OT: Fitness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I love going to the campus gym and lifting, except that the best time for me is evenings and that's when the broheims do their dumbbell curls in the squat racks and it fills me with irrational rage.

:diebanana:

Members don't see this ad.

I love going to the campus gym and lifting, except that the best time for me is evenings and that's when the broheims do their dumbbell curls in the squat racks and it fills me with irrational rage.

Bros ruin everything!

Hahaha they just take up all the benches sitting around watching the other bros here.
What bothers me more are the multitudes of tiny blonde women (no offense to small peeps or blonds meant, these are a specific breed of UCSB barbie doll) on the elliptical trainers in the weight room. They could be in the main cardio area but they'd rather be in the weight room shaking their booty in front of the bros.

Do we all go to the university gyms?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hahaha they just take up all the benches sitting around watching the other bros here.
What bothers me more are the multitudes of tiny blonde women (no offense to small peeps or blonds meant, these are a specific breed of UCSB barbie doll) on the elliptical trainers in the weight room. They could be in the main cardio area but they'd rather be in the weight room shaking their booty in front of the bros.

HAHAHAHAHAHA. that used to be me. I went to USC and am a blonde, tiny, and in a sorority. But a) I went during gossip girl bc every sorority girl would watch that at home and b) all the bros had their chapter meetings, so more ellipticals for me!

But yes I hated all the other blondes

Edit: oh yeah, I also look like Barbie apparently (ive been called Barbie Vet on numerous occasions.) And when it's summer I get really tan bc I work by the beach. But i swear im intelligent! Sorry fromthebox :)

Last edited:

heehee hee I stopped frequenting the school gym and started hiking the hills around campus. People asked if I worked out :laugh: Maybe I'll run around outside tomorrow....or DANCEE

Go TEAM SDN! YAY!

Can anyone give me any advice about gym membership? There is a groupon in my area for 3 months for $19, but I have never been to a gym, and I'm a lazy person. Has anyone found that paying for belonging to a gym motivated them?

Nope. I went home for a summer and bought a 2 month gym membership. After buying the membership my partner bailed. I believe I went like 2 times the last month of the summer. I had to push myself to stay there when I went because I was so bored.

I have a gym partner now, which will hopefully keep me motivated. Also, there are tvs hooked up to the cardio machines at this gym! I think I am going to bring my e-reader next time I work out by myself. I saw a few people with books. Seems like a good idea.

Now that I think about it, if it is only $19 for the first three months, TRY IT!
I paid $72 for the first month and it will be $32 each additional month. I am $60 000 in debt. I am making this work!

I am going to bring my e-reader next time I go alone. I don't do nearly enough reading.

Studying on the cardio machines works pretty well too. Not so much for real in-depth understanding, but nice for reviewing lecture notes or looking at diagrams.

I learned most of my conceptual physics stuff on the rowing machine.

$19 for 3 months isn't bad at all. I pay $90 for a punch card of 10 classes at my CrossFit gym. Lasts me like 2 weeks...maybe. It's expensive but I love it, so I find it worth it. I might add a gym membership on that cost $25 a month for people between 21-25 yr old ( include social events and pick up games and I think classes) since my punch cards don't expire and that way I can make them last a little longer.

My school just built a new fitness facility and it is AMAZING! The old gym was absolutely awful, with at least half the machines broken at any given time, the rubber peeling off of the weight machine handles, and rusty ass free weights. I am thrilled to run on a treadmill that doesn't periodically just stop because it can't sense the safety magnet anymore.

I'm the farthest thing from a Barbie, but I find that the best way to get brosephs out of your way is to claim a bench and start lifting free weights. If you have to, make eye contact and grunt a bit. I know it sounds crazy, but I actually challenge myself to make those around me more uncomfortable than they've made me.

I generally rely on my immense body odor and strange unintentional noises and flailing to clear the area around me of brosephs.

I hate the brosephs. I hope they don't think they are impressing anyone with their roided out frames and protein shakes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate the brosephs. I hope they don't think they are impressing anyone with their roided out frames and protein shakes.

