Program-Specific Info / Q's OT Cycle 2019-2020: ECU, VCU, WSSU, MUSC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ecu2019

Reaction score
I'm starting a thread because I will be applying to OT schools this fall. I was hoping to receive advice from students who have gotten into these schools, their application experience, and perhaps their stats to compare to mine. I would like all the feedback that I can get because I'm scared sh*tless about applying to OT school. Please help a girl out!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I am going to be applying to OT schools this Fall too and VCU is one of my options. I feel like I am kind of going in blind so thanks for making this thread. As someone who isn't a resident of Virginia, one of my main concerns is tuition.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey! I am going to be applying to OT schools this Fall too and VCU is one of my options. I feel like I am kind of going in blind so thanks for making this thread. As someone who isn't a resident of Virginia, one of my main concerns is tuition.

I'm out of state too! Honestly same about going in this blindly. I'm trying to get my shadowing hours in this semester and hoping I have enough to make me competitive!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm out of state too! Honestly same about going in this blindly. I'm trying to get my shadowing hours in this semester and hoping I have enough to make me competitive!

Same here! I’m getting shadowing hours now since I decided on OT last Fall and wasn’t entirely aware I’d be graduating in 2019 until I met with my advisor a few months ago, but I feel like some people have been racking up those hours for years. Are you applying to any other out-of-state programs?

Same here! I’m getting shadowing hours now since I decided on OT last Fall and wasn’t entirely aware I’d be graduating in 2019 until I met with my advisor a few months ago, but I feel like some people have been racking up those hours for years. Are you applying to any other out-of-state programs?

Right now, VCU and then maybe MUSC are the only out of state ones I'm applying to! Also, I wasn't aware I would be graduating in 2019 until a few months ago as well! I figured I would have this entire year to get shadowing in, but instead only a few months. I've heard that having around 30 to 40 hours is generally enough shadowing to know that you want to go into that field. I'm trying to get at least 50 hours in and do a variety of settings! I'm also taking the GRE this August so hopefully I score well!

Right now, VCU and then maybe MUSC are the only out of state ones I'm applying to! Also, I wasn't aware I would be graduating in 2019 until a few months ago as well! I figured I would have this entire year to get shadowing in, but instead only a few months. I've heard that having around 30 to 40 hours is generally enough shadowing to know that you want to go into that field. I'm trying to get at least 50 hours in and do a variety of settings! I'm also taking the GRE this August so hopefully I score well!

I’m taking it in late September! Have you thought about applying at FIU?

I just got accepted to VCU OTD for the 2023 cohort! Has anyone else been accepted yet?

I'm starting a thread because I will be applying to OT schools this fall. I was hoping to receive advice from students who have gotten into these schools, their application experience, and perhaps their stats to compare to mine. I would like all the feedback that I can get because I'm scared sh*tless about applying to OT school. Please help a girl out!!!

I just got into VCU OTD! Has anyone else heard back?

Reactions: 2 users
I just got accepted to VCU OTD for the 2023 cohort! Has anyone else been accepted yet?
CONGRATS! I applied to VCU also and am waiting to hear back... :xf:

Good luck to you all and congrats on getting the applications in!

Reactions: 1 user
I got an email from VCU yesterday saying my app has been marked for review. Anyone else heard anything?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email from VCU yesterday saying my app has been marked for review. Anyone else heard anything?

I also got an email on Dec. 11th saying my application was marked for review! Good luck!!

Congrats on your acceptance! I am still waiting to hear back. Can I ask what your credentials are?

I just got my acceptance letter yesterday to VCU! I’m now just waiting to hear back ECU.

I just got my acceptance letter yesterday to VCU! I’m now just waiting to hear back ECU.
CONGRATULATIONS!! That's a huge deal!!!!!
It came in the form of a letter, not an email? (just curious which inbox I should be checking compulsively).

I just got an acceptance letter to VCU today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Still waiting on ECU as well :)

I just got an acceptance as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UNBELIEVABLE.
I will be accepting the offer. I currently live in Richmond and VCU is my top choice.

Congrats you all, and maybe see you in the future :).

I just got an acceptance as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UNBELIEVABLE.
I will be accepting the offer. I currently live in Richmond and VCU is my top choice.

Congrats you all, and maybe see you in the future :).

Congratulations!!!!!!!!! I am still in shock from my acceptance :)

VCU OTD 2023 WOOOOO! Also just got the email so excited to tour and see Richmond for the first time!

Congrats everyone!! Do you mind listing your credentials??

Sure!
Major: Human Development with minor in psychology
GPA: 3.67
Pre req GPA: 3.9
GRE: Verbal 160 Quantitative 154 AW 6
OT shadowing: 110 hours, some are pediatric outpatient, multiple nursing homes, and the majority from an outpatient rehab clinic in jersey specializing in neurorehab
Other healthcare Experience: EMT volunteering & chiropractic assistant, between the two, about 2000 hours
Extracurricularly about 250 hours volunteering with my service fraternity

Sure!
OT shadowing: 110 hours, some are pediatric outpatient, multiple nursing homes, and the majority from an outpatient rehab clinic in jersey specializing in neurorehab
Other healthcare Experience: EMT volunteering & chiropractic assistant, between the two, about 2000 hours

Two thumbs up for that AW score! Holy cow! Very impressive :)

Sure!
Omg! 6 on analytical writing?!? How did you do it? Lol

Do you think ECU will send out their response before VCU’s deposit deadline at the end of the month?

