Optometry School Entering Class of 2005 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
shirlz1983 said:
Does anyone on this forum know how many students PCO accepted?

They told me that last year they accepted 156 students, and that was the most that they've ever accepted in a given year. I am not sure how many they will accept this year though, I am guess roughly the same probably.

Members don't see this ad.

akwong44 said:
They told me that last year they accepted 156 students, and that was the most that they've ever accepted in a given year. I am not sure how many they will accept this year though, I am guess roughly the same probably.

I think 156 accepted admission, I'm sure a lot more were actually accepted.

Got accepted to PCO yesterday by Email (Although they spelled my name wrong)

GPA: 2.8-2.9
Major: Biochemistry
OAT: AA 360
TS 370

First Choice! =)

Members don't see this ad :)
PLPrincess said:
I think 156 accepted admission, I'm sure a lot more were actually accepted.

You're right.

630 people applied, 277 were accepted, 156 were enrolled

Katalio said:
Got accepted to PCO yesterday by Email (Although they spelled my name wrong)

GPA: 2.8-2.9
Major: Biochemistry
OAT: AA 360
TS 370

First Choice! =)

YAYY! Congrats Katalio!

Congratz Katalio!!!! But now you won't get to visit Boston :(

Coney Eyeland said:
You're right.

630 people applied, 277 were accepted, 156 were enrolled
Hey where did you find those numbers from Coney eyeland?

mystro said:
Hey where did you find those numbers from Coney eyeland?

When PCO mailed me a catalogue, there were a few other random sheets in the package. This info was on a yellow sheet that I think was titled "PCO Entering Class of 2004 - Profile of Applicants". I don't have any info like this for any other school.

I got accepted to the PCO back in October! :D
OAT 350 Science Avg; 330 Academic Avg
GPA 3.0 or so...

Im a biology major from FSU, this snow thing is going to be fun :thumbup:

2005 Entering Class----

PCO: NYCBlues(*) , xpothosx , meb302 , Phillygirl98(*), dj1013 , JapAnime(*), MRFREEZE, jb4teen, Kristene9, akwong44(*), cunikki , kwijiboOO , amy13, bigred , Katalio(*) , Dominic

SCO: chemgirlie(*) , meb302 , carolinakid21(*), Bennyboy(*), stevec (*) , al-majhul , MDF614(*)

ICO: stompy , scraders(*), dj1013 , od2b77, MRFREEZE , texnnawlins

IU: meb302, beaneek, keara7282(*) , kaostonite, bigred

OSU: meb302(*) , leelee(*) , ErinMB(*)

SUNY: meb302 , noochie(*) , dj1013(*), hcheng, stompy(*) , JSH_0909 , raypirozzolo(*), bigred(*)

NOVA: judgeanna , carolinakid21 , dj1013 , xpothosx , jeffy1126(*) , jb4teen , chemgirlie , wrx04, J.opt, MRFREEZE , KwijiboOO, rocksurfSD

UHCO: carolinakid21 , J.opt(*) , nnk(*) , AggieOD2B (*), rockets82(*), xpothosx(*) , texnnawlins

NEWENCO: purplehaze98 , Phillygirl98 , nnk, cunikki, MRFREEZE , fluteangel01(*) , PLPrincess(*) , texnnawlins , ODra(*)

SCCO: chester , nnk, od2b77(*) , bravehrt , rocksurfSD , HYCW , JSH_0909 , cunikki (*) , texnnawlins

Pacific: Kristene9 , HYCW

Ferris (MCO): ning , ErinMD

UAB: stevec , Kristene9 , bigred

UCBSO: HYCW(*)

Was anyone accepted to NSU College of Optometry in Oklahoma?

GPA: 3.40
OAT: 330

Accepted: PCO :D and NECO :p
Pending: SUNY

Trying to decide btw PCO and NECO. HELLLLPPP!!! :scared:

KATALIO !!

I knew you would get it man !!

CONGRATS !!!!! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
GracieNY said:

Congrats!

(NECO :) cuz you get to be classmates with ODra and myself :laugh: )

GracieNY said:

NECO NECO NECO!!! :D

I got my letter of acceptance to Houston today :) but I'm still leaning towards UAB :)

Kristene9 said:
Congrats! have you picked which one you want to go to?
Thanks, I haven't quite decided, but it's down to UofH and SCCO. UofH has a wonderful curriculum and is the 2nd largest research school, but I loved the students and faculty at SCCO and the facilities. Plus I'm from Houston, so I figure I should take the opportunity to see a new place.

