’s take is on the term, “OPTOMETRIC PHYSICIAN.” Use it :thumbup: or don't use it :thumbdown: ? Have you even heard it before? :confused:

hmm, have heard it at NOVA for sure, where the jackets are embroidered with that, along with your name... I must admit it struck me as odd, but I wouldn't say I'm against it... just takes some getting used to...
 

jefguth

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2004
819
0
British Columbia
Status
Optometrist
I think I'm against it, it sounds kinda like these people; be they optometrists, chiropractors or whatever; are amending their title with physician in an attempt to associate themselves with the medical professional which they are not really a part of. I think it also adds to the confusion that the general public has surrounding the backgrounds of all the different health professional, especially those that produce "doctors."

It also really pisses alot of physicians (MDs, and DO's) right off. Although, some states define a physician as an MD, DO, OD, DC, DDS, DMS, etc. in their legislation, I think its still not really appropriate.

Optometrist should stand as a sufficient title for ones ego and it adequately differentiates the profession from the others.

If your search the opthamology forum you will find lots of fighting over this.
 
OP
C

CNU2020

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2004
23
0
Chicago
Status
The term physician seems applicable to Optometry to me personally. In order to prevent a mass chaos of Stedman thumpers adding in their 2 cents about what a physician is or isn't, we'll use the good ole Merriam Webster's definition:

Physician n 1 : a person skilled in the art of healing 2 : one exerting a remedial or salutary influence

Now, we all already know what Ophthamology (and 'pissed off MD's" for that matter) thinks of the term. They don't like it, because it's tough on the pride... or makes them less elite per se. I am not hoping to introduce yet another thread to dispute this. I'm more interested in types of things such as what your take is toward the effect on the general public and Optometrist themselves.

Ex. As an optometry student, many people will ask me what I am studying. When I reply Optometry, the usual response is, "Oh, is that a 2 year program?" Hmmm, no actually it generally takes eight. Whereas, if I tell them, I am studying to become an Optometric Physician they will likely ask me what I think about LASIK. At which point I will sometimes point them toward CRT.
 

jefguth

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2004
819
0
British Columbia
Status
Optometrist
Physician, in its common use refers to a person in the general practice of medicine, as opposed to a surgeon. Like you I don't want to start a war over the semantics, but depeding on the dictionary you will find different definitions.

While I find it troubling that the lay-person thinks you are getting you OD in two years and are somehow below an MD, I think the use of 'optometric physician' is somewhat misleading (if the public could be any more confused). By making a point of distinguishing the differences between the two professions I think we have a better chance of clearing the confusion and demonstrating that optometry offers many things that medical doctors cannot or do not provide.
 

rpames

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2000
1,179
2
Oshkosh, WI
Visit site
Status
Optometrist
I'm not really against it either, but I can see where the other side is coming from. I first started to see this use of physician from chiropractors. I always see them use "Chiropractic Physician" now days. I think what happened was they started to do it and the other sub-specialized fields said, "If they are going to do it, so will we." I don't know if that is true, but that is the trend I saw.

I can definitely see where the last poster is coming from. I always have to explain to laypersons that I will actually be a doctor; prescribe medications, Tx and Dx disease...they just don't get it. By adding the word physician they may start to think, as they should, that we are the primary eye care providers...even from medical problems. Unless it is surgical, we can probably deal with it.
 

cpw

It's a boy !!!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2001
13,393
0
43
Tampa
Status
Optometrist
Optometric Physician is used in Florida because that's what it says on your license in that state. Your license number is OP____

I believe this was done to help more ODs get on medical insurance plans. Or at least, that's what I've heard.

I know there were huge debates here at UHCO when they wanted to change the name to University of Houston College of Optometric Medicine. The class was pretty split 50/50 on whether to do that or not. Ultimately, I think they decided against it.

Personally, I think the AOA just needs to spend more time informing the public that ODs are more than just people saying "which is better one or two".

Also, for the person who said ODs are only a two year degree. What school did you go to ?? Every school in the US is a four year program after a BS/BA degree. Also, I've gone to school over the last two summers.. so actually it's almost a five year program.
 

