Thanks so much for taking the time to to this, @OrthoTraumaMD
Many of my questions have been answered above. Here are a few more I've was thinking of:
I'm currently a 4th year PharmD student and will start medical school in July at a private school (NIH funding in the top 40-50 range). I decided on medical school 3 years ago with my sights set on Ortho (any non-surgical specialty and I probably would have stayed in pharmacy). I've got a few publications under my belt in other areas (Oncology, neurosurgery) and I'm now working with my undergrad institution's ortho dept on some papers before I move for medical school.
1. A few subspecialties catch my eye but spine is a front runner. I am more inclined to end up in an academic setting as I'd love to incorporate some teaching in my life. How do you see residencies as they pertain to employment in an academic setting? Particularly if I'd like to live on the west coast (more competitive as you stated previously). What type of residencies should I look for if this is a goal of mine? Also, is there a solid resource for learning more about these residencies or is it primarily word of mouth?
2. Thoughts on ortho spine vs neurosurg spine in 15 years? One pushing another out?
3. I'll be within a reasonable distance of Rush which I've heard has a fairly research heavy ortho department. Would a summer (M1-M2) research experience be something worth pursuing here? Maybe with goals of research experience, networking, and potentially a letter of rec when the time comes? Or would staying at my home hospital provide the same benefit?
4. As you said, MSS education is lacking at a lot of schools. Did you supplement your learning on the side while in med school?
As a comment, I saw ~110 lb female ortho resident reduce a hip while I was on one of my PharmD rotations - +1 on technique > strength! Thx again - cheers
1. I said this on another post, but fellowships are much more important than residencies in obtaining academic jobs, because they have a more vested interest in ensuring that all their graduates have good jobs. Spine has lots of prestige, if you can handle the patients (chronic pain etc)-- personally I never want to see another spine as long as I live. I think your goal should be to match wherever you can. If you want to stay on the West coast, look into any of the UC residencies, and also up in Seattle, preferably one in which there are few fellows, because they tend to take cases away from the residents. Ultimately, I think any residency will be able to train you well, and no one does spine these days without a fellowship-- so if you want an academic job later on, you will need to do a fellowship anyway. To learn about residencies, their own websites and OrthoGate are good resources-- otherwise it's pretty much word of mouth, as far as I know.
2. I was just talking about this with a neurosurg spine person. I think at this point, they are fairly equivalent. In the past, deformity correction was the purview of only ortho spine, but now they pretty much do the same thing. The only difference is whether the other stuff you do is bones or brains. People generally tend to like one over another. The surgeon I was talking to said that he wouldn't be surprised if eventually, spine became its own residency. And it makes sense-- within ortho, spine is very specialized, and most orthopods want nothing to do with it. It's a totally separate "spine call," and is not like trauma where most people participate.
3. Rush is a great and highly competitive program. It's always a good idea to do research in the summer; I did between my first and second year of med school, and it was great. Even if you don't have a great project, it will introduce you to the attendings and residents, and it's always good to have a leg up in a program like that. A letter from them would probably count for more. But I say this with a caveat-- it would need to be a great, or at least not an average letter. All too often I see applications with very short, obviously copied and pasted letters from great places, and applications with very strong personal letters from a not-so-great place. For me, the personal letter matters much more. But every interviewer is different.
4. Unfortunately, I did not supplement my learning of MSK while I was in med school; I wish I would have. One of my earlier posts has some book suggestions if you want to take a look.