Osteopathic vs. Caribbean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed. Lets re-live that moment, shall we?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUdB8gCMcXI[/YOUTUBE]

my point was that this is the trump card. This movie is everyones 3rd favorite drunk movie (top 2 varies tremendously). and that means something. Especially when this and "WELCOME TO EARTH" are the only two lines anyone ever remembers. It gets better every time i watch it.

This is *his* independence day.

Members don't see this ad.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlmoQTSoQYo[/YOUTUBE]

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Wannabe...

Do us all a favor..skip the d.o. route..you're not good enough for us! It's attitude's like yours that sour the d.o. rep, instead of strengthen it.

Do us Michigan Alumni a favor skip the the D.O. route yourself. It's attitudes like your that sour the D.O. reputation as well... Especially those who earn the letters that proceed their name from UofM and whichever medical school they went to.

Too bad they didn't teach you not to bump threads that are ten years old.

I honestly dont understand, I'm guessing thats sarcastic or an insult, was it to me or the guy above? And also who is "they"? BUT dont worry, i have now learned my lesson.:thumbup:

Humor aside, there is a nice post in the pre-osteo forum comparing the match rates of MD vs. DO vs. FMG. So for those here who are actually curious to how the DO's compare to their MD counterparts, check it out.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=813819

Also kudos to the independence day tag.

Tis epic indeed. Very indeed.

One thing to think about is if you ever want to work overseas. I was considering DO schools, but because "MD" is internationally recognized I chose the MD route to avoid any hassles later on.

One thing to think about is if you ever want to work overseas. I was considering DO schools, but because "MD" is internationally recognized I chose the MD route to avoid any hassles later on.

Caribbean MD's have less international practice rights than US DO's. 55 for DO's vs. 40 for SGU (assuming it represents the rest of the "Carribean").

EDIT:

Source:

http://www.sgu.edu/about-sgu/recognition-standardssom.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteopathic_physician#International_practice_rights

Last edited:

Recogniztion is not based on the letters "MD"...recognition is based on what school you went to. If you went to podunk medical school that gave out MD's to any willing participant, that doesnt mean it will be recognized.

I'm not actually talking about Carribean schools and I don't mean to insult anyone - but the facts are that in many countries it is harder to transfer a DO licence than an MD.

Caribbean MD's have less international practice rights than US DO's. 55 for DO's vs. 40 for SGU (assuming it represents the rest of the "Carribean").

EDIT:

Source:

http://www.sgu.edu/about-sgu/recognition-standardssom.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteopathic_physician#International_practice_rights

The listing on the SGU site is where graduates gained licensure and are presumably working as physicians - not the countries where SGU grads are allowed to practice!!!

I'm not actually talking about Carribean schools and I don't mean to insult anyone - but the facts are that in many countries it is harder to transfer a DO licence than an MD.

Can you tell me how many countries recognize the MSIH BG MD degree?

I'm not trying to be mean or antagonistic, believe me. But I find it rather ironic that if you attend the Ben Gurion School of Medicine in Israel, since it's styled as an American medical school, that as a graduate of the school, in order to practice in Israel - the country you studied in, you are treated as a foreign medical graduate, and must apply for reciprocity, take an exam, and do a one year internship. If I'm wrong about this, please correct me.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Actually we're not treated as foreign grads. The USMLEs can sub for the Israeli 6th year exams and you have to do a year of internship like everyone else. Quite alot of people from my school choose to stay. Of course you have to speak Hebrew which not everyone does fluently.

The difference between the msih-bgu "american" school and the regular israeli school is that msih is taught in english and is 4 years while the Israeli program is 6 years (they start after high school) and is in Hebrew. Our degrees are from the same university.

I'm not trying to be mean either! :) I respect any program that focuses on primary care and caring for the whole person. :)

Actually we're not treated as foreign grads. The USMLEs can sub for the Israeli 6th year exams and you have to do a year of internship like everyone else.

