OT: Fitness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's up already? Didn't see it earlier.. Hopefully I can do this one..

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh! That's understandable. I hope the next one will bring good news! :)

I'm not even going to log my feeble attempt at exercise today. Bronchitis sucks. I need soup, brownies, and a nebulizer. Stat!

WAH!!!! I had to return THE sneakers! I took them for a test run on the treadmill and after a mere mile and a half my feet fell asleep! I've had this happen to me before in a couple of other running shoes; but for the mighty price-tag, I just couldn't commit. At least the store was super nice and allowed me to exchange them. Got a pair of Brooks Reveena 3's which seem to be just fine. My feet? They love that DNA...

What really makes me sad is that now I have to fork out another $100+ to get a new pair of trail runners. Oh well...

And dyachei - It's gotta count for something given all the strength and cardio that go into lugging the bag all over creation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Certainly felt like there was a lot of work involved :laugh:

Oh, there is! I only know because I've done it myself more than once. The most ridiculous thing I've ever done is after already having 25lbs of one litter and a small basket of other goodies realizing that I needed the other litter I mix with brand 'A' - 40lbs worth. Too stubborn to get a cart, I lugged it all from the back of the store to the register. What a mess that turned out to be. My shoulder didn't forgive me for days! But, the cashier was mighty impressed. Got this look of :eek: and she felt the need to add 'Well, I guess you don't need help to your car.' :laugh:

LMMS Bummer about the shoes:( My new ones are Brooks and I love them! Hopefully yours will work out for you.

LMMS Bummer about the shoes:( My new ones are Brooks and I love them! Hopefully yours will work out for you.

Thanks, firefly. But, it's all good. This is actually my fourth pair of Brooks. Don't like the Ravennas quite as much as the Trance; but they upgraded and narrowed the darn toebox. Very disheartening. But, with a few minor adjustments (longer laces and a new insole) these seem to be OK. Running my first 'real' 5K tomorrow, so we shall see!

An hour and 40 minutes of Hip Hop dance practice for work! I almost fell down the stairs at the gym, because my legs are so wobbly. That better get me a lot of points for the challenge!

Not sure how I'm gonna walk tomorrow though.. ugh..

Urgh, went to the gym tonight and left my notebook AND EREADER there (but someone turned them in fortunately!)

I lost about 10 pounds.
First weight was 148 lbs.
Then three weeks ago, I was around 144.
Now I am around 135 (back to the weight I THOUGHT I was when I started).

Yay.

Urgh, went to the gym tonight and left my notebook AND EREADER there (but someone turned them in fortunately!)

I lost about 10 pounds.
First weight was 148 lbs.
Then three weeks ago, I was around 144.
Now I am around 135 (back to the weight I THOUGHT I was when I started).

Yay.

Wow that is awesome! I love this thread and Fitocracy because they motivate me to stay in shape way more than I could on my own.

Wow that is awesome! I love this thread and Fitocracy because they motivate me to stay in shape way more than I could on my own.

Seriously. I have broken more of my personal records competing against you guys in the last 10 weeks than I did in 2 years at the gym by myself.

It honestly makes no sense to me, that beating strangers motivates me more than my own willpower, but I'm not going to be picky about the source as long as I keep getting stronger.

I hurt. so. bad. ouch.

Not sure how I'm gonna perform tomorrow..

Seriously. I have broken more of my personal records competing against you guys in the last 10 weeks than I did in 2 years at the gym by myself.

It honestly makes no sense to me, that beating strangers motivates me more than my own willpower, but I'm not going to be picky about the source as long as I keep getting stronger.

My class at school now has a group, and I'm top of the pack... so I feel contractually obligated to stay AWESOME. Also my boyfriend and I use it to be jerks to each other.

I think we're all competitive jerks at heart. We're just playing to that in a civilized way right now. ;) And I think beating someone (anyone!) is always going to be > "improving yourself"

Hahahahahaha.
Whenever I am at the gym, I keep thinking to myself: "Must... run... for... 5... more... minutes... so... I... can... get... more... points... on... Fitocracy... and... beatthemall." *collapse*
I just got my little notebook back from the gym. I am dying to log everything now but I am on a school computer and don't have my little circuit series conversion chart handy. I am not about to guess because guessing may lose me points!