Ugh. My boyfriend is always drinking protein shakes.

I totes respect his muscley body, but it's just SO douchey when he's like "OH YEAH PROTEIN SHAKE." Can't you quietly consume your protein in animal form?

It's not like he eats vegetables or anything, so I'm not sure why he thinks he is lacking in digestible protein.

I'm the farthest thing from a Barbie, but I find that the best way to get brosephs out of your way is to claim a bench and start lifting free weights. If you have to, make eye contact and grunt a bit. I know it sounds crazy, but I actually challenge myself to make those around me more uncomfortable than they've made me.

They usually try to talk to me anyway and it's usually something *****ic about how they never see girls doing the weights and good for me. Condescending as hell.

I just joined you guys this morning.

I thought that by working out at 9 pm (when I got off of work today), I wouldn't have to compete for machines at the apartment gym - apparently not so.

I had a pretty good first work out - hope to do more tomorrow. And sad that bowling isn't on fitocracy (actually does a fair amount of cardio).

Ugh gym crowding was worse today. Didn't help that I had a short fuse after crazy stuff at work. Brosephs (who never talk to me, just about me. Sometimes even in other languages, if only they knew how douchey they sound in German.) we're hogging all the benches, didn't re-rack anything either. Ended up squatting with the set-weight barbells over by the stretching mats. Worst offender was a guy who walked away from the incline press, I walked up, he says "sorry, not done I've got 3 sets.." me: 'Kay. Then he proceeds to plank next to the machine. Wait, why can't I rotate in on your 55lb press while you plank in an inappropriate area?

On the other hand, yay level 6!

Now whenever I type in "www.f", my browser wants to take me to Fitocracy instead of Facebook. It is going to take me a while to get used to that.

The best antidote I've found for those dudes is:

Stand about 30 ft away with your arms crossed, shaking your head at them and smirking. When they lift and grunt, look at them the way a dog does when it's confused.

It's just enough to make them thoroughly self-conscious, yet not quite enough to get you beat up.

Stand about 30 ft away with your arms crossed, shaking your head at them and smirking. When they lift and grunt, look at them the way a dog does when it's confused.

It's just enough to make them thoroughly self-conscious, yet not quite enough to get you beat up.
Hahaha. I might have to try that. :laugh:

After having to sit through 8 hours of LECTURE today I was totally dragging ass for the first hour of the skills and drills hockey session but caught a first wind later (can't really say second..) and went 1.5x speed for the last half hour.

Studying on the cardio machines works pretty well too. Not so much for real in-depth understanding, but nice for reviewing lecture notes or looking at diagrams.

I learned most of my conceptual physics stuff on the rowing machine.

Yeah, I loved when all of my stuff would fall off the machines. Sigh:laugh: After my cacophony of racket, people with their earbuds in would all whip their heads in my direction. Like we were in a library. Goshhhh :p

Bwaaahaahaa.... Google chrome is my friend. (sleep & glucose to the brain also aids in problem solving ;)

Gotta play catch up & add all this stuff in!

Guilty admission though: last night's dinner consisted of Pizza Slut @ 21:00.

Okay okay I think you've convinced me to join you....we'll see if I can make myself do this, soooo lazy....

Ugh. My boyfriend is always drinking protein shakes.

I totes respect his muscley body, but it's just SO douchey when he's like "OH YEAH PROTEIN SHAKE." Can't you quietly consume your protein in animal form?

It's not like he eats vegetables or anything, so I'm not sure why he thinks he is lacking in digestible protein.

I don't know why, maybe it has just been that kind of day, but this literally had me falling off my chair laughing. Especially the veggie part - that's where I lost it.

Someone on SDN (was it you Dsmoody?) recommended Studyblue a while back and I downloaded it onto my phone so a lot of times I will do flash cards on my phone while doing cardio at the gym.

OH YEAH PROTEIN SHAKE!!
protein.jpg

BAHAHA.