Excuse me, but the fact that they accept the USMLE versus 6th year Israeli exams de facto makes you a foreign grad to Israel, as would my osteopathic COMLEX exams and licensing.

The truth of the matter is that aside from the international medicine focus of the school, which is admirable, the BGU MSIH is geared for people who want to get a residency in the US, since it is an American-style program with the USMLE as it's markers of progress. It's affiliation with Columbia aside, it is not a LCME-accredited school, nor is it an Israeli-accredited 6 year program. It is specifically geared for the person returning to the US for residency.

Again, can you tell me where the BG MSIH MD degree is recognized 'universally'?

We're not considered foreign grads since our degree is from BGU. I'm not sure what you are asking when you say the 'universal acceptance' of the degree. You mean which countries recognize MDs?
All I'm trying to say is more countries accept MD degrees than DO which is still relatively unknown...why does this trouble you so much? Based on the wikipedia list you sent this includes France, Spain, Korea and many more. Hopefully this will change.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.healthsciences.okstate.edu%2Fcollege%2Fclinical%2Fcareer%2Fdocuments%2F2008%252004%2520International%2520Licensure%2520Summary.doc&ei=tfe2Td2xKsjGtAbx0PDRDQ&usg=AFQjCNHs0KPwqhLTaZAXsMoJg37zZiFI9w&sig2=ic1arAGBLIwuulkFiA2eTw

Last edited:
We're not considered foreign grads since our degree is from BGU. I'm not sure what you are asking when you say the 'universal acceptance' of the degree. You mean which countries recognize MDs?
All I'm trying to say is more countries accept MD degrees than DO which is still relatively unknown...why does this trouble you so much? Based on the wikipedia list you sent this includes France, Spain, Korea and many more. Hopefully this will change.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.healthsciences.okstate.edu%2Fcollege%2Fclinical%2Fcareer%2Fdocuments%2F2008%252004%2520International%2520Licensure%2520Summary.doc&ei=tfe2Td2xKsjGtAbx0PDRDQ&usg=AFQjCNHs0KPwqhLTaZAXsMoJg37zZiFI9w&sig2=ic1arAGBLIwuulkFiA2eTw

I didn't post any list - you might be confused with another poster.

This doesn't trouble me at all, since I studied and trained in the country I want to practice in.

What troubles me is this unsubstantiated belief that having an MD is more universally accepted. It might be, but to date, and I have asked this question to every person who touts the MD degree as a universally accepted medical degree, no one has been able to point to a document or site that lists the countries that accept the MD degree.

And when you drill down further, people don't differentiate between the Carib MD versus the USMD versus something like the hybrid Israeli MD which is neither a true Israeli MD and an American LCME MD.

There may be differences in reciprocity between the US, Carib, and Israeli US-style MD degree, but no one knows what they are - they just make a vague claim that it is somehow more accepted than the USDO. Where's the proof to back that claim? How did you get to believe that this was true? You're about to graduate from medical school and you take this claim as fact without independant verification?

This seems so odd since this was a supposed advantage to attending a foreign MD school over a US DO school, yet you cannot produce any information confirming that there is in fact, such an advantage in international practice or acceptance. In fact, a huge selling point for a school that styles itself as a training site for international medicine would not proudly list the countries that accept their degree. Why is that?\

Again, and finally, I am not attacking you personally or your school. My residency classmate went to Sackler and he's a smart guy, and we both got jobs no problem. But you need to stop repeating the line that your degree is universally or more recognized because you really have no idea where your degree is recognized.

I never said an MD degree (US or otherwise) is universally accepted only that it is more widely recognized than a DO.
I only brought this up in this thread because someone asked about DO vs Carribean MD - while I'm sure that most DO schools are far better than the majority of Carribean schools it's important to know where you want to practice as part of the decision making process - ie if your married to someone French and want to start working there with a DO degree it will be very difficult.