JennyW

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 25, 2004
353
0
Status
CNU2020 said:
The term physician seems applicable to Optometry to me personally. In order to prevent a mass chaos of Stedman thumpers adding in their 2 cents about what a physician is or isn't, we'll use the good ole Merriam Webster's definition:

Physician n 1 : a person skilled in the art of healing 2 : one exerting a remedial or salutary influence

Now, we all already know what Ophthamology (and 'pissed off MD's" for that matter) thinks of the term. They don't like it, because it's tough on the pride... or makes them less elite per se. I am not hoping to introduce yet another thread to dispute this. I'm more interested in types of things such as what your take is toward the effect on the general public and Optometrist themselves.

Ex. As an optometry student, many people will ask me what I am studying. When I reply Optometry, the usual response is, "Oh, is that a 2 year program?" Hmmm, no actually it generally takes eight. Whereas, if I tell them, I am studying to become an Optometric Physician they will likely ask me what I think about LASIK. At which point I will sometimes point them toward CRT.

*sigh*

Why does this issue keep coming up??

Again, the use of the term "optometric physician" came about because for the longest time, managed care plans would only accept providers who were "physicians." Since it doesn't make sense that a pediatrician or a GP (or even orthopedic surgeons, technically) can see "pink eye" patients and ODs can not, ODs in some states started referring to themselves as "optometric physicians."

Since ODs were now physicians, VOILA! They were able to be enrolled on managed care plans and have access to those patients.

I'm sure there is a very small minority of ODs who use the term as a way of stroking their own ego, but I do not know of any OD who uses the term for this reason. The few that I do know who use it for insurance reasons never use it in any other case. If they are introduced to someone at a party and are asked what they do, no one says "I'm an optometric physician." They all say "I'm an optometrist."

If managed care plans had just properly allowed access to ODs in the past, the term would never have come up.

Jenny
 

rpames

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2000
1,179
2
Oshkosh, WI
Visit site
Status
Optometrist
CPW-

No one here said it is only a 2 year degree.
 

mdkurt

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 8, 2004
178
0
Status
CNU2020 said:
Ex. As an optometry student, many people will ask me what I am studying. When I reply Optometry, the usual response is, "Oh, is that a 2 year program?" Hmmm, no actually it generally takes eight.
Does that include undergrad? People will be more impressed if you start the clock with kindergarten and tell them your optometry degree took 21 years.
 

bolus jones

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
21
0
Status
mdkurt said:
Does that include undergrad? People will be more impressed if you start the clock with kindergarten and tell them your optometry degree took 21 years.

Yeah, maybe they would be impressed actually. To be quite honest though, I'm quite impressed with the fact that you feel the need to inflate your ego by coming onto the optometry forum just to make fun of someone. I don't care who you think you are...you're not better than any one of us just because MD is behind your name. For now though, I'll just assume that you are ignorant, have self-esteem issues, and the only thing that gives you some kind of confidence in yourself is the MD.
 

NEATOMD

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
369
0
36
Midwest
Status
Attending Physician
I think its a real shame that MD's and OD and PhD's have such trouble accepting each other. Personally, I'm going for my MD (referred to by some as an RD or "real doctor"). That doesn't make me any better than any of the other professionals out there, even be it EMT-P or RN. Instead of helping each other out where we should be, we find ourselves in power struggles like there is some shortage of unhealthy people out there. Thus, our current system of health care is nothing but a name. The truth is, in today's world we don't CARE about HEALTHY people. Furthermore, I think that MD's and DO's and OD's and what have you should combine forces to gain more overall rights. For instance, you don't see many OD's out there fighting for lower insurance rates for MD's. This is probably because they higher rates don't affect them now. But, if any one of you doesn't think that will change in the next few years, then you need to stop and think about it. Furthermore, this Optometric Physician phrasing only further propels the notion that all Doctors should be lumped together and thus encourages the previously mentioned insurance changes. We all know that if the insurance companies can find more ways to get more money from us, they'll do it. I personally don't really care what you decide to call yourselves as optometrists. However, know that the much needed change regarding the way we business professionals interact will have to start somewhere. Unfortunately, if we don't start the change with ourselves, it never will change.
 

