OR music

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JacksonInTheBox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so Ive had the chance to shadow a few docs into the OR and most everytime I go they were playing music in the background. Now I know not everyone is fan of classical music so I was wondering if you were a/planning on being a surgeon what music would you prefer to hear while you slice someone up?

Also what song do you think would be the most disturbing to hear as a patient right before you go under?

Members don't see this ad.

Country.

Yeah, I said it.

:D

---

When I had surgery I was out too fast to hear anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA2FmwF78QU[/YOUTUBE]

ACDC would be so funny.

Imagine a surgeon coming in singing Hell's Bells.

Im a rolling thunder, a pouring rain
Im comin on like a hurricane
My lightnings flashing across the sky
Youre only young but youre gonna die

I wont take no prisoners, wont spare no lives
Nobodys putting up a fight
I got my bell, Im gonna take you to hell
Im gonna get you, satan get you

Scary as **** but awesome at the same.

ok definitely this song would be terrifying to hear before going under:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0&feature=related

OMG.

party.png

[youtube]tA2FmwF78QU[/youtube]

Haha, Erasure... That was a great episode.

Music I would play: Ride of the Valkries (by Wagner). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V92OBNsQgxU This would be playing as I walked into the OR, with several nurses and techs in tow...oh yeah, and I'll have a cape on, which the anesthesiologist will take off for me....all while the music is playing.:D

Worst music for a patient to hear playing right before: Afroman - Because I Got High

**On a side note, I knew an ortho surg at the hospital I worked at in Cali who played Eminem during operations...

LOL @ Rick Roll'd ...

I love how the Macy's Parade muppet float got rick roll'd ... was hilarious. haha

Even though I don't want to be a surgeon, I would probably pick (for my first ever surgery) "Genesis" by Justice ... mainly because it's epic and awesome.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThKNt-GY1ww[/YOUTUBE]

Haha, I work for a company that makes OR management software and there is a place you can enter the surgeon's music preferences in their provider records...

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess as a patient I wouldn't want to be rolled into a room where Queen's Another One Bites the dust is playing...

If I heard "Taps" before I went under, I think I'd make a strong attempt at leaving the OR.

That or an audio learning track. "By now, you should be ready to try your first appendectomy. Let's begin!"

If I heard "Taps" before I went under, I think I'd make a strong attempt at leaving the OR.

That or an audio learning track. "By now, you should be ready to try your first appendectomy. Let's begin!"

:laugh: "Welcome to the wonderful world of appendectomies...I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from such medical learning videos as...." ( Simpson's anyone?)

Last edited:
One of my attendings used to put on a radio station and then ask us "Do you know who sings this?" in the middle of our surgeries.

One of the surgeons I observed wore a flame scrub cap and listened to heavy metal while operating. No joke. Metallica.

I think if i was surgeon I'd let my patients konw the day before that if they want to "listen" to any type of music while they are under that they should bring it that day and I will play it during the surgery. Itd be a cool way to hear new kinds of music and it will make the patient happy!

Dude, I'm tripping balls here. I thought I posted this in my sleep or something. Plus, it seems like the OP has similar tastes in music as I do.

Well...I want to go into surgery, and I would probably pick some radiohead or something like that....but as for the most disturbing...i would go with Du Hast by Rammstein

As premee worked in surgery for several years. Two stories.

1: First day of first OR shadow before i got the job... first procedure was a circumcision on a middle-aged male... song playing during incision? Beatles... all you need is love!

2. Had a patient scared out of her mind before a total knee. Lady was in tears... even after 3 of Versed. Going into the operating room... song was blaring... Another one bites the dust!!!!! Nurse ran over to turn off the music, and the AA and I did everything we could to keep the woman from rolling off her stretcher and running out of there. She cried up to the propofol....

HAHA great thread. This brought back some hilarious memories!!!! But no, I don't want to be a surgeon. What I HATE is the surgeons who put on that freakin Sci-Fi music that sounds like the soundtrack of "Close Encounters"... UGH... 5 hour CABG w/IMA and all you have is random beeps that are "musical".... 9th ring of hell...

WEEZY F. BABY, please.

all day er'day! EARLY!

I would play Broadway or Contemporary Christian (provided my team was comfortable with it)

If I was going under I would not want anything playing- I was lucky that when I had my surgery last month they didn't have anything going and it was a pleasant experience going out.

If I end up in some surgical specialty I have no doubt that I will play Wu-Tang, KRS one, and Lil Wayne in surgery. Being that I am a half nerdy white guy, I have no doubt that I will get a few strange looks from the people in the O.R.

The surgeon I shadowed played alot of Greenday and oldies.

Me I would play mostly country, classic rock, and jazz.

Coincidentally I observed a surgery today too. Sure enough, they were playing music. The OR staff seem really tight, they were all having a good time while the patient was being prepped and everything.

I also think that dark medical humor is hilarious. While the anesethiologist was intubating the patient I asked him what they do to stop the diaphragm from moving on its own, autonomously from the machine. The OR Nurse goes "a C2 fracture!" Funny as heck

In the OR where I work, each specialty tends to listen to the same kind of music. For example,

CT surgeons are always playing heavy metal or rap
General surgeons tend to play soft rock or 80's
GI seems to play country
Urology don't seem to play music at all
Plastics tend to play bluegrass or classical

One of the surgeons I observed wore a flame scrub cap and listened to heavy metal while operating. No joke. Metallica.

Sounds like my kind of surgeon. I would def. play some kind of hard rock....preferably Alter Bridge, Sixx AM, Shinedown, and Metallica :horns:

:laugh: "Welcome to the wonderful world of appendectomies...I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from such medical learning videos as...." ( Simpson's anyone?)

Awesome...simply awesome :claps: