OSU-COM Class of 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Since no one has really commented, I'll throw my two cents in about spouses.

My hubby is going to be down in Tulsa that weekend, and I would like to include him.

What do you guys think? It's no big deal either way, but "include them" is my vote.

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to go, but we don't know our exact moving date yet. We're hoping for Aug. 1 or Aug. 2. If I'm there Aug. 3rd and able, I'll be there. Count me as a maybe -- hopefully a yes.

Yeap, I think Spouses ought to be included. They are going to be a big part of our medical school life anyways. Moreover, Upper class OSU-COM SDNers are also welcome. It would really be a pleasure to have them there.

What do you guys think.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please add your name if you will be able to attend so that I can warn the restaurant that we will be coming. :D

OSUCOM Class of 2006 SDNers Event
Saturday, August 3 @ 6pm
Meet at school and drive to Full Moon on Cherry St
spouses/significant others are invited

DrMom & hubby
Dr. MAXY
smashley
too-sweet-phat-cool 4-life
Undergrad & hubby
Fenrezz
MoJo-JoJo (maybe)

Full Moon is a casual restaurant with a menu of "American food." It's a good variety...they have salads, pasta, chicken, & I believe they also have burgers. They aren't expensive--you should be able to get an entre for $8-10 or less, depending on what you choose.

I aslo think b/f and g/f should be able to attend. It would be nice to meet them all.

Originally posted by Dr. MAXY
I aslo think b/f and g/f should be able to attend. It would be nice to meet them all.

That's why I added them to the "official" invitation.

Please add any spouse or significant other to your RSVP as needed.;)

OOOPS ...me neither. Cool.

Anyone object to me bringing someone even though it's not a spouse?

My brother is coming with me to Oklahoma to help me move, anyone mind if he comes with me? I'd feel a bit silly asking him to stay at the apartment while I go have dinner with some people after he traveled 1500 miles to help me move. :)

I certainly don't object. I say the more, the merrier!

Updating. My husband will have to go out of town that weekend. :(

Please add your name if you will be able to attend so that I can warn the restaurant that we will be coming. :D

Saturday, August 3 @ 6pm

DrMom
Dr. MAXY
smashley
Undergrad & hubby
Fenrezz & brother
MoJo-JoJo (maybe)

Full Moon is a casual restaurant with a menu of "American food." It's a good variety...they have salads, pasta, chicken, & I believe they also have burgers. They aren't expensive--you should be able to get an entre for $8-10 or less, depending on what you choose.

I havent posted in awhile but i'm planning on coming and will bring my wife along also. My wife and i are going to puerto vallarta (to do nothing but lay on the beach and drink some magaritas :cool: )the last week in july and we will get back on Aug 2nd, just in time to make it. It will be nice to get to meet some classsmates before class starts.

Members don't see this ad :)
So to update the list....

Saturday, August 3 @ 6pm

DrMom
Dr. MAXY
smashley
Undergrad & hubby
Fenrezz & brother
MoJo-JoJo (maybe)
Kirk002 & wife

Thanks for accommodating my dislike for Chimi's. :D You guys are the greatest.

Originally posted by kirk002
I havent posted in awhile but i'm planning on coming and will bring my wife along also. My wife and i are going to puerto vallarta (to do nothing but lay on the beach and drink some magaritas :cool: )the last week in july and we will get back on Aug 2nd, just in time to make it. It will be nice to get to meet some classsmates before class starts.

In honor of you, I'm going to sit by the pool in Tulsa and pretend that I'm in Puerto Vallarta...drinking my "margarita" (aka: diet pepsi).;)

Have a good time for me, okay? :D

Yea, kirk002 have a superb time in puerto vallarta.

Thanks everyone! I've been working for the past year at OSU-COM as a research tech. I have taken two weeks off before school starts just to relax and not do a thing!! Our vacation to Puerto Vallarta is both a vacation before school starts and our one year delayed honeymoon.

To everyone who is living at Westport, I started a new thread to identify us. Check it out!

To everyone who is currently living in Tulsa, what cell phone companies are good? I am thinking about only having a cell phone and no land line, so I would need a big package.

What do you guys think about just using a cell phone?

Undergrad,

My husband and I have used Sprint and US Cellular and been happy with both of them. Right now I think that Sprint has better plans than US Cellular (we both have Sprint right now). You can go to the Sprint PCS website and put in a Tulsa zip code to see what they have right now (I switched to them a couple of months ago and got a good plan and $100 towards a phone). Cingular also has some good plans, but they really want you to sign a 2 year contract...which I won't do. There also is Cricket which has unlimited minutes plans for a flat fee. The only problem with them is that you can only make/receive calls in Tulsa (calling area is very small).