2005 Entering Class----

PCO: NYCBlues(*) , xpothosx , meb302 , Phillygirl98(*), dj1013 , JapAnime(*), MRFREEZE, jb4teen, Kristene9, akwong44(*), cunikki , kwijiboOO , amy13, bigred , Katalio(*) , Dominic, GracieNY

SCO: chemgirlie(*) , meb302 , carolinakid21(*), Bennyboy(*), stevec (*) , al-majhul , MDF614(*)

SUNY: meb302 , noochie(*) , dj1013(*), hcheng, stompy(*) , JSH_0909 , raypirozzolo(*), bigred(*)

NOVA: judgeanna , carolinakid21 , dj1013 , xpothosx , jeffy1126(*) , jb4teen , chemgirlie , wrx04, J.opt, MRFREEZE , KwijiboOO, rocksurfSD

UHCO: carolinakid21 , J.opt(*) , nnk(*) , AggieOD2B (*), rockets82(*), xpothosx(*) , texnnawlins, Kristene9

NEWENCO: purplehaze98 , Phillygirl98 , nnk, cunikki, MRFREEZE , fluteangel01(*) , PLPrincess(*) , texnnawlins , ODra(*), GracieNY

SCCO: chester , nnk, od2b77(*) , bravehrt , rocksurfSD , HYCW , JSH_0909 , cunikki (*) , texnnawlins

OUgirl said:
Was anyone accepted to NSU College of Optometry in Oklahoma?

I got everything in accept one reference letter. But in the end the idea of staying in Tahlequah Oklahoma just made me cringe. It is a VERY good school though and compared to the others, at a very good price. They told me when I visited that anyone with at least a 300 OAT and 3.0 GPA gets an interview.

texnnawlins said:
Thanks, I haven't quite decided, but it's down to UofH and SCCO. UofH has a wonderful curriculum and is the 2nd largest research school, but I loved the students and faculty at SCCO and the facilities. Plus I'm from Houston, so I figure I should take the opportunity to see a new place.

I didn’t know Houston was the second largest research school. Do you know what the first is?? I understand about wanting to see a new place. I’m from Texas and I really liked Houston, but I think I'm going to go to UAB just to do something different for a while, and I was pretty impressed by there school :)

I haven't read anything about the optometry school in St. Louis. Does anyone know why no one wants to go there?? or is it just really hard to get in?

I am a MO resident and am only applying to UM-St. Louis's Optometry school (at least for this year). I don't really know how hard it is to get into their school compared to other schools, but I do know that I am having troubles getting in. I am a 3rd year with a 3.95 GPA, 2+ years of work experience, and so far a 290 OAT. They told me to retake the OAT, so I retook it in February and am anxiously waiting for the scores (and hopefully an acceptance letter). Although I do not want to go to an optometry school besides the one in St. Louis, I am going apply to other schools next year because optometry is really the only career that I am wishing to pursue. I am just hoping that I can get into a program somewhere...the closer to home the better.

pre-opt said:
I am a MO resident and am only applying to UM-St. Louis's Optometry school (at least for this year). I don't really know how hard it is to get into their school compared to other schools, but I do know that I am having troubles getting in. I am a 3rd year with a 3.95 GPA, 2+ years of work experience, and so far a 290 OAT. They told me to retake the OAT, so I retook it in February and am anxiously waiting for the scores (and hopefully an acceptance letter). Although I do not want to go to an optometry school besides the one in St. Louis, I am going apply to other schools next year because optometry is really the only career that I am wishing to pursue. I am just hoping that I can get into a program somewhere...the closer to home the better.

Well if close to home means a lot, try ICO and SCO... they're pretty close, so is Oklahoma. One of the OD's I spoke to told me he wasn't really happy with how UMSL prepares students for clinic, and that many graduated without the amount of clinic they really needed to practice.

pre-opt said:

I was in your same situation last year. If this is the only career you want to puruse, I suggest you apply to other schools now. It's not too late for some schools and you may have a chance for acceptance. If you're not in a rush, you can always reapply next year if for any reason you don't get in this time around.

However, the school that is closer to home, that you have your heart set on going to, may not be the right school for you. It's a smart choice to look further into other schools like you said because they may have a curriculum that fits your academic needs better, such as student:faculty ratio, externships, location, clinical experience, etc. If St. Louis fits all the criteria, that's great...just don't limit yourself to one school like I did, because you might find something better out there.

Good Luck! Don't give up, follow your dreams :love:

To add to ongoing thread...

