This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This was likely asked before (and if so, could you kindly direct me to your response? was looking for it but couldn't find it :bag::sorry:):

but what are some tips you have for students to excel in their MS3 rotations, specifically in surgery? I think showing up early, being concise, being attentive and excited to learn are important (but not to overdo it), but would appreciate some specifics or examples.

A similar question was answered here:
ortho attending AMA

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, thank you for doing this. Do you need to do a fellowship in trauma to get a trauma job? Also, what is your typical week like (clinic days vs. operative days).
As an incoming MS-1, is there anything you recommend me doing to get a foot in the door for ortho? Thanks!

First of all, thank you for doing this. Do you need to do a fellowship in trauma to get a trauma job? Also, what is your typical week like (clinic days vs. operative days).
As an incoming MS-1, is there anything you recommend me doing to get a foot in the door for ortho? Thanks!

With regard to the fellowship question, yes fellowship is necessary if you want to work strictly as a traumatologist, particularly in a hospital system. Most private groups who seek trauma people also require fellowships. I spoke about fellowships earlier in the thread. 95% of orthopaedic residents do a fellowship.

During a typical week, I am in clinic once a week, administrative day once a week, and the rest of the time I am in the OR. I split the trauma room with my partner equally so that each of us has about the same amount of time in the room averaged out over a month. Keep in mind that having an administrative day is not the case for most people unless you are in academics and have a significant reason to have an administrative day in the first place. Most people will have half a day, or no day at all. People usually do their research stuff around their other clinical duties. I am fortunate in that regard.

I’ve answered your third question earlier in the thread. My biggest piece of advice would be not to develop tunnel vision about ortho and to explore everything. But in terms of getting your foot in the door, get into ortho research. Research these days is key.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know you’ve said spine was one of your least favorite, and the patient population can be tough to deal with, but I was wondering how your spine colleagues feel about their subspecialty? How do they feel about the patient population? Also, what do they enjoy most about that field?

I know you’ve said spine was one of your least favorite, and the patient population can be tough to deal with, but I was wondering how your spine colleagues feel about their subspecialty? How do they feel about the patient population? Also, what do they enjoy most about that field?

I have no idea. You would have to ask a spine surgeon.
Most of those I have met seem to like what they do, but not because of the patients. It’s their life outside of work that does the trick.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
They feel $uper $trongly about the $pine $ubspecialty

Do you have any specific recommendations for D.O. applicants other than the ones you've listed in the previous pages? What would be a good source to learn the lingo of orthopaedic? I ordered the PE of spine and extremities like you recommended so hopefully that will help.

I have no idea. You would have to ask a spine surgeon.
Most of those I have met seem to like what they do, but not because of the patients. It’s their life outside of work that does the trick.

Is it looked down upon or anything like that if you can tell someone is solely interested in ortho spine when applying to programs?

Is it looked down upon or anything like that if you can tell someone is solely interested in ortho spine when applying to programs?

Maybe I’m just very cynical but I’m not sure how anyone could’ve gotten enough exposure to spine (outside of staring at an MGMA survey of course) in med school that they would be soooo sure that’s what they wanted to do.

Maybe I’m just very cynical but I’m not sure how anyone could’ve gotten enough exposure to spine (outside of staring at an MGMA survey of course) in med school that they would be soooo sure that’s what they wanted to do.

That makes sense, I was just curious as to how the practicing physicians viewed that. So you think as long as you have some other ortho research in your CV it should be ok?

Do you have any specific recommendations for D.O. applicants other than the ones you've listed in the previous pages? What would be a good source to learn the lingo of orthopaedic? I ordered the PE of spine and extremities like you recommended so hopefully that will help.

Orthobullets.com

Members don't see this ad :)
Vaguely remember talk about free books for residents if they complete X number of modules from one of the implant companies? any truth to this?

Which joints do you think have the highest tendency for posttraumatic arthritis?

Is there a point of diminishing returns as far as scores go? Like beyond 250 programs don’t care as much cause you’ve checked the box and it becomes more about LORs and aways?

Is there a point of diminishing returns as far as scores go? Like beyond 250 programs don’t care as much cause you’ve checked the box and it becomes more about LORs and aways?

Yes... for places that don’t use cutoffs, if you’re in the average step 1 range they will look at other things.

Wow so there are places with cutoffs above 250? That’s nuts

Not officially. But see Shrock et al, JAAOS 2017. Polled 100+ programs. 83% used some kind of cutoff score. 21% used a cutoff above 240. I assume some of those 21% probably have a (non-public) higher cutoff.

I was recently listening to an episode of The Undifferentiated Medical Student podcast with an orthopedic surgeon on (foot and ankle) and he said something along the lines of "If you feel deficient in an area after residency, do a fellowship in it".

I was wondering your thoughts on this vs doing a fellowship in what you enjoy, but might feel much more confident performing after residency.

Do you think ACLs are often unnecessarily operated on in the community?

Most annoying thing the ED calls you about routinely and what to do about it?

I was recently listening to an episode of The Undifferentiated Medical Student podcast with an orthopedic surgeon on (foot and ankle) and he said something along the lines of "If you feel deficient in an area after residency, do a fellowship in it".