I'd love to get rid of my land line but I need it for my DirecTV (& I'm still on dial up internet...not much longer, though...I hope). I think that you will be able to just use the cell...especially since you are so close to school and can use their computers/internet.

When do you move in?

Thanks, Dr. Mom. I'm moving my stuff August 2-3 (sometime in there), but I will probably go back "home" until school starts.

The problem I'm running into is that I need something that will take me into the Okla panhandle without charging me an arm and a leg for using a "different network". It's hard to find a good company since it's not a metro area.

I will look into the companies you've mentioned. Thanks!

Anyone else care to comment?

Then you may want Cingular because they offer plans with no roaming charges.

Originally posted by UnderGrad

The problem I'm running into is that I need something that will take me into the Okla panhandle without charging me an arm and a leg for using a "different network". It's hard to find a good company since it's not a metro area.

I think Sprint would be perfect then. But you might want to check for yourself.

From what I've read, Sprint is one of the companies that charges for using "other network providers". I'm afraid there is no sprint coverage out here. I could be mininterpreting what they're saying, but from what I gathered I would be racking up charges per minute when I was out here. Does anyone know if I'm reading this correctly?

Does anyone know anything about U.S. Cellular? That's what my mentor told me she uses.

Yes, Sprint will charge you to use the phone when you are back home. I may be wrong, but I don't think USCellular has service out there either...you can check on their website. Again, both have had good service in my experience.

I think your best bet is with Cingular Wireless. They advertise that they don't charge if you are out of your home area. They are the only one I've heard of that promotes this, so they may be your only option. I don't know if any of my friends use them, so I can't attest to their service.

Just to let you know... I got a plan with cingular today and if you go to their kiosk in Sam's Club (71st and Mingo, maybe the other locations too), then you only have to sign a one year contract. :)

Cool! Thanks for the info. The 2 year contract did have me a little nervous.

Okay, why is Discovery Channel spending the last two days airing shows about tornados a week before I move to Oklahoma? Tomorrow they're airing another show called Storm Warning about tornados. Are they trying to make me paranoid?? Those twisters look pretty scary. :eek: I see one of those things coming I'm hauling BOOTY in the other direction!

Attachments

• g-torn4.gif
    6.5 KB · Views: 168
I found a solution in the LOUNGE on how to post. I am loking forward to seeing yal on Aug 3. It will be cool to match faces to names. BTW, Congratulations to all new acceptees since july 2! I am seeking roomate for times I don't want to drive all the way home. Any ideas?

:clap: :clap:

Fenrezz,
My hubbie and I have yet to first-hand experience a twister. I've lived here 15 years and he's lived here over 40 years. Although, when I lived in Tulsa I did deal with the "strong winds, hail, sleet, heavy rain, power outtages, prop damage from fallen trees,." If you have things that you don't want hurt, i.e. car, RV, etc, get renter's insurance or coverage for those items for "acts of nature."

I did chase a storm chaser truck on the night of the 1999 tornadoes. I am grateful that I did not see anything except rain. I sadden when I watch the Weather Channel's show about that year's twister. It is very mellowing. My need to experience has gone down. (I want to experience the tornado sensorily, not deal with the real deal. I don't think it works that way. Too much pain and suffering. The survivors don't say, 'gee that was cool to feel my child/parent being sucked out of my arms.')

it has been too long since i posted. i need to get to some business at hand. see yal later.
sorry if i am too deep about this.

Hey guys and gals,
Put me down as maybe for aug 3rd. My roommate, who was on the waitlist, just was accepted to OSU-COM. He is really excited, but that means I will be moving his stuff to and it may take all day/night. If we get done in time both of us will be there.
Luke:clap: :clap: :clap:

Updating again. Anyone else???

Saturday, August 3 @ 6pm

DrMom
Dr. MAXY
smashley
too-sweet-phat-cool 4-life's roommate
Undergrad & hubby
Fenrezz & brother
MoJo-JoJo (maybe)
Kirk002 & wife
eveshands & hubby

Originally posted by Dr/\/\om
Updating again. Anyone else???