bolus jones

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
21
0
Status
NEATOMD said:
I think its a real shame that MD's and OD and PhD's have such trouble accepting each other. Personally, I'm going for my MD (referred to by some as an RD or "real doctor"). That doesn't make me any better than any of the other professionals out there, even be it EMT-P or RN. Instead of helping each other out where we should be, we find ourselves in power struggles like there is some shortage of unhealthy people out there. Thus, our current system of health care is nothing but a name. The truth is, in today's world we don't CARE about HEALTHY people. Furthermore, I think that MD's and DO's and OD's and what have you should combine forces to gain more overall rights. For instance, you don't see many OD's out there fighting for lower insurance rates for MD's. This is probably because they higher rates don't affect them now. But, if any one of you doesn't think that will change in the next few years, then you need to stop and think about it. Furthermore, this Optometric Physician phrasing only further propels the notion that all Doctors should be lumped together and thus encourages the previously mentioned insurance changes. We all know that if the insurance companies can find more ways to get more money from us, they'll do it. I personally don't really care what you decide to call yourselves as optometrists. However, know that the much needed change regarding the way we business professionals interact will have to start somewhere. Unfortunately, if we don't start the change with ourselves, it never will change.
I AGREE!!! In an ideal situation (where we want to provide the best possible health care for our patients) we would all work together to provide an eyecare system that is seamless and works well for everybody. However, I also think it's a shame that there are still some people out there (some on both sides of the argument) that feel the need to continue this pointless quarrel over scope of practice. For one, no I don't believe optometrists should do surgery. Leave that for people who are trained in medical school as surgeons. However, I do believe optometrists are quite well-trained enough to be able to administer the oral medications that they would need to. That being said, hopefully someday we will reach an agreement where the optometrist will truly be the primary eye care provider and the ophthalmologist will be the specialist in the field. Until both sides can accept this and the fact that each degree has its own level of competency/good things and limitations, we will never get anywhere.
 

NEATOMD

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
369
0
36
Midwest
Status
Attending Physician
bolus jones said:
I AGREE!!! In an ideal situation (where we want to provide the best possible health care for our patients) we would all work together to provide an eyecare system that is seamless and works well for everybody. However, I also think it's a shame that there are still some people out there (some on both sides of the argument) that feel the need to continue this pointless quarrel over scope of practice. For one, no I don't believe optometrists should do surgery. Leave that for people who are trained in medical school as surgeons. However, I do believe optometrists are quite well-trained enough to be able to administer the oral medications that they would need to. That being said, hopefully someday we will reach an agreement where the optometrist will truly be the primary eye care provider and the ophthalmologist will be the specialist in the field. Until both sides can accept this and the fact that each degree has its own level of competency/good things and limitations, we will never get anywhere.
Well said Bolus... :clap:
+pissed+ <---- (that one's just cause I thought it was cool)
 

futuredoctorOD

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2005
151
2
Status
CNU2020 said:
I am sort of curious as to what everyone’s take is on the term, “OPTOMETRIC PHYSICIAN.” Use it :thumbup: or don't use it :thumbdown: ? Have you even heard it before? :confused:

I am a Pre-Optometry student applying to several programs and one of the ones I really like is NOVA Southeastern University. I respect the fact that they took the initiative (and rightfully, legally so I might add) to use the term, "Optometric Physician." This is the choice of the Doctor of Optometry to use along with, Optometric Doctor, Optometrist, Doctor of Optometry. This semantical argument has RAGED in every non-MD(and now non DO) doctoral field--DC, DPM, OD, etc...versus MD/DO..and frankly I am sick and tired of this :thumbdown: . My thoughts are---stick with the legal verbage in your state....the state I will be practicing in 5 years (after optometry school and 1 year ocular disease residency in the VA) allows me to use the term, "Optometric Physician." I will use this term. My brother (bless his little heart) is an MD and he feels slighted when I tell him that I am going to use this silly little "Optometric Physician" term. For god sakes my friend who graduated from Chiropractic school and practices in Ohio has the term, "Chiropractic Physician" on his state license!!!!! The bottom line is for all of the rational OD's and OMD's , MD's, DO's, DC's, DPM's, DDS's, out there-----the LAW is the LAW.....Practice in your scope and use the LEGAL VERBAGE you are ALLOWED by state law to use....... Whether it is Doctor of Basketweaving or Basketweaving Physician........this is your legal right rendering the semantical bickering meaningless.....