I was wondering your thoughts on this vs doing a fellowship in what you enjoy, but might feel much more confident performing after residency.

Certainly if you’re not strong in something AND interested in it, you should do a fellowship. But the interest has to be there. Since 95% of ortho residents do fellowships, you should do something you enjoy since that is what you will end up doing. Don’t do a fellowship just to gain experience.

Reactions: 2 users
I’d want mine fixed for sure.

After a failed surgery (my own, I mean, as a patient), I would never want to be in the OR unless it was a last resort. I try to talk patients out of surgery on a regular basis when they are told they “need” something. (If nonop achieves similar results in the literature.) in terms of ACL I think literature leans toward operative in young very active people. I work out 6 days a week and run, so I think I would have mine done at my age.

Regarding the topic of unnecessary procedures in medicine in general in the private practice world, is this alleviated in academics? Docs in academics generally don't have a financial incentive to operate right?

After a failed surgery (my own, I mean, as a patient), I would never want to be in the OR unless it was a last resort. I try to talk patients out of surgery on a regular basis when they are told they “need” something. (If nonop achieves similar results in the literature.) in terms of ACL I think literature leans toward operative in young very active people. I work out 6 days a week and run, so I think I would have mine done at my age.

I agree with all of this and I certainly don’t recommend everyone have their ACL fixed if it’s torn.

What's the lifestyle like for sports orthopods? similar to joints?

How much time do you spend on research now? Do you wish you could do more?

Do you have students or admin that help coordinate your studies? If so, do most faculty at your institution have the opportunity to get research staff or is it something you have to find on your own?

Would you agree that research within the trauma field is being emphasized more or is it pretty much been the same?

How much time do you spend on research now? Do you wish you could do more?

Do you have students or admin that help coordinate your studies? If so, do most faculty at your institution have the opportunity to get research staff or is it something you have to find on your own?

Would you agree that research within the trauma field is being emphasized more or is it pretty much been the same?

I have one research/admin day a week.
Most level 1s have research coordinators. There are also students and residents who help do projects. But that’s only in large academic places —harder in smaller places, and almost impossible in private practice since you’re in an eat what you kill mentality and anytime you’re doing anything other than patient care, you’re losing money.

Research is being emphasized in trauma yes, more than in the past. But it is the same in other subspecialties. I have a strong bias because I’ve been involved in research on a high level for my entire professional life. It’s hard to judge progress at the bottom of the mountain when you’re wandering around in the higher levels.

I have one research/admin day a week.
Most level 1s have research coordinators. There are also students and residents who help do projects. But that’s only in large academic places —harder in smaller places, and almost impossible in private practice since you’re in an eat what you kill mentality and anytime you’re doing anything other than patient care, you’re losing money.

Research is being emphasized in trauma yes, more than in the past. But it is the same in other subspecialties. I have a strong bias because I’ve been involved in research on a high level for my entire professional life. It’s hard to judge progress at the bottom of the mountain when you’re wandering around in the higher levels.
What does it really mean for an attending to be involved in research? Are you involved in clinical or basic science research? I'm assuming clinical, so do you say something like, "I want to do a clinical trial comparing patient outcomes if I do X surgery versus Y surgery," and then the academic center approves it or not? Then what happens if they approve it?

What does it really mean for an attending to be involved in research? Are you involved in clinical or basic science research? I'm assuming clinical, so do you say something like, "I want to do a clinical trial comparing patient outcomes if I do X surgery versus Y surgery," and then the academic center approves it or not? Then what happens if they approve it?

Yep. But 99% of clinical research is retrospective, rather than RCTs (which are done on a larger scale and in trauma, usually under an oversight of a major body like METRC). For smaller studies, basically you have an idea, discuss at research meeting, fill out the IRB, gather the data, and write the manuscript...

Depends ... what was your BAC? ;)
I don’t think would be issue for residency, if you got into med school with it.

Lol no BAC on record but I had just a few beers and got pulled over, eventually got pled down to impaired driving.
But yeah, med school was the big hurdle with that mistake that I was able to get past.

Just hope people dont hold a 6 year old mistake against me during ERAS, but from most I've asked, it wont given the time since.

Lol no BAC on record but I had just a few beers and got pulled over, eventually got pled down to impaired driving.
But yeah, med school was the big hurdle with that mistake that I was able to get past.

Just hope people dont hold a 6 year old mistake against me during ERAS, but from most I've asked, it wont given the time since.

You should be fine.

As an incoming intern scared s*itless about the upcoming year, I wanted to ask: what is the most common mistake that you see new interns make? Any way to prevent that from happening?

As an incoming intern scared s*itless about the upcoming year, I wanted to ask: what is the most common mistake that you see new interns make? Any way to prevent that from happening?

Making stuff up to avoid admitting you don’t know something or because you didn’t do something, or because you forgot something, and you’re scared.
Solution: Never lie. Never.

What does it take to get into ortho these days?

Also assuming I do research, do they all have to be related to ortho?

Yeah, lying is a bad one.

Another one is trying to be a cowboy. Check your pride. Especially in July and August, if you find yourself wondering what to do,just call your senior. You are never alone.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.