I’m honestly not sure! I know they just had their last round of interviews on Thursday, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they let us know by like next week or the week after. They’ve seemed to be pretty prompt with their whole process.

Congratulations to everyone that got accepted! That's amazing!! Was Friday the last round of acceptances VCU sent out? Do you guys mind sharing when you applied? Thank you!

I submitted my application at the end of November for their normal admissions that closed December 1st.

Congratulations to everyone that got accepted! That's amazing!! Was Friday the last round of acceptances VCU sent out? Do you guys mind sharing when you applied? Thank you!
I submitted mine towards the end of November for regular admissions.

I submitted mine literally the day before the deadline. I think this is one of the first acceptances rounds since the normal deadline at least based off their timeline on their website

I’m honestly not sure! I know they just had their last round of interviews on Thursday, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they let us know by like next week or the week after. They’ve seemed to be pretty prompt with their whole process.
What are your plans if you don't hear from ECU before the VCU deadline? I'm in the middle of contemplating what to do

What are your plans if you don't hear from ECU before the VCU deadline? I'm in the middle of contemplating what to do

Honestly I'm not sure... I've only heard great things about VCU's program so I think I'd be happy there, but it's hard since I really liked everyone at ECU and the program there! I'll probably end up accepted VCU's offer.

I think I’m gonna accept the offer too. My friends in med school said that it’s best to accept the offer and pay the seat deposit. Then, if another offer is given by a school and you like it better. Then you’re only out that money from the seat deposit. and obviously if you don’t get another offer then you’re still going to school. Apparently, that happens a lot and that’s why they have waitlists.

Yes, that's true! I still might wait until the last day to accept though, just in case :eek:

Has anyone applied and heard/interviewed with Wingate? I have an interview February 24th! Also wondering if anyone knows when we should hear from Winston Salem

Has anyone applied and heard/interviewed with Wingate? I have an interview February 24th! Also wondering if anyone knows when we should hear from Winston Salem
I got my acceptance back in November ! If you have any questions about the interview or program, I'll try my best to answer

Has anyone else heard anything else from VCU ?

Has anyone else heard anything else from VCU ?
Haven’t heard anything since 12/14 that my application has been assigned for review, and I applied 11/29. I’m really hoping to hear by the end of the month.

Haven’t heard anything since 12/14 that my application has been assigned for review, and I applied 11/29. I’m really hoping to hear by the end of the month.
I'm pretty sure that today was the last day for the first round to secure their seats so hopefully we'll hear something within the next week or two !

I'm pretty sure that today was the last day for the first round to secure their seats so hopefully we'll hear something within the next week or two !
That’s great! I hope so

I got my acceptance back in November ! If you have any questions about the interview or program, I'll try my best to answer
Congrats!!! Do you know if you’re gonna go there? I know it’s a new program but was wondering how the interview day was. How long was the actual interview and if it was Kind of like a panel of interviewers. I know it’s not a group interview but I’m hoping the interview was pretty laid back! Do you get to meet other students and talk with them? And if you know how many people they actually interview. This would be one of my top choices so I’m nervous about this one! Thanks for your help :)

Congrats!!! Do you know if you’re gonna go there? I know it’s a new program but was wondering how the interview day was. How long was the actual interview and if it was Kind of like a panel of interviewers. I know it’s not a group interview but I’m hoping the interview was pretty laid back! Do you get to meet other students and talk with them? And if you know how many people they actually interview. This would be one of my top choices so I’m nervous about this one! Thanks for your help :)
VCU is my number school so if I do get accepted there, I will give up my seat at Wingate. I loved it for the most part ! The professor and other OT students were super nice! The interview day was super relaxed. I want to say it went from 9-2:30ish. They'll start off by explaining the program, each professor will introduce themselves, then you'll get a tour of the department. Your interview I'll be roughly 30 minutes with one professor. Lastly, you'll be given a hour or two to write an essay. That's the part I was most nervous about. The prompt was super relaxed and wasn't GRE style at all! Just be yourself and you'll do great ! When I interviewed, there were 20 people and they'll sent out acceptances to the top 5 shortly after the interview. If you don't get accepted right away, don't worry ! They mentioned that they'll usually go through the entire wait list and accept students up to the first day of classes. You'll have a great chance.

VCU is my number school so if I do get accepted there, I will give up my seat at Wingate. I loved it for the most part ! The professor and other OT students were super nice! The interview day was super relaxed. I want to say it went from 9-2:30ish. They'll start off by explaining the program, each professor will introduce themselves, then you'll get a tour of the department. Your interview I'll be roughly 30 minutes with one professor. Lastly, you'll be given a hour or two to write an essay. That's the part I was most nervous about. The prompt was super relaxed and wasn't GRE style at all! Just be yourself and you'll do great ! When I interviewed, there were 20 people and they'll sent out acceptances to the top 5 shortly after the interview. If you don't get accepted right away, don't worry ! They mentioned that they'll usually go through the entire wait list and accept students up to the first day of classes. You'll have a great chance.

Wow thank you so much for this info! This was so helpful! Good luck on VCU!!