-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
OT: Fitness
Started by Dsmoody23
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I love going to the campus gym and lifting, except that the best time for me is evenings and that's when the broheims do their dumbbell curls in the squat racks and it fills me with irrational rage.
![]()
Bros ruin everything!
Hahaha they just take up all the benches sitting around watching the other bros here.I love going to the campus gym and lifting, except that the best time for me is evenings and that's when the broheims do their dumbbell curls in the squat racks and it fills me with irrational rage.
![]()
What bothers me more are the multitudes of tiny blonde women (no offense to small peeps or blonds meant, these are a specific breed of UCSB barbie doll) on the elliptical trainers in the weight room. They could be in the main cardio area but they'd rather be in the weight room shaking their booty in front of the bros.
Do we all go to the university gyms?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hahaha they just take up all the benches sitting around watching the other bros here.
What bothers me more are the multitudes of tiny blonde women (no offense to small peeps or blonds meant, these are a specific breed of UCSB barbie doll) on the elliptical trainers in the weight room. They could be in the main cardio area but they'd rather be in the weight room shaking their booty in front of the bros.
Do we all go to the university gyms?
HAHAHAHAHAHA. that used to be me. I went to USC and am a blonde, tiny, and in a sorority. But a) I went during gossip girl bc every sorority girl would watch that at home and b) all the bros had their chapter meetings, so more ellipticals for me!
But yes I hated all the other blondes
Edit: oh yeah, I also look like Barbie apparently (ive been called Barbie Vet on numerous occasions.) And when it's summer I get really tan bc I work by the beach. But i swear im intelligent! Sorry fromthebox 🙂
Last edited:
Hahaha they just take up all the benches sitting around watching the other bros here.
What bothers me more are the multitudes of tiny blonde women (no offense to small peeps or blonds meant, these are a specific breed of UCSB barbie doll) on the elliptical trainers in the weight room. They could be in the main cardio area but they'd rather be in the weight room shaking their booty in front of the bros.
Do we all go to the university gyms?
heehee hee I stopped frequenting the school gym and started hiking the hills around campus. People asked if I worked out
Maybe I'll run around outside tomorrow....or DANCEEGo TEAM SDN! YAY!
Can anyone give me any advice about gym membership? There is a groupon in my area for 3 months for $19, but I have never been to a gym, and I'm a lazy person. Has anyone found that paying for belonging to a gym motivated them?
Nope. I went home for a summer and bought a 2 month gym membership. After buying the membership my partner bailed. I believe I went like 2 times the last month of the summer. I had to push myself to stay there when I went because I was so bored.
I have a gym partner now, which will hopefully keep me motivated. Also, there are tvs hooked up to the cardio machines at this gym! I think I am going to bring my e-reader next time I work out by myself. I saw a few people with books. Seems like a good idea.
think I am going to bring my e-reader next time I work out by myself.
I always bring my e-reader (Kindle for me!) when I'm doing elliptical/bike. Makes the time go by so much faster!
Now that I think about it, if it is only $19 for the first three months, TRY IT!
I paid $72 for the first month and it will be $32 each additional month. I am $60 000 in debt. I am making this work!
I am going to bring my e-reader next time I go alone. I don't do nearly enough reading.
I paid $72 for the first month and it will be $32 each additional month. I am $60 000 in debt. I am making this work!
I am going to bring my e-reader next time I go alone. I don't do nearly enough reading.
$19 for 3 months isn't bad at all. I pay $90 for a punch card of 10 classes at my CrossFit gym. Lasts me like 2 weeks...maybe. It's expensive but I love it, so I find it worth it. I might add a gym membership on that cost $25 a month for people between 21-25 yr old ( include social events and pick up games and I think classes) since my punch cards don't expire and that way I can make them last a little longer.
My school just built a new fitness facility and it is AMAZING! The old gym was absolutely awful, with at least half the machines broken at any given time, the rubber peeling off of the weight machine handles, and rusty ass free weights. I am thrilled to run on a treadmill that doesn't periodically just stop because it can't sense the safety magnet anymore.
I'm the farthest thing from a Barbie, but I find that the best way to get brosephs out of your way is to claim a bench and start lifting free weights. If you have to, make eye contact and grunt a bit. I know it sounds crazy, but I actually challenge myself to make those around me more uncomfortable than they've made me.
I'm the farthest thing from a Barbie, but I find that the best way to get brosephs out of your way is to claim a bench and start lifting free weights. If you have to, make eye contact and grunt a bit. I know it sounds crazy, but I actually challenge myself to make those around me more uncomfortable than they've made me.