"Can we all just get along?"
 

JR

Guest
15+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2001
494
1
Visit site
Status
bolus jones said:
Yeah, maybe they would be impressed actually. To be quite honest though, I'm quite impressed with the fact that you feel the need to inflate your ego by coming onto the optometry forum just to make fun of someone. I don't care who you think you are...you're not better than any one of us just because MD is behind your name. For now though, I'll just assume that you are ignorant, have self-esteem issues, and the only thing that gives you some kind of confidence in yourself is the MD.
That actually was pretty funny, mdkurt! I am also quite impressed with the fact that phrases like "who do you think you are" and "you are no better then..." come mostly from OD posts.
 

Loncifer

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2004
35
0
Status
JR said:
That actually was pretty funny, mdkurt! I am also quite impressed with the fact that phrases like "who do you think you are" and "you are no better then..." come mostly from OD posts.
Dear Ignorant Sack,
For future reference, on an Optometry forum you can expect the comments to "come mostly from OD [or Optometry student] posts."

sincerely,
Loncifer
 
OP
C

CNU2020

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2004
23
0
Chicago
Status
Ok, I guess I'm to blame for starting this...

I hearby motion to close this thread and let her drift gently off to the archives.

Thanks for your comments,

--peace out--
 

mdkurt

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 8, 2004
178
0
Status
CNU2020 said:
Ok, I guess I'm to blame for starting this...

I hearby motion to close this thread and let her drift gently off to the archives.

Thanks for your comments,

--peace out--
Sorry all; for the record, I was enjoying the discussion and meant for my comment to be humorous, not malicious. Humor is tough to do correctly on these somewhat touchy forums.
 

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2002
5,633
17
San Diego, CA
www.facebook.com
Status
Attending Physician
Keep your 'optometric physician'. That's good.

I'll work on getting ophthalmologists to use: Eye Physician & Surgeon
 

rpames

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2000
1,179
2
Oshkosh, WI
Visit site
Status
Optometrist
Andrew_Doan said:
Keep your 'optometric physician'. That's good.

I'll work on getting ophthalmologists to use: Eye Physician & Surgeon
I don't think anyone would have a problem with that. :)
 

futuredoctorOD

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2005
151
2
Status
Andrew_Doan said:
Keep your 'optometric physician'. That's good.

I'll work on getting ophthalmologists to use: Eye Physician & Surgeon
Actually I have seen that moniker used by a number of opthalmologists I have spoken with about shadowing them. I think it is appropriate because that is WHAT they are!!!!!!! I feel that it is a fact that Podiatrists, Optometrists, Dentists, and (yes these folks too) Chiropractors, are all Physicians...because if they were not they would be able to advertise as such (ie Optometric Physician, Chiropractic Physician, Physician and Surgeon of the Foot, etc..) Everyone in health care contributes to a "big pot" but I feel that the semantical monopoly held by the "old guard"--Allopathy is slowly being eaten away. That said, the only "full scope" medical physicians are the Allopaths and Osteopaths.....God this is semantical overload.........I need to go study for my OAT lol..................


One question Dr. Doan.....where can I go to get involved with Opthalmic Research?


thanks

"Can't we all just get along?"
 

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2002
5,633
17
San Diego, CA
www.facebook.com
Status
Attending Physician
futuredoctorOD said:
One question Dr. Doan.....where can I go to get involved with Opthalmic Research?
This is a great question. You have to call up labs you're interested in and inquire about working there. It's a difficult and tedious process.

I'm currently working on a solution for this problem, but until then, you will have to search the web for labs and call/e-mail them one-by-one.

Good luck!
 

cpw

It's a boy !!!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2001
13,393
0
43
Tampa
Status
Optometrist
there are also opthalmic research (as in clinical studies) going on in all optometry schools. I'm working a contact lens study wednesday night, actually. (yay money!!) There's research at UHCO in vision science, clinical research for contact lens, low vision, pediatrics, etc.