Saturday, August 3 @ 6pm

DrMom
Dr. MAXY
smashley
too-sweet-phat-cool 4-life (maybe if we get done moving in time)
too-sweet-phat-cool 4-life's roommate (same)
Undergrad & hubby
Fenrezz & brother
MoJo-JoJo (maybe)
Kirk002 & wife
eveshands & hubby

Originally posted by Fenrezz
Okay, why is Discovery Channel spending the last two days airing shows about tornados a week before I move to Oklahoma? Tomorrow they're airing another show called Storm Warning about tornados. Are they trying to make me paranoid?? Those twisters look pretty scary. :eek: I see one of those things coming I'm hauling BOOTY in the other direction!

Like eveshands, I haven't seen a tornado in the 20 years I have lived here, although I have seen funnels (that didn't reach the ground). The meterologists are good here and we usually get good forewarning on tornadoes. Make friends with your downstairs neighbor in the unlikely event you need to hang out there during a storm! :D

oops! I did see that, just didn't get it typed in.

Saturday, August 3 @ 6pm

DrMom
Dr. MAXY
smashley
too-sweet-phat-cool 4-life (maybe if we get done moving in time)
too-sweet-phat-cool 4-life's roommate (same)
Undergrad & hubby
Fenrezz & brother
MoJo-JoJo (maybe)
Kirk002 & wife
eveshands & hubby

too-sweet,

Your roomate is Michael, right? If he got in, that means nearly everyone from our interview group on March 29 got in, including Fenrezz. 6 outta 7 ain't bad! :D

How cool!

Tell Michael I said hi and congratulations. I sat right next to him during interview day.

You're right, Fenrezz--must have been good karma going around that day!

Wow! So nearly 10% of our class was interviewed on the same day?? I haven't been able to find out about most of the 8 who interviewed when I did, but I do know that one of them got in (she is a nun. very nice, but she will stand out in her habit! :D ;) )

Yes! It's unbelievable! And for all I know, the other girl who was interviewed got in, too. She was from Kansas, and I remember she was already accepted to AZCOM. I didn't really talk to her too much.

I am just floored at all of the people who got in on that day.

Well, it was Good Friday. . . .:D . . . . it was certainly good for me!

You'll be getting another packet from the school. Got mine today and it has info on orientation.

Here's the big picture:

Monday: start 9 am with a continental b-fast (no more b-fast until Saturday), MS1 orientation, pictures, dinner at 6 pm

Tuesday: start 9 am lab orientations, BLS, dinner at 6 pm

Wednesday: start 9 am computer training & health exams (?)...doesn't look like the whole day is scheduled for everyone, but may be wrong. No dinner.

Thursday: start 9 am, fin aid, computing resources, library resources, dinner at 6 pm

Friday: start 8 am or 1 pm for BLS lab (depends on your group), lunch at 11:45, 5:30 pm family picnic

Saturday: 9 am continental b-fast, 10:00 white coat (we are to wear *professional* attire), guided tours (I guess for family).

We are provided lunch each of the weekdays.

Wow, its getting close!!! :clap: :clap:

I am excited. I too received a packet on Thursday. Is anyone else having trouble sleeping?

What are you all wearing during the week of orientation?

Are there any other interviewees from March 28(Thursday)?

I am so excited that I cannot spell.:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :D :D

I'm so excited I just received my orientation packet too, and it looks like I'll most likely be able to meet with everyone for dinner on the 3rd. I still haven't had any contact with my second year mentor. Guess I better look her up so I can hopefully get a microscope. Have most of you already spoken with your second year mentors? One thing I didn't see is financial aid check disbursements. That's suppose to happen on the first day, right?

Speaking of the May 1999 tornadoes - one of the 2nd year students was a paramedic at the time for EMSA in OKC. He is featured prominently in the Discovery Channel's coverage of the twister. Steve was the paramedic located in the school gym at Bridge Creek by himself with no radio or telephone communications, and no way to call for assistance.:(

Cool! I remember seeing him on the program.

We may have another person joining us for our get-together if that's alright. One of the girls that interviewed on the same day I did and was accepted is going to be in Tulsa that weekend, so I told her to register on SDN and start posting!

I haven't been able to find out about most of the 8 who interviewed when I did, but I do know that one of them got in (she is a nun. very nice, but she will stand out in her habit! :D ;) )

I'm so disappointed. I found out today that the nun is going to another school! Not sure what happened as OSU was her 1st choice when I talked to her.

I'm so disappointed. I found out today that the nun is going to another school! Not sure what happened as OSU was her 1st choice when I talked to her.

Wonder if her turning down her seat opened up my seat on the waiting list. Guess I better go to church next Sunday! :D

Yea, I have recieved the package as well, and I also saw our class schedule for the fall. The schedule was not too bad.