I generally rely on my immense body odor and strange unintentional noises and flailing to clear the area around me of brosephs.
I hate the brosephs. I hope they don't think they are impressing anyone with their roided out frames and protein shakes.
I hate the brosephs. I hope they don't think they are impressing anyone with their roided out frames and protein shakes.
Ugh. My boyfriend is always drinking protein shakes.
I totes respect his muscley body, but it's just SO douchey when he's like "OH YEAH PROTEIN SHAKE." Can't you quietly consume your protein in animal form?
It's not like he eats vegetables or anything, so I'm not sure why he thinks he is lacking in digestible protein.
I'm the farthest thing from a Barbie, but I find that the best way to get brosephs out of your way is to claim a bench and start lifting free weights. If you have to, make eye contact and grunt a bit. I know it sounds crazy, but I actually challenge myself to make those around me more uncomfortable than they've made me.
They usually try to talk to me anyway and it's usually something *****ic about how they never see girls doing the weights and good for me. Condescending as hell.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just joined you guys this morning.
I thought that by working out at 9 pm (when I got off of work today), I wouldn't have to compete for machines at the apartment gym - apparently not so.
I had a pretty good first work out - hope to do more tomorrow. And sad that bowling isn't on fitocracy (actually does a fair amount of cardio).
I thought that by working out at 9 pm (when I got off of work today), I wouldn't have to compete for machines at the apartment gym - apparently not so.
I had a pretty good first work out - hope to do more tomorrow. And sad that bowling isn't on fitocracy (actually does a fair amount of cardio).
Ugh gym crowding was worse today. Didn't help that I had a short fuse after crazy stuff at work. Brosephs (who never talk to me, just about me. Sometimes even in other languages, if only they knew how douchey they sound in German.) we're hogging all the benches, didn't re-rack anything either. Ended up squatting with the set-weight barbells over by the stretching mats. Worst offender was a guy who walked away from the incline press, I walked up, he says "sorry, not done I've got 3 sets.." me: 'Kay. Then he proceeds to plank next to the machine. Wait, why can't I rotate in on your 55lb press while you plank in an inappropriate area?
On the other hand, yay level 6!
On the other hand, yay level 6!
I hate the brosephs. I hope they don't think they are impressing anyone with their roided out frames and protein shakes.
The best antidote I've found for those dudes is:
Stand about 30 ft away with your arms crossed, shaking your head at them and smirking. When they lift and grunt, look at them the way a dog does when it's confused.
It's just enough to make them thoroughly self-conscious, yet not quite enough to get you beat up.
Hahaha. I might have to try that.The best antidote I've found for those dudes is:
Stand about 30 ft away with your arms crossed, shaking your head at them and smirking. When they lift and grunt, look at them the way a dog does when it's confused.
It's just enough to make them thoroughly self-conscious, yet not quite enough to get you beat up.

After having to sit through 8 hours of LECTURE today I was totally dragging ass for the first hour of the skills and drills hockey session but caught a first wind later (can't really say second..) and went 1.5x speed for the last half hour.
Studying on the cardio machines works pretty well too. Not so much for real in-depth understanding, but nice for reviewing lecture notes or looking at diagrams.
I learned most of my conceptual physics stuff on the rowing machine.
Yeah, I loved when all of my stuff would fall off the machines. Sigh
After my cacophony of racket, people with their earbuds in would all whip their heads in my direction. Like we were in a library. Goshhhh 😛Ugh. My boyfriend is always drinking protein shakes.
I totes respect his muscley body, but it's just SO douchey when he's like "OH YEAH PROTEIN SHAKE." Can't you quietly consume your protein in animal form?
It's not like he eats vegetables or anything, so I'm not sure why he thinks he is lacking in digestible protein.
I don't know why, maybe it has just been that kind of day, but this literally had me falling off my chair laughing. Especially the veggie part - that's where I lost it.
Someone on SDN (was it you Dsmoody?) recommended Studyblue a while back and I downloaded it onto my phone so a lot of times I will do flash cards on my phone while doing cardio at the gym.
OH YEAH PROTEIN SHAKE!!
Excited to try out my new running shoes tonight! My old pair were like two years old with no arch support anymore, which is important because I overpronate and end up with shin splints a lot of the time. They were probably due to be retired 1.5 years ago. Yay to being poor.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It totally tracks fencing! I'm doing some tonight and I have a meet on saturday.I would consider joining if activities that rewarded points included sword-fighting, standing in one place for hours at a time, and walking to and from class....uphill both ways. 😛
Same here, got new Saucony shoes on sale at Ross (kinda shady but shoes feel good) about to head out on my first run/walk in them. I underpronate so I need good shoes to save my toes.Excited to try out my new running shoes tonight! My old pair were like two years old with no arch support anymore, which is important because I overpronate and end up with shin splints a lot of the time. They were probably due to be retired 1.5 years ago. Yay to being poor.