Unless you're specifically looking for research done by large corportations, academic research is going on everywhere !!
 

bigred

Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2004
44
18
Status
I like the term eye doctor. It accurately describes the profession and is simple enough for anyone to understand. My opinion is that optometric physician is ok only for insurance purposes.
 

no exit

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2005
28
0
Status
The person who defined physician chose the least common definition. It seems pretty clear that the term physician is reserved for medical practice. But call yourself whatever you makes you happy...

<pasted from dictionary.com>

phy·si·cian Audio pronunciation of "physician" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (f-zshn)
n.

1. A person licensed to practice medicine; a medical doctor.
2. A person who practices general medicine as distinct from surgery.
3. A person who heals or exerts a healing influence.

[Middle English fisicien, from Old French, from fisique, medical science. See physic.]

[Download or Buy Now]
Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

phy·si·cian (f-zshn)
n.
Abbr. phys.

1. Abbr. phys. A person licensed to practice medicine; a medical doctor.
2. A person who practices general medicine as distinct from surgery.

Main Entry: phy·si·cian
Pronunciation: f&-'zish-&n
Function: noun

: a skilled health-care professional trained and licensed to practice medicine; specifically : a doctor of medicine or osteopathy

Source: The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary
Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
 

JG777

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2000
79
0
LA area, CA, USA
Visit site
Status
where can I go to get involved with Opthalmic Research?
are u still in undergrad?? usually, if you look on your school's website, you can look up folks who are doing vision research. or if you're out of college, you can look through nearby universities and check out folks doing research. usually, it's best to email or phone, explaining your situation and interests, giving them any experiences, a list of courses relevant to the type of research you might want to do.

if u were in ca, i highly recommend that you do research at ucla. they have lots of eye research going on there at the jules stein/doris stein eye research. i did my research there and it was very educational.

best of luck to you!
 

futuredoctorOD

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2005
151
2
Status
Thanks for the feedback! I will check out some of the things you said.... :thumbup:
JG777 said:
are u still in undergrad?? usually, if you look on your school's website, you can look up folks who are doing vision research. or if you're out of college, you can look through nearby universities and check out folks doing research. usually, it's best to email or phone, explaining your situation and interests, giving them any experiences, a list of courses relevant to the type of research you might want to do.

if u were in ca, i highly recommend that you do research at ucla. they have lots of eye research going on there at the jules stein/doris stein eye research. i did my research there and it was very educational.

best of luck to you!
 

futuredoctorOD

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2005
151
2
Status
You know, you make a damn good point....Maybe on my business card 5 yrs from now I will use Eye Doctor and for insurance purposes--Optometric Physician. 99% of people I have spoken with just call OD's Eye Doctors anyways....... :) QUOTE=bigred]I like the term eye doctor. It accurately describes the profession and is simple enough for anyone to understand. My opinion is that optometric physician is ok only for insurance purposes.[/QUOTE]
 

jefguth

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2004
819
0
British Columbia
Status
Optometrist
vanelo said:
Of course you like the term, it inflates all your egos... by deceiving people.
And I suppose that your ego is justifiably inflated? Probably not, but harassing a profession outside the allopathic tradition must be doing something for you...
 

NEATOMD

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
369
0
36
Midwest
Status
Attending Physician
vanelo said:
Of course you like the term, it inflates all your egos... by deceiving people.
Vanelo, you are halarious!!! Get it everyone, cause he said Eye Doctor = Deceving people....lol :laugh:

I forgot they should be using the more commonly accepted term for Optometrists which is "Eye glasses and contact perscription writer."
 

vanelo

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2004
314
1
ShuffleiPods4Free.com
Status
NEATOMD said:
I forgot they should be using the more commonly accepted term for Optometrists which is "Eye glasses and contact perscription writer."
WOW!! That is just great. I strongly support that term :clap: :clap:
 

NEATOMD

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
369
0
36
Midwest
Status
Attending Physician
In my work as an EMT people always referred to me as an "Ambulance Driver" instead of paramedic or EMT. I always thought this was funny because no one ever calls 911 and asks for a police car driver or fire truck driver to come...I can hear it now...