Accepted at: MCO, IU, ICO, PCO and SUNY
Attending: ??? but I think I have narrowed it down to ICO, PCO or SUNY

Stats
Total OAT: 330
GPA: 3.4
No previous optometry experience although I have had
1 1/2+ years of research experience

Good luck to all still waiting on acceptance letters!! :D :D

AggieOD2B said:
Accepted to UHCO! Thank goodness, since that is the only place I'm applying!
GPA: 3.7
OAT AA: 380
OAT TS: 380

How was your interview? What kind of wuestions did they ask and was it a relaxed interview? what format was it in? How long before they send you the acceptance letter? Sorry I know a lot of questions....but im goign to interview at UHCO soon :)

Accepted to UHCO :p
Will be attending UHCO in the fall

Jorosedana said:
How was your interview? What kind of wuestions did they ask and was it a relaxed interview? what format was it in? How long before they send you the acceptance letter? Sorry I know a lot of questions....but im goign to interview at UHCO soon :)

I interviewed about three weeks ago there. It was very laid back, I wouldn't stress about it at all. They ask all the typical questions. I have finished all my interviews and the most important things to know when you start any interview is: why you want to be an optometrist (show passion for the field) and want you can offer to their campus. You have to sell yourself, don't be afraid to gloat about leadership positions and accomplishments in your undergraduate career. Be sure and also know what the school has to offer you, it looks good to show that you have done your research and didn't just randomly pick the school out of the hat. It is also important to show a willingness to help the community. The interview was one faculty member and one student and I heard from them about a week and a half later.

Kristene9 said:
I didn’t know Houston was the second largest research school. Do you know what the first is?? I understand about wanting to see a new place. I’m from Texas and I really liked Houston, but I think I'm going to go to UAB just to do something different for a while, and I was pretty impressed by there school :)

At Houston they told us that UC- Berkley is the first largest research school, UAB is right behind Houston and Ohio

I was admitted to Pacific.
Trying to decide between Pacific and SCCO. So far, the no dress code at Pacific is a major plus. more on that later...
HOLLA

r_salis said:
2005 Entering Class----

PCO: NYCBlues(*) , xpothosx , meb302 , Phillygirl98(*), dj1013 , JapAnime(*), MRFREEZE, jb4teen, Kristene9, akwong44(*), cunikki , kwijiboOO , amy13, bigred , Katalio(*) , Dominic, GracieNY

UHCO: carolinakid21 , J.opt(*) , nnk(*) , AggieOD2B (*), rockets82(*), xpothosx(*) , texnnawlins, Kristene9

NEWENCO: purplehaze98 , Phillygirl98 , nnk, cunikki, MRFREEZE , fluteangel01(*) , PLPrincess(*) , texnnawlins , ODra(*), GracieNY

Theres a dress code at SCCO???

cpw said:
SCCO requires professional dress every day you're on campus.

? When I went to interview there they told me you just had to wear professional dress when you were in clinic.. which is the same as everywhere else. I even saw kids on the campus wearing jeans....???

fmd said:
Accepted to UHCO :p
Will be attending UHCO in the fall
Congratulations! :clap: :hardy:

Hey, have you guys ever seen that Verizon commercial where people go around yelling “I’m in!”?
Well, I feel like that sometimes :D

cunikki said:
? When I went to interview there they told me you just had to wear professional dress when you were in clinic.. which is the same as everywhere else. I even saw kids on the campus wearing jeans....???

There is a dress code but it's not really followed. It is supposed to be professional wear everyday even though you are not in clinic. From my friends who are students there, they probably followed the dress code the first week or so but then everybody just reverted back to jeans and sandals (it is So Cal). There is also this thing where the only thermos they want students to use is the one available in the bookstore with the monogram "SCCO" on it. I don't think they check that though. :)

PLPrincess said:
Congratz Katalio!!!! But now you won't get to visit Boston :(

Actually, I"m going to Boston as well! I wanna see their campus and such! =)

Did anybody accepted this year get below a 300 on the OAT?

PreOptMegs said:
Did anybody accepted this year get below a 300 on the OAT?

Yes.
First time was 290. Second time my average was 300.

Just wanted to let you all know, I found out I was accepted to ICO today. :) So now I have two acceptances (ICO and SCO). Still waiting to hear from Berkeley, as are all the rest of us I assume?

But this is making my decision even more difficult. :(

Just was accepted to MCO today. :D That was my 1st choice and i'll be attending in the fall.

wrx04 said:
Just was accepted to MCO today. :D That was my 1st choice and i'll be attending in the fall.