I never said an MD degree (US or otherwise) is universally accepted only that it is more widely recognized than a DO.
I only brought this up in this thread because someone asked about DO vs Carribean MD - while I'm sure that most DO schools are far better than the majority of Carribean schools it's important to know where you want to practice as part of the decision making process - ie if your married to someone French and want to start working there with a DO degree it will be very difficult.

This is what you wrote. "Internationally recognized" - what does that mean? Makes no mention of Carib MD, just MD. Can you clarify this? The US DO is recognized in 45+ countries. How many recognize the Ben Gurion MSIH medical degree? Do you even know?

MD or DO, you still have to go through many bureaucratic hoops and red tape to practice in other nations (unless you're with an international aid organization). One can't just set up shop wherever one pleases.

An MD degree from BGU is recognized anywhere that recognizes MD degrees - different countries will have different degrees of trouble you have to go through to be recognized. I realize that there is a lot of red tape and bureacracy involved with working abroad - but easier in many countries with an MD instead of DO. I like to keep my options open.

An MD degree from BGU is recognized anywhere that recognizes MD degrees - different countries will have different degrees of trouble you have to go through to be recognized. I realize that there is a lot of red tape and bureacracy involved with working abroad - but easier in many countries with an MD instead of DO. I like to keep my options open.

You like to keep saying that but you aren't really posting anything to back it up.

I'll give you an example of a country that recognizes Sackler, but not BGU - Singapore:

http://www.smc.gov.sg/html/1153709442948.html

the fault in your logic here is "anywhere that recognizes MD degrees." There is a big fault in most peoples logic as the MDs they know are either US or carib. You are from BGU and I can't personally speak of it, but I can speak on european MD degrees and african MD degrees (with one exception, I believe ghana).

They don't transfer over. Every country gives an MD degree that is *only* accepted in their own country. At least inherently. It is a country-by-country decision if they accept foreign doctors and nearly all of them don't. The reason why we get so confused with carib is because most of the countries have arranged *completely unique* deals with the US where their degree is accepted without strings attached. There is no european nation, and to my knowledge only one african nation, that has a similar deal with the US. They have to jump though many many hoops to come back to the US.

And the US isn't a particularly hard nation to practice in (its about average, from a restrictions POV. Its obviously incredibly hard from a 'need to get a residency' POV). Nations like Spain, France and Italy don't let any other nation's MDs practice in their country without some crazy additional training and testing.

MD degree is not a traveler's check, nor is it Visa or Mastercard. It is *not* "accepted everywhere" except within the country the degree is given in. BGU does *not* give an american degree and their degree is *not* accepted everywhere. What it does have is a respected degree, so that it can be allowed to jump through all the ridiculous hoops for qualification, rather than being outright denied as many other country's MD degrees might be. There is no degree that is more or less immune to jumping through the hoops, it is simply a matter of respect to be allowed near said hoops to begin with.

DO degrees have the same respect US MD degrees have internationally. The sticking point you tend to see if countries who either dont want to let any foreign degree in (affects all degrees) or who want DO's to get dual degreed and practice as "MDs" in their country, so as to not confuse the populace with why this DO can prescribe medicine (throughout most of europe DO's are chiropractors, in a very literal sense, as chiropractors have little visibility in europe and european DOs often have no prescription rights). Most DOs don't want to do that, even though its basically just a single additional test ontop of whatever the other hoops everyone jumps through is.

the fault in your logic here is "anywhere that recognizes MD degrees." There is a big fault in most peoples logic as the MDs they know are either US or carib. You are from BGU and I can't personally speak of it, but I can speak on european MD degrees and african MD degrees (with one exception, I believe ghana).

They don't transfer over. Every country gives an MD degree that is *only* accepted in their own country. At least inherently. It is a country-by-country decision if they accept foreign doctors and nearly all of them don't. The reason why we get so confused with carib is because most of the countries have arranged *completely unique* deals with the US where their degree is accepted without strings attached. There is no european nation, and to my knowledge only one african nation, that has a similar deal with the US. They have to jump though many many hoops to come back to the US.