Good to know I'm dead last!!!! Guess I'll be doing one of these challenges tonight.
Was not expecting that. 😛 I'm a foilest.It totally tracks fencing! I'm doing some tonight and I have a meet on saturday.
Last edited:
Foil and schlager here. 😀Was not expecting to that. 😛 I'm a foilest.
On a different note: new shoes are the bomb!
This thread is SO not for me. But Lissa was right - it's amusing. Lots of chest-thumping going on in here.
On a different note: new shoes are the bomb!
Seriously. I felt so light and agile and wanted to keep going. If it wasn't raining I would have considered a nightly run since I bought a new long sleeve shirt that came with a little clip on flash light to prevent me from getting hit by a car or something.
The best antidote I've found for those dudes is:
Stand about 30 ft away with your arms crossed, shaking your head at them and smirking. When they lift and grunt, look at them the way a dog does when it's confused.
It's just enough to make them thoroughly self-conscious, yet not quite enough to get you beat up.
I think this might work better for a guy. I feel like if I stood there shaking my head at people they'd think I had a neurological problem, rather than feel the icy stare of judgement.
I'm not winning but I'm not totally sucking either! So that's something. Once my mileage gets built up again I'll be whooping all of your buts =D
It is giving a snow storm for tomorrow, so I may not get to the gym 🙁. If that happens, I will google a ton of random exercises and attempt them so I do not fall further behind!
If you have one around, jump rope! Simple and it gets your heart rate nice and elevated.
It totally tracks fencing! I'm doing some tonight and I have a meet on saturday.
Was not expecting to that. 😛 I'm a foilest.
That is SO cool! I've always wanted to learn to fence (foil). 😎
I'm not winning but I'm not totally sucking either! So that's something. Once my mileage gets built up again I'll be whooping all of your buts =D
Everyone but nan - she's got us ALL beat with that ice hockey habit of her's. 😉
I'll join if someone wants to invite me! 😀
Everyone but nan - she's got us ALL beat with that ice hockey habit of her's. 😉
Seriously but kudos to her. I'm just happy I didn't fall last time I went ice skating and sort of learned how to stop without the use of a wall. Haha. Although it makes me miss sports. I want to play field hockey and start swimming again. Swimming would obviously be the easier of the two things to start, but I've never been good at doing practices by myself. I need a coach or someone to push me.
I was the same way before I started it. As soon as I was in an area where they offered it, I started taking lessons. In fact, I just got back from practice. The coach didn't go easy on us even though it was the first practice back since winter break. I was really rusty today. 😀 If you look around, you may find somewhere that offers lessons. I'm hoping to continue it through vet school if possible.That is SO cool! I've always wanted to learn to fence (foil). 😎
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Everyone but nan - she's got us ALL beat with that ice hockey habit of her's. 😉
I reckon you guys will all catch up by this weekend just in time for me to be on the ice for 12 out of 48 hours Sat-Sun.

Urgh I have always wanted to try fencing. I actually have space in my schedule for a class this semester, and lo and behold they're not offering it. Figures!
I like swimming but I don't like the amount of effort that goes into getting to the pool, getting ready, then having a mound of wet hair all day. If I had a personal pool I'd be all over that.
I like swimming but I don't like the amount of effort that goes into getting to the pool, getting ready, then having a mound of wet hair all day. If I had a personal pool I'd be all over that.
I reckon you guys will all catch up by this weekend just in time for me to be on the ice for 12 out of 48 hours Sat-Sun.![]()
I think I can catch you with about 2.5 hours of deadlifting, squats and benching.
The downside: I can hardly bear to sit in a chair or push open a door 24 hours afterwards.
The upside: Beating a total stranger in internet points.
I reckon you guys will all catch up by this weekend just in time for me to be on the ice for 12 out of 48 hours Sat-Sun.![]()
I'm just glad I won't be around the hockey stank. I have a friend on the Davis Club hockey team and the fumes from those boys after a game is killer. Gross.
I'll use my shake weight all weekend. That should be equivalent, right?
I finally got my school ID reactivated (I hadn't bothered since I started taking classes again...had a payed-for gym membership), which means I can exercise before (or more likely after) my classes! Woohoo!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 908