I read your comment Trem and was wondering why it wasn't in stars... :laugh:

I think the same thing though. "Just a bit more so I can move up in the challenge!" :rolleyes:

I logged it anyway.
I just had to do some investigory work.
Hahaha. I guess it should be in stars.
Or maybe I do talk to myself at the gym... dun dun dun.

When I went back to edit what I logged, Fitocracy had deleted everything I had logged. Is this new or is this just the computer I am on?
I noticed that some of the fields on the Track page are this really obnoxious blue.

LMMS I'm curious- were you fitted for those shoes? I was having similar problems with previous sneakers I'd bought and run in. I normally wear a size 8 or 8.5 in regular shoes (flats, boots, etc), and so I naturally thought I should wear the same size in sneakers. I ended up getting fit at my local running store, and it turns out I should have been wearing a size 9.5 sneaker!! When you exercise, your feet swell. A lot. Hence the need for such a bigger size. I have never run better or felt more comfortable in my life. From what your symptoms sound like, maybe you are having the same issue?

So, having issues with lat pull-downs. Not the exercise itself, but with the machines. There's two at the gym. One is a Cybex, and instead of giving the weights, the plates have numbers, and a dial. So I have no idea what weight I'm actually using. The other one is normal enough, but I can just barely reach the bar to pull it down. :rolleyes: Neither of these are major issues, just minor annoyances.

LMMS I'm curious- were you fitted for those shoes? I was having similar problems with previous sneakers I'd bought and run in. I normally wear a size 8 or 8.5 in regular shoes (flats, boots, etc), and so I naturally thought I should wear the same size in sneakers. I ended up getting fit at my local running store, and it turns out I should have been wearing a size 9.5 sneaker!! When you exercise, your feet swell. A lot. Hence the need for such a bigger size. I have never run better or felt more comfortable in my life. From what your symptoms sound like, maybe you are having the same issue?

Hey JMJ - Yep, was fitted by running people... Even had me run in the store to ensure that they were going to be OK. However, once I got going then the problem started. My issues are purely due to my stride and my pronation (at least 'we' think so). As long as I have enough cushion and a wide enough toe box (and sometimes 1/2 size up), I'm OK. Sadly, the killer sneaks were likely too narrow in the toe box. The new ones are working out just fine though. Took them for their first real spin today and not a single bit of tingle. :D Thanks for checking in on me!! Glad that you're feeling so good!!!

For those "following" me, I promise I haven't completely fallen off the wagon. I just have so much going on and signing in to fitocracy to log it all just isn't a top priority :( I walk every day, do free weights a few times a week and ab work a few times a week.

At least I'm moving (which is more than I can say for last semester...)

Wahhh. I want my foot to be better. I'm really missing my CrossFit classes and hate that I can't go. I went to the gym last night because it was the last night of my week long free trial and did the elliptical and some weights on my own. It just isn't the same. I need someone yelling at me to stay motivated. Although, you all do a pretty good job of motivating me as well. I never would have done the weights normally, but I wanted the points! Haha. I also have to thank Stumbleupon for giving me a site that gives you workouts to do based on whether your at home or at the gym. I can't come up with crap on my own.

But anyone have a magical cure for a sprained (hopefully) ankle besides rest??

Last edited:
I love StumbleUpon! Stopped using it though. I got depressed that I couldn't do all the stuff that came up. Hahaha Once we buy a house here, I will use it again because I love all the decorative suggestions!

I'm about to log my 4.5 hours of dancing! :D

I love StumbleUpon! Stopped using it though. I got depressed that I couldn't do all the stuff that came up. Hahaha Once we buy a house here, I will use it again because I love all the decorative suggestions!

I'm about to log my 4.5 hours of dancing! :D

Hahah. Seriously. When it pops up with awesome travel destinations or pictures of absolutely breathtaking scenery, I die a little inside knowing I'll never be able to see it. Although, I am proud to say that I did see one of the sites listed as a top place to see before you die or one of those lists along those lines.

I'm annoyed. Why? I slipped on a wet floor at work today while being a good person (damn dogs know how to pull my heart strings) and managed to twist my knee. I didn't notice it until I was out on a brisk walk warming up for a run. Thus, no run and now I ache.