And the US isn't a particularly hard nation to practice in (its about average, from a restrictions POV. Its obviously incredibly hard from a 'need to get a residency' POV). Nations like Spain, France and Italy don't let any other nation's MDs practice in their country without some crazy additional training and testing.

MD degree is not a traveler's check, nor is it Visa or Mastercard. It is *not* "accepted everywhere" except within the country the degree is given in. BGU does *not* give an american degree and their degree is *not* accepted everywhere. What it does have is a respected degree, so that it can be allowed to jump through all the ridiculous hoops for qualification, rather than being outright denied as many other country's MD degrees might be. There is no degree that is more or less immune to jumping through the hoops, it is simply a matter of respect to be allowed near said hoops to begin with.

DO degrees have the same respect US MD degrees have internationally. The sticking point you tend to see if countries who either dont want to let any foreign degree in (affects all degrees) or who want DO's to get dual degreed and practice as "MDs" in their country, so as to not confuse the populace with why this DO can prescribe medicine (throughout most of europe DO's are chiropractors, in a very literal sense, as chiropractors have little visibility in europe and european DOs often have no prescription rights). Most DOs don't want to do that, even though its basically just a single additional test ontop of whatever the other hoops everyone jumps through is.

Finally a reasonable response!!! I never claimed an MD was a ticket to anywhere just that all things being equal it MAY be slightly easier to work elsewhere than with a DO. Like the sig line...:p

... all things being equal it MAY be slightly easier to work elsewhere than with a DO. ...
No offense, but that seems like a pretty wishy-washy reason to go halfway around the world for an MD degree if you had the opportunity to stay in the US and get a DO degree. Especially with the really long list of countries that grant full practice rights to US trained DO's.

No offense, but that seems like a pretty wishy-washy reason to go halfway around the world for an MD degree if you had the opportunity to stay in the US and get a DO degree. Especially with the really long list of countries that grant full practice rights to US trained DO's.

Decisions have been made. Points are clear. Lets not drag this out and repeat it over and over for the sake of making him feel like his choice was wrong. He seems happy with it regardless of reason.

TL;DR: :beat:

Why is this thread still going on ? It's been literally 10 years since the original post.

Whether you are MD, DO, MD's from other countries... what actually matter is..

1. How successful is your practice
2. How much income
3. How is your family

I don't think those 2 letters matter much once you're an Attending.

Why is this thread still going on ? It's been literally 10 years since the original post.

Whether you are MD, DO, MD's from other countries... what actually matter is..

1. How successful is your practice
2. How much income
3. How is your family

I don't think those 2 letters matter much once you're an Attending.

Abso-****ing-lutely.

The end result is identical, regardless of what degree you have. I'd tack on how happy you are to those bullet points.

This debate continues to drag on because people overly fixate on labels and have a hard time thinking outside their constraints. It's got a different number or name, so it must be distinctly different, right? It's a natural response, but one that doesn't fit this discussion. Unless you change the letters, many will have trouble understanding that the two degrees are identical. Best to talk to them again in a few years, when we're all attendings and have identical complaints about dealing with insurance companies....

I wonder what happened to the OP. I'm sure he's a physician by now. Maybe he'll see this thread and post his views after going through the system.

I'm a DO because I wasn't accepted to an MD facility in the states. I did get into St. Georges though and the smart bet is DO over foreign everyday and twice on Sunday. Ignoring the obvious benefits of staying state side, DOs do very very well in the MD world. In my graduating class only about 25% are doing DO residencies. All of my close friends matched MD. The options you have as a DO are far greater than a foreign MD. The foreign guys match at smaller, community hospitals in general. They don't get as good of specialties and as good as programs as the DO that go MD. I know some people who went Caribbean because at they end of the day they're MD but scores are lower on USMLE for them against DOs. Anyway, mull that over.

