Organic II Lab Online?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txgirl96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am planning on applying for the 2018-2019 cycle, but I had a quick question that I need some opinions about. i have completed organic 1 and 2 and organic 1 lab at my university, but not organic 2 lab. My degree plan requires it, but the medical schools that I am applying to do not require organic 2 lab. I was wondering if it would look bad for me to take the lab online at UNE rather than my university? It would save me a lot of time and money, and I have heard it was a decent lab but I am not sure how this will look on my application. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You can take a lab online?!?!? That's news to me.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How does an online chem lab work?
I have read that they will send you the supplies for the lab and a lab notebook and you follow the procedures from a manual. I believe you upload pictures of results and turn in your manual at the end of the course!

I have read that they will send you the supplies for the lab and a lab notebook and you follow the procedures from a manual. I believe you upload pictures of results and turn in your manual at the end of the course!

What do you synthesize? Are you supposed to just make chemicals in your apartment? What about PPE? This seems questionable to me

What do you synthesize? Are you supposed to just make chemicals in your apartment? What about PPE? This seems questionable to me
I am not sure exactly how it works since I cant find the syllabus online or specific information but I did find another post on here where someone said that they had a professor say the lab was pretty accurate to an in person lab. I am not totally sure if any of this information is accurate though!

I am not sure exactly how it works since I cant find the syllabus online or specific information but I did find another post on here where someone said that they had a professor say the lab was pretty accurate to an in person lab. I am not totally sure if any of this information is accurate though!

Starting a lab in your own home sounds dangerous. Aside from safety, I'm not sure how the adcoms will take conducting a lab "online." Its up to you whether you want to take the risk or not. I, personally, would pay the piper and just cut your losses and take the lab. My opinion though...

What...? Lots of the solvents and chemicals used in Organic lab are flammable, have dangerous fumes, or both, and need to be placed under a fume hood. On top of that the university always requires a graduate TA or the lab director him/herself supervising. OP might as well start cooking meth on his own if this is how it works.

Reactions: 1 users
What...? Lots of the solvents and chemicals used in Organic lab are flammable, have dangerous fumes, or both, and need to be placed under a fume hood. On top of that the university always requires a graduate TA or the lab director him/herself supervising. OP might as well start cooking meth on his own if this is how it works.

On top of that a lot of chemicals have super complex disposal procedures. It's not like OP can just chug everything down the kitchen sink once the reaction is complete. The good outcome is that the sink pipe melts down and OP has to fix it. The bad outcome is the chemicals leaking into some common facility and poison everybody in the locale.

I tried something similar for orgo II but then I got all this stuff

sg7nbiM.jpg

Something just seemed off about this class so I returned the supplies and enrolled in a traditional lab.

Reactions: 1 users
The online version of orgo II lab at my school was completely simulated. All chemicals, tools, and manuals were displayed on-screen.

I am planning on applying for the 2018-2019 cycle, but I had a quick question that I need some opinions about. i have completed organic 1 and 2 and organic 1 lab at my university, but not organic 2 lab. My degree plan requires it, but the medical schools that I am applying to do not require organic 2 lab. I was wondering if it would look bad for me to take the lab online at UNE rather than my university? It would save me a lot of time and money, and I have heard it was a decent lab but I am not sure how this will look on my application.
If OChem II is required by your degree plan, have you checked to see if your university will accept the online credits in transfer to satisfy the requirement? You don't want to be in the position of having to take the lab twice (and spend even more time and money) because your uni is picky.

Lol online organic chemistry lab?? That's a joke. Just don't take the class before considering that one online.