Normally this wouldn't be a big deal; but tomorrow I'm heading to Boston and was planning on jogging along their marathon route because I'm going to be getting into town in the mid afternoon and am staying at a place right along where they finish. Not to mention that the weather is supposed to be unseasonably beautiful. Boo hiss! :mad:

Orca - Hope you feel better soon! Wish I had a miracle cure for you...

I'm annoyed. Why? I slipped on a wet floor at work today while being a good person (damn dogs know how to pull my heart strings) and managed to twist my knee. I didn't notice it until I was out on a brisk walk warming up for a run. Thus, no run and now I ache.

Normally this wouldn't be a big deal; but tomorrow I'm heading to Boston and was planning on jogging along their marathon route because I'm going to be getting into town in the mid afternoon and am staying at a place right along where they finish. Not to mention that the weather is supposed to be unseasonably beautiful. Boo hiss! :mad:

=(
That is such a bummer!!! Hoping it feels a little better, so you can walk around the city without being in too much discomfort. Wish I had a miracle cure for you as well. If you haven't already, definitely ice it. I'm convinced that helped my ankle somewhat. I'm sure it would have been much more blue and swollen and if I hadn't.

But anyone have a magical cure for a sprained (hopefully) ankle besides rest??

Oxycontin-Addiction-Treatment.jpg

You're visiting Boston?! *waves hello* My neighbors are running the marathon this year. She's super giddy about it. Have fun visiting even if you don't get to jog the route, it is RIDICULOUSLY nice up here right now!

I was going to go to the gym this AM, but I slept like crap last night - it was eleventy billion degrees in the bedroom, I had weird dreams about being bitten by hundreds of mosquitoes, my boyfriend woke up having a panic attack in the middle of the night, and I'm so tired I can barely keep my eyes open right now. Hoping I have the time and energy to go after my file review with Tufts this afternoon :)scared:) and before my evening class!

We are having record breaking temperatures here.
Less than a week ago, I was bundled up in my peacoat and mittens, dodging snow banks.
Now it is 27 degrees C.

SHORTS WEATHER :D

What does this have to do with fitness?

My long jean shorts, which have not fit me since first year university, fit me now. Yay.

Yay for skinny jeans! This week is shot for me, both jobs are super busy and I need to nurse my pony's hoof abscess but congrats to everyone who is kicking butt and taking names! I'll be back on top of stuff next week :thumbup:

Since I started heavy lifting, I've seen the scale go from 121.2lbs to 123.9lbs. Why is this a good thing? Because I've lost a half inch off my waist and a half inch off my hips and I'm wearing my 26 waist jeans for the first time in over a year. Screw the scale! :D

Since I started heavy lifting, I've seen the scale go from 121.2lbs to 123.9lbs. Why is this a good thing? Because I've lost a half inch off my waist and a half inch off my hips and I'm wearing my 26 waist jeans for the first time in over a year. Screw the scale! :D
Congrats!
My scale and measuring tape just hate me. I haven't lost a pound or banished a half inch in 6 mo.

fromthebox i hope you know i now feel extreme pressure since i got the lovely email "fromthebox is now following you on fitocracy".

Now I feel like I better go do something :laugh:

Haha. Seriously. When that happened to me, at first I was pissed caused I went from like 135 to 138 but I had gained muscle. Now I'm upset because I haven't been able to go to CrossFit as much because of my ankle currently and I was short on the cash .Now I'm back to around 135 which I'm kind of happy about, but also sad because I feel like I'm getting flabby since I lost some muscle mass. =(

Now that dancing is over, I am not so motivated because I am just sore and know I don't have to do anything. Hopefully I can make it to the gym after class tomorrow and do some stuff..

Finally conquered my irrational fear of the squat rack. There was no around it and I just went and did it. Only squatting with the empty bar so far :oops: (don't laugh, it weighs 45 lbs and I'm still knew!) but this is a huge confidence boost for me.

I've never worked out like this. No clue how long I was even at the gym. Don't think this'll happen anytime soon again anyways. Hahahaha What a little bit of competition can do to your motivation!