Congrats!!!! :thumbup:

wrx04 said:

wrx04, are you a resident of Michigan, or an out of state applicant? I will be applying there next year and am not from MI, and am looking for any non-Michigan applicants who have been accepted. I would be interested to know their OAT's, gpa's, backgrounds, etc. Thank you very much.

ppa93 said:
I am just wondering if anyone get accepted to an optometry school without having a bachelor degree?
I dont have a bachelor degree, and I just applied to PCO only. I just want to know the chances of me getting accepted. I didnt apply for it early because I was doing pharmacy haha. I was so afraid that I would have to take OAT. I did take OAT lol.
GPA:3.65
OAT: 360 Science
OAT:330 AA

Thank you guys
Any fob gets into one?
I am a fob, thats why

I got accepted to NECO this year without a degree, but my university will be awarding me my degree after I finish my 1st year at NECO (that's the agreement the schools have).

I'm not sure of PCO's stats, but out of the 155 that accepted admission to ICO last year, 9 were non-degree...for NECO, out of the 110 that accepted admission, 6 were non-degree. You might want to look at PCO's stats. Your GPA and OAT are definitely where they need to be, did you at least shadow an optometrist?

I've been accepted into PCO and your GPA and OAT scores are high enough. I think you have a pretty good chance. Have you talked to admissions about it?

eyesonwx said:
wrx04, are you a resident of Michigan, or an out of state applicant? I will be applying there next year and am not from MI, and am looking for any non-Michigan applicants who have been accepted. I would be interested to know their OAT's, gpa's, backgrounds, etc. Thank you very much.
I am a resident of Michigan. I know its really tough to get a spot if you're from out of state though. I think there were only 2 students in last years entering class from out of state. There was a guy interviewing the same day as me from Minnesota though, so i'm sure if you have the stats you'll at least get an interview. Just curious, why would you want to come to MCO?

I just received an email from Berkeley -- I was admitted! :) They'll be sending me a hard-copy in the mail tomorrow. :D

Now for the awful part of making a decision! :scared:

i got accepted to PCO, but so far i am sticking with NECO :)

2005 Entering Class----

PCO: NYCBlues(*) , xpothosx , meb302 , Phillygirl98(*), dj1013 , JapAnime(*), MRFREEZE, jb4teen, Kristene9, akwong44(*), cunikki , kwijiboOO , amy13, bigred , Katalio(*) , Dominic, GracieNY , fluteangel01 , RockandRoll

SCO: chemgirlie(*) , meb302 , carolinakid21(*), Bennyboy(*), stevec (*) , al-majhul , MDF614(*) , al-majhul

ICO: stompy , scraders(*), dj1013 , od2b77, MRFREEZE , texnnawlins , al-majhul , RockandRoll

IU: meb302, beaneek, keara7282(*) , kaostonite, bigred , RockandRoll

SUNY: meb302 , noochie(*) , dj1013(*), hcheng, stompy(*) , JSH_0909 , raypirozzolo(*), bigred(*) , RockandRoll

UHCO: carolinakid21 , J.opt(*) , nnk(*) , AggieOD2B (*), rockets82(*), xpothosx(*) , texnnawlins, Kristene9 , fmd(*)

Ferris (MCO): ning , ErinMD , wrx04(*), RockandRoll

UCBSO: HYCW(*) , al-majhul

2005 Entering Class----

PCO: NYCBlues(*) , xpothosx , meb302 , Phillygirl98(*), dj1013 , JapAnime(*), MRFREEZE, jb4teen, Kristene9, akwong44(*), cunikki , kwijiboOO , amy13, bigred , Katalio(*) , Dominic, GracieNY , fluteangel01 , RockandRoll

SCO: chemgirlie(*) , meb302 , carolinakid21(*), Bennyboy(*), stevec (*) , al-majhul , MDF614(*) , al-majhul

ICO: stompy , scraders(*), dj1013 , od2b77, MRFREEZE , texnnawlins , al-majhul , RockandRoll

IU: meb302, beaneek, keara7282(*) , kaostonite, bigred , RockandRoll

SUNY: meb302 , noochie(*) , dj1013(*), hcheng, stompy(*) , JSH_0909 , raypirozzolo(*), bigred(*) , RockandRoll, polkadot

UHCO: carolinakid21 , J.opt(*) , nnk(*) , AggieOD2B (*), rockets82(*), xpothosx(*) , texnnawlins, Kristene9 , fmd(*)

SCCO: chester , nnk, od2b77(*) , bravehrt , rocksurfSD , HYCW , JSH_0909 , cunikki (*) , texnnawlins, polkadot

Ferris (MCO): ning , ErinMD , wrx04(*), RockandRoll

UCBSO: HYCW(*) , al-majhul, polkadot(*)

Received acceptance to UCBSO today... :D

prereq GPA: 3.40
AA OAT: 360
TS OAT: 380

Status
Not open for further replies.