Osteopathic neurosurgery hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by VentdependenT
Apply for either a categorical position (intern year linked to gas years) or a TY/prelim year AND an advanced (CA-1-3 years) position. I chose the latter.

wat are the pro's and cons of either..

why choose to do a prelim and CA years over the categorical position??

Members don't see this ad.

As an osteopath, the AOA requires you to do a 'transitional rotating intern year' in order to be licensed in 5 states (Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Michigan and two others). You can choose to do a 4 year anesthesiology program (which is probably better) but you run the risk of not getting AOA licensure in certain states. There is more to this story, but this is the basic gist.

Originally posted by giznut12
Actually, I heard it from our Dean. At any rate, two DO's that I know very well matched in allo residencies at Geisinger medical center in Danville,PA (one in orthopedics and one in DERM) WOW!!! And they only took the COMLEX.....imagine that. They must have been extremely lucky.

Dr. Mom....you are taught by the infamous Dr. Goljan. Am I correct? What does he recommend?

Not as suprising as you may think.

Geisinger is super-DO friendly.

U So. Cal. starting in 2005.

I met DOs at Allegheny General and Eastern Virginia programs. I only interviewed at 5 total. We are out there in training.

I think if I had taken the USMLE, it would have increased the number of interviews for me. Just my 2 cents.