Program-Specific Info / Q's OT Cycle 2019-2020: ECU, VCU, WSSU, MUSC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow thank you so much for this info! This was so helpful! Good luck on VCU!!
Good luck to you also !

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is anybody planning to accept their VCU offer but then ask to reject it if they end up being accepted into ECU?

I just got accepted into VCU !

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any information on when VCU may send out the next round of acceptances or a general update for those who haven't heard back yet?
I was told that the next round of acceptances would be sent out in 3 weeks, but I just saw someone post that they got their acceptance today? So im also confused

I think I’m gonna accept the offer too. My friends in med school said that it’s best to accept the offer and pay the seat deposit. Then, if another offer is given by a school and you like it better. Then you’re only out that money from the seat deposit. and obviously if you don’t get another offer then you’re still going to school. Apparently, that happens a lot and that’s why they have waitlists.

I just got an email with my acceptance to ECU!

No way! I just got an acceptance email from ECU too! Are you going to end up picking ECU?

Congrats!!! I have absolutely no idea yet, I'm torn right now. VCU has a great program and I've only heard good things about it, but I really like ECU. So for now I think I'm gonna make a pros and cons list for each hahaha. Are you still planning on withdrawing your acceptance to VCU?

Congrats!!! I have absolutely no idea yet, I'm torn right now. VCU has a great program and I've only heard good things about it, but I really like ECU. So for now I think I'm gonna make a pros and cons list for each hahaha. Are you still planning on withdrawing your acceptance to VCU?

Hey! Can I ask what your stats are? I was denied to ecu. I know it’s hard to tell from only stats but i would like to know where I’m lacking just for reference. Thanks :)

No way! I just got an acceptance email from ECU too! Are you going to end up picking ECU?
Just got my acceptance to ECU today too and am going to accept and pull my other applications/ seats!

Reactions: 1 users
I’m pretty positive I will because ECU is so much cheaper than VCU for me. Since I would be out of state at VCU rather than instate at ECU. It really depends on how much debt I want because I really liked VCU, but I don’t want to be in debt for the next 10 to 20 years.

Yeahhhh ECU's in state tuition is so nice!!! Do you mind sharing more about your thoughts on VCU/what you like about them?? I'm struggling to decide between the two partly because of the differences between the MSOT and the OTD...

Hey! Can I ask what your stats are? I was denied to ecu. I know it’s hard to tell from only stats but i would like to know where I’m lacking just for reference. Thanks :)

Hey!! Pretty sure my experience and interview helped me a lot in the admissions process. I was president for 1 year and secretary for 1 year of my sorority, and have 2+ years experience working full-time at a PT/OT outpatient clinic. I shadowed OTs in an inpatient hospital setting and an OT at a neuro-based outpatient clinic. I got references from my A&P professor/department head and an OT from work.
Undergrad GPA ~3.2
Pre-req GPA ~3.8
Best of luck to you!! :)

Yeahhhh ECU's in state tuition is so nice!!! Do you mind sharing more about your thoughts on VCU/what you like about them?? I'm struggling to decide between the two partly because of the differences between the MSOT and the OTD...

Hey, were you able to make it to one of the information sessions for VCU?
If not, I am happy to share more of what I know about their program and the qualities that attracted me to it.

Also I found talking to Alumni to be super helpful for determining a program. They typically will give you some very honest feedback about how prepared they felt going into their profession, what the program was like, the strengths and weaknesses etc.

Regardless, congrats!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, were you able to make it to one of the information sessions for VCU?
If not, I am happy to share more of what I know about their program and the qualities that attracted me to it.

Also I found talking to Alumni to be super helpful for determining a program. They typically will give you some very honest feedback about how prepared they felt going into their profession, what the program was like, the strengths and weaknesses etc.

Regardless, congrats!!!

Hi!! I would love to hear your thoughts on the program, thank you so much! I actually attended one of their info sessions for admitted students, but I still feel like I don't know a lot about the program and faculty. I talked to one of my friends who is currently in the program, but I don't know of any alumni.

Hey!! Pretty sure my experience and interview helped me a lot in the admissions process. I was president for 1 year and secretary for 1 year of my sorority, and have 2+ years experience working full-time at a PT/OT outpatient clinic. I shadowed OTs in an inpatient hospital setting and an OT at a neuro-based outpatient clinic. I got references from my A&P professor/department head and an OT from work.
Undergrad GPA ~3.2
Pre-req GPA ~3.8
Best of luck to you!! :)

I gotcha! Thanks and congrats on getting in there!!

Has anyone else who interviewed at MUSC received an email about how to apply for financial aid? I received one today and am super confused about whether they sent this to everyone who interviewed or only people who were accepted? This is the only communication I’ve gotten since the interview so any input would be greatly appreciated!

