This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

almo0318

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a third year medical student from a US MD program who would like to match Ortho next year. Before medical school I was a professional musician, which lead me to the idea of being a hand surgeon so that I could help other fellow musicians or craftsman who rely on their hands to support themselves.

I recently received my Step 1 score which was a 239 - about 13 points below my projected score. Instead of being upset by it, I plan on just moving forward and doing my best to show resilience after not attaining my goal. In my first two years I received mostly A's and 2 B's. I also was a tutor for the first year medical students and have a few research experiences, including a pending patent (none of research was in the Ortho field but I am working on a radiology project right now focusing on vertebral anomalies).

Question 1: Am I still competitive enough to have a good chance of matching?

Question 2: I've heard a good way to overcome a below average step score is obtaining good away rotations. Does anyone have advice on how to obtain/choose away rotations that are good fits?

Sorry for all the questions. I don't have anyone in the medical field in my family so I am reaching out to the online community for help!

Thanks in advanced!

Members don't see this ad.

have a few research experiences, including a pending patent (none of research was in the Ortho field but I am working on a radiology project right now focusing on vertebral anomalies).

The only thing I know about ortho is that to be competitive, you need to have strong research in ortho (ie not rads). So I would try to find some ortho-specific research asap.

I'll let others with more knowledge and experience comment on your other questions.

So yeah, that Step 1 didn't do you any favors; I'm sure you've read the numbers and charting outcomes and all that.

Now, to make the best of your situation, you'll need to crush 3rd year, do ortho research, talk with people ahead of you/look online at places you would like to rotate and think would be a good fit, and absolutely crush those. You're not out of ortho yet (though a lot of places have 240 cutoffs), but know that it will be difficult, so you should also take time to seriously consider what your backup option is, whether research year, prelim year, or another specialty. Aways will be your best chance at this point, for example, I know someone who underscored on Step, had 2 interviews from aways, and matched #1. But again, be realistic, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
So yeah, that Step 1 didn't do you any favors; I'm sure you've read the numbers and charting outcomes and all that.

Now, to make the best of your situation, you'll need to crush 3rd year, do ortho research, talk with people ahead of you/look online at places you would like to rotate and think would be a good fit, and absolutely crush those. You're not out of ortho yet (though a lot of places have 240 cutoffs), but know that it will be difficult, so you should also take time to seriously consider what your backup option is, whether research year, prelim year, or another specialty. Aways will be your best chance at this point, for example, I know someone who underscored on Step, had 2 interviews from aways, and matched #1. But again, be realistic, too.

Is there an MSAR-esque site that lists every programs average step score and other pieces of information?

Is there an MSAR-esque site that lists every programs average step score and other pieces of information?
You can look on the Freida website, but the info there is pretty inaccurate. A handful of programs list scores on their website. You can take a look at the google spreadsheet (I'm afraid I don't have the link handy) and see about a lot of the programs about who they interviewed.

Reactions: 1 user

Was trying to post the 2017-18 spreadsheet, but it wouldn't let me. I'll post the reddit link to it instead:

May not have the info you're looking for (didn't really check), but it's pretty interesting info.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Was trying to post the 2017-18 spreadsheet, but it wouldn't let me. I'll post the reddit link to it instead:

May not have the info you're looking for (didn't reallly check), but it's pretty interesting info.

Awesome thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi to everyone!

I am looking for advice whether or not I will have a good chance at matching in ortho.

I got a 258 on step 1, 3.91 GPA, ranked #5 in my class. I have two poster presentations in ortho research, but only one abstract publication (I am doing everything possible to get 1-2 case reports published by the time I apply). I have a good amount of community service and other academic experiences but I did not make AOA.

I know I am lacking in publications... I just wanted to see what everyone thought. Thanks in advance.

Hi to everyone!

I am looking for advice whether or not I will have a good chance at matching in ortho.

I got a 258 on step 1, 3.91 GPA, ranked #5 in my class. I have two poster presentations in ortho research, but only one abstract publication (I am doing everything possible to get 1-2 case reports published by the time I apply). I have a good amount of community service and other academic experiences but I did not make AOA.

I know I am lacking in publications... I just wanted to see what everyone thought. Thanks in advance.

Kill your aways, get good letters, and you should be fine.