Orascoptic EyeZoom - are they worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AADDS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Friends!

I am currently a Dental Student and am extremely interested in the new Orascoptic Eyezoom loupes. However, I wanted to do some research and read some reviews before I made such a large purchase. Unfortunately, I haven't had much luck finding information online so I was wondering if anyone has purchased these loupes and can give me an honest opinion regarding their value. Is it really worth getting adjustable magnification loupes or do you end up using one mag all the time anyways?

Let me know! Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I have 2 classmates that have them and like them, however they rarely go past 3x mag.

In addition to that, they are significantly heavier than any flip up loupes. If you can handle that kind of weight, and cost, go for it.

I can definitely see the appeal, but I would never get a pair.

I just ordered mine, after doing some research on the weight and comparing with others side by side.

Aside from the ability to change magnification, i also think the image I see through those lens are the best. It's really clear and sharp (they are Konica lens, which I really like as well).

I compared the weight, it's 93g for a devices that provide 3-5 x, a 4x normal TTL loupes weight from 68-75g depends on the manufacturer. A flip down weight from 82-95g.

I decided to go with the adjustable mainly because of the image and no that much weight different (hope I won't change my mind later, but that's what the 45 days trial period is for)

$ factor is not a concern for me (scholarship reimburse) , so I wasn't too worry on that but I know it's one of the most expensive loupes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I tried the eyezooms for a few weeks. They are nice loupes, but overkill for a dental student. I found that I was only using the 3x magnification. I had a slight issue with the fit and sent them back for the hi-res 3 and am pretty happy with these. Save your money for now.

I tried the eyezooms for a few weeks. They are nice loupes, but overkill for a dental student. I found that I was only using the 3x magnification. I had a slight issue with the fit and sent them back for the hi-res 3 and am pretty happy with these. Save your money for now.

Any difference between the Hi-Res 3's vs HDL 3s?

Actually I think I have the HDL 3's if those are the better ones. Mine are silver. Not sure on the differences. I like them.

All I know is that the HDL is 3x and possibly an older model
HDL%203.0_Right_360x360.png

And that Hi-Res 3's are 3.3x
HiRes3.jpg

I tried a pair and would say optics are clear but didn't like the fit of any of the frames really... Only one that I'd consider are grandpa styled. That being said I'd prefer a 3.5x prismatic being lighter weight.

I used to use a pair of Orascoptic 4.3 for general dentistry and also DFV 6.0 for endo, but I've been happy with the Eyezoom since it gives me 3 steps of magnification without having to switch between different loupes. These are the loupes that I have been recommending my LMC/UCSF AEGD residents to consider purchasing when they start their program since I am a strong believer in high magnfication not only for endo but for general dentistry purposes as well. My residents who have switched to these loupes really love the flexibility it gives them since they can switch between magnifications depending on the procedure they are doing. I would recommend at least trying it out for yourself.

They are very good. Optical quality out of the new Konica Minolta lenses are very good. The frames are comfortable and sturdy. I would definitely recommend the built in light/battery option as it makes the weight distribution better. Probably my #3 option in loupes behind #1 Zeiss EyeMagPro and #2 Exam Vision w/ Leica lenses.

Orascoptic reps should be offering a 60 day trial free period where they don't charge you to try them out. Worth contacting your rep.

They are very good. Optical quality out of the new Konica Minolta lenses are very good. The frames are comfortable and sturdy. I would definitely recommend the built in light/battery option as it makes the weight distribution better. Probably my #3 option in loupes behind #1 Zeiss EyeMagPro and #2 Exam Vision w/ Leica lenses.

Orascoptic reps should be offering a 60 day trial free period where they don't charge you to try them out. Worth contacting your rep.
I really liked the eyemag pro as well. Not sure why there's so much hate on them. Probably will buy those if I don't get a ttl prismatic. Not to mention I can get at cost. If only Zeus brought their ttl loupes to the US.

I have the Zeiss and they are definitely awesome if you're willing to compromise on the weight. I feel many dental students just balk at the price for a pair of high end loupes ultimately.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the Zeiss and they are definitely awesome if you're willing to compromise on the weight. I feel many dental students just balk at the price for a pair of high end loupes ultimately.
Any more details on the Zeiss? I've tried them a few times now just haven't made plunge. Now I'm thinking about it eyezoom does sound nice. If only they had a pair that aligned with my eyes to try. Anyone know if working distance is custom on them as well?

Working distance is custom. Depth of focus and field of view are not since they are tied together because of the 3x, 4x, and 5x mags.

The Zeiss are awesome. I have the 4.0 EyeMag Pro on the head strap mount with expanded field of view. Only downside is the weight, but the optical quality is unsurpassed. Pricing runs $2400 (for the package that includes the head strap mount) with 10% off for students through Schein only.

can you sterilized them? wouldn't it damage the lens ?

You can't really sterilize any loupes. You can disinfect them. They don't come with detachable pieces like Zeiss has that you can toss in the autoclave.

Thank you all so much for your replies! I appreciate the input! I have ordered the EyeZoom loupes and have decided to try them out for a 45 day trial period.

I recently tried the eyezooms and was in love with them after a couple days of use. I wish I had them all through dental school. I couldn't believe the detail I could see with them and it made me work faster because I didn't have to keep stopping to check my preps because I could see much more with these on than my regular 2.5s. But everyone has a personal preference. I enjoyed scaling them back to 3.0 for exams and using 5.0 zoom to put the final finishing details on a prep or restoration. I had them at 4.0 the majority of the time. I just ordered a pair for myself as well.

Reactions: 1 user
How much are they, Eyezoom? and what does 3x,4x,5x really mean? (is that same as 3.0, 4.0 & 5.0?). Any info on this product would be very helpful, I am a noob at this loupes thing. Thanksalot

@TakenX Eyezooms are around $4000 last time I checked. I dont know what you mean by 3.0, 4.0, and 5.0

But 3x, 4x, and 5x means the amount of magnification the lens has on normal vision (1x)

How much are they, Eyezoom? and what does 3x,4x,5x really mean? (is that same as 3.0, 4.0 & 5.0?). Any info on this product would be very helpful, I am a noob at this loupes thing. Thanksalot

If you're a student, it's $2200 with the discount.

If you're a student, it's $2200 with the discount.
Oh, well that's a big difference! Do they give you a light too? Or is that extra? And how are the lenses, also working range? Are they easy to focus and use? What are the pros & cons?

Oh, well that's a big difference! Do they give you a light too? Or is that extra? And how are the lenses, also working range? Are they easy to focus and use? What are the pros & cons?

It's $2600 with their light. Working distance is determined individually. Optical quality is great.
The obvious advantage is the fact that it's essentially 3 loupes in 1. Only con is the price tag.

If you can handle that kind of weight, and cost, go for it.