Honestly, I liked VCU because of the Richmond area and the diversity. The program seemed to be really involved in the community, but of course that comes with being in a major city and being an established older program. I really liked their doctoral projects they are performing and the larger class size (50 students vs 26). I know some students complain about traffic, costs, parking availbility, and safety. However, the OTs I shadowed highly recommended to go the MSOT route vs OTD because it's shorter and cheaper. Also, OTs will be paid the same with either degree because they are both entry-level degrees. In all honesty, I'm going to end up attending ECU due to finances because at VCU's info session their estimated costs for out-of-state students ranged from the 100,000s to the 200,000s. Even though I really liked VCU and the surrounding area.

Honestly, I liked VCU because of the Richmond area and the diversity. The program seemed to be really involved in the community, but of course that comes with being in a major city and being an established older program. I really liked their doctoral projects they are performing and the larger class size (50 students vs 26). I know some students complain about traffic, costs, parking availbility, and safety. However, the OTs I shadowed highly recommended to go the MSOT route vs OTD because it's shorter and cheaper. Also, OTs will be paid the same with either degree because they are both entry-level degrees. In all honesty, I'm going to end up attending ECU due to finances because at VCU's info session their estimated costs for out-of-state students ranged from the 100,000s to the 200,000s. Even though I really liked VCU and the surrounding area.

Thank you so so much! I've decided to stick with VCU and decline my offer to ECU. Good luck with everything, I know ECU has a great program and you will be amazing!!

Has anyone else who interviewed at MUSC received an email about how to apply for financial aid? I received one today and am super confused about whether they sent this to everyone who interviewed or only people who were accepted? This is the only communication I’ve gotten since the interview so any input would be greatly appreciated!

Hey I got the financial aid email as well! But I haven't heard back about acceptance.

Hey all! I just heard back today from WSSU with an acceptance! Has anyone else heard back yet?!

Congrats! I’m still waiting to hear back from them! I’m so anxious! Are you going to attend?
I bet you will hear back very soon :) Best of luck!! Yes, I will be attending!

I hope so! When did you send in your application or when was it verified by OTCAS?
I submitted my application the day before Thanksgiving and I was verified the following day! Which I was surprised about because I thought it would take a few weeks...

I submitted my application the day before Thanksgiving and I was verified the following day! Which I was surprised about because I thought it would take a few weeks...

Yeah I submitted mine I think December 1st and it was verified like not even a week later, so I was also surprised because people were telling me it would take about a month! I guess it might depend what time of the year you submit. Anyways, congrats again, maybe we’ll be in the same cohort! :)

I received an email today that I was waitlisted at WSSU, I’m so nervous. Has anybody else heard back?

I received an email today that I was waitlisted at WSSU, I’m so nervous. Has anybody else heard back?

I also heard back today that I’m waitlisted. I wish they would give out some kind of information at least on how many people they have waitlisted. I have a huge deposit due for another school the beginning of March so Im hoping to hear from them before that, but who knows.

Does anyone know how long those that were given acceptance to WSSU have to turn in their deposit?

When I called WSSU they told me they had 10 days!

Were you also waitlisted? When they called did they give you anymore information? Im dying to hear back about being taken off their waitlist haha

Were you also waitlisted? When they called did they give you anymore information? Im dying to hear back about being taken off their waitlist haha
Yeah I was waitlisted as well! I actually called before I found out I was waitlisted so I unfortunately don’t know anything about how their doing the waitlist I wish I knew!

I reached out to VCU and they told me their class is currently full. They personally told me that I am 4th on the next list of acceptances if anyone were to drop per say.

I reached out to VCU and they told me their class is currently full. They personally told me that I am 4th on the next list of acceptances if anyone were to drop per say.
They told your place on the waitlist?? I don't understand why they don't communicate their waitlist decisions. I can't believe it's already full; VCU was my number 1 as it was the only school I applied to.

I just got an email that I was taken off the waitlist at WSSU and offered a seat!!

Did you reach out to them through a phone call or email? Thanks for responding!
I emailed them and they informed me I’m 7th in line to receive an offer if people drop. I was told two people dropped today alone.

Any chance you can post when you hear? We can count down the list based off of each other!

Any chance you can post when you hear? We can count down the list based off of each other!
That was all I received from them. They told me they could re-let me know in a couple of weeks to know for sure.

I emailed them and they informed me I’m 7th in line to receive an offer if people drop. I was told two people dropped today alone.
On Thursday they told me I am 4th in line. Do you think since they told you 2 people dropped Friday that means I am now 2nd?

Did anyone else receive an email from VCU admissions? I’m assuming this doesn’t change anything we already knew about the class being full and our positions on the waitlist.
IMG_1589.png