Phone rings:
Operator: 911...state your emergency.
Caller: Yeah, my house is on fire, send a Firetruck driver, quick!
Operator: OK... do you want me to send a firetruck and crew too?
 

jefguth

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2004
819
0
British Columbia
Status
Optometrist
Sounds like *someone* (vanelo?) is bitter about having to defend their medical education at Ponce...

Hopefully you can get over this so that one day you might actually have constructive discussions with optometrists instead of telling them to shut-up and stay out.
 

futuredoctorOD

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2005
151
2
Status
vanelo said:
Of course you like the term, it inflates all your egos... by deceiving people.

When I am treating eye diseases such as bacterial conjuntivitis, herpes zoster, diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma with oral medications, refracting (something that Opthos typically are not very good at), visiual rehabilitation, pediatric and geriatric vision...and my patients and 99% of the public aknowledges that I am an Eye Doctor--I will remember the comments of the little foolish MD with the little problem in his shorts and :laugh: . You just don't get it---even this forum's moderator Dr. Doan OMD, PhD----more credibility than you will EVER have says that OD's are Eye Doctors-------------Andrew_Doan posted 02-12-2005, 02:14 AM
"If you are sure that you don't want to do surgery AND you only want to be an eye doctor, then go into optometry.

If you even have the itch to be a medical doctor and perhaps be something other than an eye doctor, then I recommend medical school which will allow you to do many, many things.

Good luck!"

Vanelo---his opinion is shared by most in the medical community and reflects a cold fact--Optometrist and Eye Doctor are synonyms. You are just in denial... Unlike what you think I never even once wanted to or even had the desire to apply for medical school--I want to be a primary care eye doctor--this IS what a Doctor of Optometry is. Opthalmoligists are Eye Surgeons--you need to get used to this because OD's provide 70% of primary eye care in this country and that is a fact (I can provide you with sources if you don't believe me.)

You are in denial ;)
 

futuredoctorOD

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2005
151
2
Status
vanelo said:
Of course you like the term, it inflates all your egos... by deceiving people.

The only one who is trying to inflate his own ego is one "little" man called vanelo.

A very little man.

"Can't we all just get along?"
 

vanelo

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2004
314
1
ShuffleiPods4Free.com
Status
jefguth said:
Sounds like *someone* (vanelo?) is bitter about having to defend their medical education at Ponce...

Hopefully you can get over this so that one day you might actually have constructive discussions with optometrists instead of telling them to shut-up and stay out.
I almost fell off my chair laughing!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

And the relevance is????... :confused: :confused:

:D
 

jefguth

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2004
819
0
British Columbia
Status
Optometrist
The relevance is not to this thread, but your continued defamation of this profession and what your choice of words has to say about your personality and lack of professionalism.
 

futuredoctorOD

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2005
151
2
Status
jefguth said:
Sounds like *someone* (vanelo?) is bitter about having to defend their medical education at Ponce...

Hopefully you can get over this so that one day you might actually have constructive discussions with optometrists instead of telling them to shut-up and stay out.

Alas my fello Opto......Vanelo must have came from the 1920's in a time machine and thinks that all OD's can do is refract....Having a constructive conversation with him is like trying to talk about neurophysiology with a gorilla. But he can value his Ponce--Doctor of Medicine diploma and try to exlpain to everyone how it was a great academic institution! :laugh:
 

jefguth

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2004
819
0
British Columbia
Status
Optometrist
Lets not be too vicious here... It's not my intent to belittle anyones education based on where they recieved it. Hopefully we can keep thing cordial despite some of the nastiness that has been directed towards us and our chosen profession.
 

JR

Guest
15+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2001
494
1
Visit site
Status
Dear futuredoctorOD,

I have been following your posts for some time; not only you never post anything constructive, you are one of the most malignant foaming-at-the-mouth posters around. You have to keep in mind we are all smart people here and you are not fooling anyone. Take your own advice and be civil, mmmkay?

futuredoctorOD said:
Alas my fello Opto......Vanelo must have came from the 1920's in a time machine and thinks that all OD's can do is refract....Having a constructive conversation with him is like trying to talk about neurophysiology with a gorilla. But he can value his Ponce--Doctor of Medicine diploma and try to exlpain to everyone how it was a great academic institution! :laugh:
 

vanelo

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2004
314
1
ShuffleiPods4Free.com
Status
futuredoctorOD said:
Alas my fello Opto......Vanelo must have came from the 1920's in a time machine and thinks that all OD's can do is refract....Having a constructive conversation with him is like trying to talk about neurophysiology with a gorilla. But he can value his Ponce--Doctor of Medicine diploma and try to exlpain to everyone how it was a great academic institution! :laugh:

Well, I thank my academic institution for helping me in my Step 1>250 (but I seriously doubt you OD's knoiw about that) and me matching into a top 15 ophthalmology program (dont be jealous now please)

P.S. Now I kind of defended my institution.!!!! :laugh:
 

cpw

It's a boy !!!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2001
13,393
0
43
Tampa
Status
Optometrist
Okay the name calling stops NOW !!! I don't care who you are, what you've said or what school you went to. We are all professionals and COLLEAGUES !!! I hate putting the mod smack down... but I'm sick of it !

And, no ODs don't take the USMLE. We take the NBEO. It doesn't make us ignorant because we don't take your exam. I'm sure most med students couldn't pass our exams cuz they deal with different subject matter.

NO ONE HERE IS BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE !! We all made choices in life and I chose to be an OD.
 
OP
C

CNU2020

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2004
23
0
Chicago
Status
vanelo said:
Well, I thank my academic institution for helping me in my Step 1>250 (but I seriously doubt you OD's knoiw about that) and me matching into a top 15 ophthalmology program (dont be jealous now please)

P.S. Now I kind of defended my institution.!!!! :laugh:
First of all, I "pity da foo" who actually understood that garbled funk of words. I need an interpretation! Maybe it's code that only real doctors understand.

Several things to clarify, here.

First of all, I feel sorry for you Valeno. You're pursuing a career that pumps up your ego. You have to tear others down to feel that you're actually something. You've greatly mis-understood something: NO ONE HERE IS JEALOUS OF YOU. We've chosen this profession because its what we wanted to do... not because we weren't good enough to do what you've done. Let me re-itterate, I'd be an OMD if I wished to be one, but I've chosen to be an OD because it suits me better (like the atmostphere, hours, etc.). Someday, we'll both be doctors. When that day comes, I'll be happy go to work everyday because I've chosen a profession that I know I enjoy. From my impression, you'll likely be miserable and aggervated because you've chosen something on the basis of prestige and monitary reward. So, actually, rather than envy you, I feel sorry for you.

Finally, I suggest you humble yourself. I don't know if you've looked around lately, but we in the medical community all depend on each other. When you're 10 years into your practice and it's a failure, you'll remember these words, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you." Whom do you think will be referring to an Ophthamologist they can't trust? I certainly won't be. Anyone else? Shall we start a pole as to which OD's will refer to Valeno?

Good luck in life Valeno, you're gonna need it
 

vanelo

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2004
314
1
ShuffleiPods4Free.com
Status
CNU2020 said:
First of all, I "pity da foo" who actually understood that garbled funk of words. I need an interpretation! Maybe it's code that only real doctors understand.

Several things to clarify, here.

First of all, I feel sorry for you Valeno. You're pursuing a career that pumps up your ego. You have to tear others down to feel that you're actually something. You've greatly mis-understood something: NO ONE HERE IS JEALOUS OF YOU. We've chosen this profession because its what we wanted to do... not because we weren't good enough to do what you've done. Let me re-itterate, I'd be an OMD if I wished to be one, but I've chosen to be an OD because it suits me better (like the atmostphere, hours, etc.). Someday, we'll both be doctors. When that day comes, I'll be happy go to work everyday because I've chosen a profession that I know I enjoy. From my impression, you'll likely be miserable and aggervated because you've chosen something on the basis of prestige and monitary reward. So, actually, rather than envy you, I feel sorry for you.

Finally, I suggest you humble yourself. I don't know if you've looked around lately, but we in the medical community all depend on each other. When you're 10 years into your practice and it's a failure, you'll remember these words, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you." Whom do you think will be refering to an Ophthamologist they can't trust? I certainly won't be. Anyone else? Shall we start a pole as to which OD's will refer to Valeno?

Good luck in life Valeno, you're gonna need it
OMG, are all OD's as pathetic as you???? LOL