Guys, I have a dilemma. Accepted to ONE US DO school, WVSOM. Accepted to St. George as well. I don't know what to do. I don't know if I could live in the WVSOM area...I felt extremely claustrophobic down there, and I really don't know if I will be happy. What would you all suggest? Any changes over the last few years in your mindsets?

Guys, I have a dilemma. Accepted to ONE US DO school, WVSOM. Accepted to St. George as well. I don't know what to do. I don't know if I could live in the WVSOM area...I felt extremely claustrophobic down there, and I really don't know if I will be happy. What would you all suggest? Any changes over the last few years in your mindsets?

And living in a 3rd world country... is better?

If you want to graduate and successfully match you should go to WVSOM.

Reactions: 2 users
This should not even be a 'contest'... Seriously!

Reactions: 2 users
This should not even be a 'contest'... Seriously!
I'm not sure why you guys are being snippy...I know Caribbean schools aren't considered great, but I know Caribbean grads who have done very well on their USMLE and gotten great residencies. I don't buy into the stereotype that Caribbean schools are bad. If you do well on your USMLE, no matter what school you go to, you'll be fine. This has been my experience. Many of my doctors are Caribbean grads, as well as a couple of extended family members and a lot of people who I know are in residency. This is a hard decision for me, even if it may not be for you, so I'd appreciate some support from people who may have constructive things to say.

And living in a 3rd world country... is better?

If you want to graduate and successfully match you should go to WVSOM.
Like I wrote in my last post, I don't think Caribbean schools are "bad," in terms of the fact that I know MANY doctors who have successfully graduated and gotten the residencies that they wanted. I'm not looking for a top specialty, I know what I want to do. It's not a 3rd world country, but I don't use that as a criteria because there is so little real civilization where WVSOM is located either.

Like I wrote in my last post, I don't think Caribbean schools are "bad," in terms of the fact that I know MANY doctors who have successfully graduated and gotten the residencies that they wanted. I'm not looking for a top specialty, I know what I want to do. It's not a 3rd world country, but I don't use that as a criteria because there is so little real civilization where WVSOM is located either.

Your opinion of carib medical schools and their quality is irrelevant. The drop out rate is enormous and likewise the failure to match is high and increasing. But go ahead and go to SGU.

Reactions: 1 users
@hopefulmedstudent28 I apologize if my post comes across as being snippy... To be honest, I am always amazed when people make these DO vs Caribbean MD threads... Basically, it comes down to this:

DO gives you 98%+chance to become a US physician for 300k...

SGU gives you 60-70% to be a US physician for 350k+....

You make the choice.... For me it's a no brainer.

I interviewed (got accepted as well) at WVSOM and I visited Grenada a while back... These two places are not comparable!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@hopefulmedstudent28 I apologize if my post comes across as being snippy... To be honest, I am always amazed when people make these DO vs Caribbean MD threads... Basically, it comes down to this:

I interviewed at WVSOM and I visited Grenada a a while back... They are not comparable!

That's a pretty generous number. I'm not sure if that is their placement rate, but I'd say starting from semester one, your chances are probably less than 50%.

I'd like to say that I want to practice medicine, and I am not asking this question to start a fight.
I honeslty need advise.
I feel whichever school i pick will make me an equally caring physician, but I want to know about residency and I'm worried about what my patients will say when I say that I'm a DO. I know that DO's are as smart/quick/sharp/etc, but I'm not sure if my patients will know that. If I go to a Caribbean school, they will never know where I went to school and I'll have a MD behind my name. Please help.
In terms of residency which option is better? I don't want to be limited once I decide which feild I want to go into. I appreciate your opinions, thanking you in advance.

