Osteopathic Medicine and Allopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johrisa

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY! :love:

I would like to know about the Osteopathic Medicine Program. My
Daughter (senior in High School) is applying for colleges (interested in pre-med program) and got accepted for the 7-year Pre-Medicine/Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Program at SUNY New Paltz/New York College of Osteopathic Medicine. She has to go for the interview in March. Do you think it's a nice program? Is there someone familiar with DO?s? What is the difference between Osteopathic doctors and general allopathic doctors? What fields (specialties) are open for DO's? Please let me know.

>
> Thanks and best wishes,
>
> Sanju :)
Email:[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

Osteopathic physicians are DOs. Optometrists are ODs.

You might want to do a search of the forums as this has all been discussed many times.

Quick answers, though:
DOs can specialize in any area of medicine just like MDs
DOs are more likely to choose to go into primary care areas, as many of the schools emphasize this.
DOs are the same as MDs, but they are taught OMT, which is manipulation techniques similar to physical therapy.
There are some underlying "philosophical" differences between DOs and MDs, but most physicians practice very similarly.

You should check out the osteopathic students link on this website, its on the main page when you load up studentdoctor.net.

An osteopathic doctor goes through 4 years of medical school just like their allopathic counterpart but in addition learn more anatomy and the musculoskeletal system in addtion to something called "osteopathic manipulative medicine" which allows us to treat some cases with our hands and use our hands to palpate the body for any abnormalities. The osteopathic main philosophy is also to look and treat the "whole person" and not just the disease or alleviate the symptoms.

Your daughter should do some research and see if osteopathic medicine fits her personality and views on healthcare.

Rob

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by johrisa
got accepted for the 7-year Pre-Medicine/Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Program at SUNY New Paltz/New York College of Osteopathic Medicine. [/B]

DO or MD, I wouldn't touch any of such program unless admission to the medical school is practically guaranteed or a scholarship is offered. In any circumstance, please make sure that you know whether the game is in a qualifying round or a play-off.

Of course, the program does fit someone's interest. Until that someone finds more challenging program such as the combined Engineering and MD program at Illinois Institute of Technology. Admission to medical school is guaranteed as long as you keep up the reasonable grade.

I got into this 7 year program a few years back but decided not to go for it because I wasn't sure whether or not I wanted to a doctor just yet. Unless you're absolutely sure that your daughter wants to be a DO and not an MD or anything else for that matter, it would be best for her to receive a normal undergrad experience. It really depends on what your daughter wants and what is best for her. I will be going to Columbia Med this upcoming fall so even if your daughter doesn't choose the 7 year program, it doesn't mean she won't get into med school.

Just my 2 cents.