I love that.

Glad I got a laugh out of you, Packen. :)

I would consider joining if activities that rewarded points included sword-fighting, standing in one place for hours at a time, and walking to and from class....uphill both ways. :p

Excited to try out my new running shoes tonight! My old pair were like two years old with no arch support anymore, which is important because I overpronate and end up with shin splints a lot of the time. They were probably due to be retired 1.5 years ago. Yay to being poor.

I would consider joining if activities that rewarded points included sword-fighting, standing in one place for hours at a time, and walking to and from class....uphill both ways. :p
It totally tracks fencing! I'm doing some tonight and I have a meet on saturday.

Excited to try out my new running shoes tonight! My old pair were like two years old with no arch support anymore, which is important because I overpronate and end up with shin splints a lot of the time. They were probably due to be retired 1.5 years ago. Yay to being poor.
Same here, got new Saucony shoes on sale at Ross (kinda shady but shoes feel good) about to head out on my first run/walk in them. I underpronate so I need good shoes to save my toes.

Good to know I'm dead last!!!! Guess I'll be doing one of these challenges tonight.

On a different note: new shoes are the bomb!

Seriously. I felt so light and agile and wanted to keep going. If it wasn't raining I would have considered a nightly run since I bought a new long sleeve shirt that came with a little clip on flash light to prevent me from getting hit by a car or something.

I think this might work better for a guy. I feel like if I stood there shaking my head at people they'd think I had a neurological problem, rather than feel the icy stare of judgement.

I'm not winning but I'm not totally sucking either! So that's something. Once my mileage gets built up again I'll be whooping all of your buts =D

It is giving a snow storm for tomorrow, so I may not get to the gym :(. If that happens, I will google a ton of random exercises and attempt them so I do not fall further behind!

I'm not winning but I'm not totally sucking either! So that's something. Once my mileage gets built up again I'll be whooping all of your buts =D

Everyone but nan - she's got us ALL beat with that ice hockey habit of her's. ;)

Everyone but nan - she's got us ALL beat with that ice hockey habit of her's. ;)

Seriously but kudos to her. I'm just happy I didn't fall last time I went ice skating and sort of learned how to stop without the use of a wall. Haha. Although it makes me miss sports. I want to play field hockey and start swimming again. Swimming would obviously be the easier of the two things to start, but I've never been good at doing practices by myself. I need a coach or someone to push me.

That is SO cool! I've always wanted to learn to fence (foil). :cool:
I was the same way before I started it. As soon as I was in an area where they offered it, I started taking lessons. In fact, I just got back from practice. The coach didn't go easy on us even though it was the first practice back since winter break. I was really rusty today. :D If you look around, you may find somewhere that offers lessons. I'm hoping to continue it through vet school if possible.

Urgh I have always wanted to try fencing. I actually have space in my schedule for a class this semester, and lo and behold they're not offering it. Figures!

I like swimming but I don't like the amount of effort that goes into getting to the pool, getting ready, then having a mound of wet hair all day. If I had a personal pool I'd be all over that.

I reckon you guys will all catch up by this weekend just in time for me to be on the ice for 12 out of 48 hours Sat-Sun. :laugh:

I think I can catch you with about 2.5 hours of deadlifting, squats and benching.

The downside: I can hardly bear to sit in a chair or push open a door 24 hours afterwards.

The upside: Beating a total stranger in internet points.

pg-ra-healthy-living-habits-03-full.jpg

I reckon you guys will all catch up by this weekend just in time for me to be on the ice for 12 out of 48 hours Sat-Sun. :laugh:

I'm just glad I won't be around the hockey stank. I have a friend on the Davis Club hockey team and the fumes from those boys after a game is killer. Gross.

I'll use my shake weight all weekend. That should be equivalent, right?

I finally got my school ID reactivated (I hadn't bothered since I started taking classes again...had a payed-for gym membership), which means I can exercise before (or more likely after) my classes! Woohoo!