you can slip one past your patients but you won't slip one past your colleagues.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm not sure why you guys are being snippy...I know Caribbean schools aren't considered great, but I know Caribbean grads who have done very well on their USMLE and gotten great residencies. I don't buy into the stereotype that Caribbean schools are bad. If you do well on your USMLE, no matter what school you go to, you'll be fine. This has been my experience. Many of my doctors are Caribbean grads, as well as a couple of extended family members and a lot of people who I know are in residency. This is a hard decision for me, even if it may not be for you, so I'd appreciate some support from people who may have constructive things to say.
People who matched from the Carib in the past were in an entirely different environment. 10 years ago, there were thousands less US MD and DO graduates. Things grow more and more grim each year for people that head to the islands, which tend to be both far more expensive, far less hospitable, far less supportive, and far less competitive that most DO schools. Things have been changing rapidly in undergraduate medical education, and the advice of those you know that went to the islands previously no longer applies. But they, having already completed the process and obtained a residency, no longer pay attention to what is happening to GME numbers and the number of US MD and DO graduates. Feel free to go wherever, but be aware that DO schools have far lower attrition rates and far higher overall placement rates than SGU.

That's a pretty generous number. I'm not sure if that is their placement rate, but I'd say starting from semester one, your chances are probably less than 50%.
They actually are in the 70%+ range of placement rate at SGU. But even if there's only a 20% chance you will walk away with a useless degree and 400k in debt that you can never discharge, it isn't worth it.

@W19
You know I like you, but I don't agree with your number. A majority of DO go to primary care. That is 98% to get 200k-ish. SGU have way lower graduation rate given their attrition rate and they are unlikely to match anything competitive. I give it about 20% to get a 200k+ job if you go to Caribbean. A DO with 400 on COMLEX will still be able to match somewhere rural FM. An IMG with 198 on USMLE won't match anywhere (will have to try for multiple times).

They actually are in the 70%+ range of placement rate at SGU. But even if there's only a 20% chance you will walk away with a useless degree and 400k in debt that you can never discharge, it isn't worth it.

The 70% match rate is probably for students who make it to the end with no red flag(s)... Why would someone risk 400k in that kind of adventure?

I saw what a friend of mine went thru after going to Carib. So I would tell anyone to do NP/PA/PharmD/DPM instead of going to the Caribbean...

The 70% match rate is probably for students who make it to the end with no red flag(s)... Why would someone risk 400k in that kind of adventure?

I saw what a friend of mine went thru after going to Carib. So I would tell anyone to do NP/PA/PharmD/DPM instead of going to the Caribbean...
I completely agree, but I'm just trying to be fair with the numbers. The Carib ruins enough lives for me to not recommend it, but the majority of SGU grads (not vast majority, but majority) end up with a residency in the US. They also have a fairly low attrition rate compared to the other Carib schools, with 90% of students completing the program (though some need an extra year or two).

Unfortunately there are people who don't look up the statistics or don't know reliable sources (then again that ECFMG/NRMP survey show some useless data on the foreign schools). That placement rate is most likely higher than 70%+ since other schools have stated their rates in the 80s. However, as mentioned before, the attrition rate is ridiculously high for most of these schools and it tanks the true percentage of people who really make it to residency.

WV is infested with toothless hillbillies and meth labs, on top of a chronic shortage of ocean front, which is a deal killer. Go to SGU. Don't get talked out of this one. Go.

I completely agree, but I'm just trying to be fair with the numbers. The Carib ruins enough lives for me to not recommend it, but the majority of SGU grads (not vast majority, but majority) end up with a residency in the US. They also have a fairly low attrition rate compared to the other Carib schools, with 90% of students completing the program (though some need an extra year or two).

This is true, SGU is actually on the lower end of attrition in comparison to others.

Your opinion of carib medical schools and their quality is irrelevant. The drop out rate is enormous and likewise the failure to match is high and increasing. But go ahead and go to SGU.
Lol you seem like a great person to be around. Thanks for the input.

I interviewed (got accepted as well) at WVSOM and I visited Grenada a while back... These two places are not comparable!
DM'd you. Thank you for your advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.