OT: Fitness

Started by Dsmoody23
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Oh the squat rack. I hated it for the longest time. New Rules changed that. I hated the deadlift instead. Now I love the squat rack and hate the wait for the ONLY ONE in the gym. The guys are looking but not snickering. Do it right and they will wish they were you. Make sure you go to at least parallel on the squats if not past. Start with good form or it will bite you (see me)

GOOD LUCK and enjoy!!:luck::luck::luck::luck:

Yeah, I just need to put on my big girl pants and do it. Form is good, I've got no problem there. I love deadlifts. They make me feel seriously powerful, even if I'm not lifting much yet. Next squat session will actually be on the weekend, when I'll be at Mom's house, so I'll be at the YMCA near her house rather than the UPEI gym, so I'm hoping the Y staff will be able to help me learn to adjust the rack. The UPEI fitness center is great. The staff? Not so much...
 
Way to go, gals! Yes - DO go to your weight rooms. I know it can feel awkward (picture this 'old maid' with the med students) but you'll feel great when you're done.

As for me, I've reached a new level of insanity. Behold! My new running shoes. Site posted rather than pic b/c I'm on my phone. And hopefully it will work! I can't seem to cut & paste. Smart phone, eh?

http://www.mizunousa.com/running/products/mizuno-womens-wave-prophecy
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Way to go, gals! Yes - DO go to your weight rooms. I know it can feel awkward (picture this 'old maid' with the med students) but you'll feel great when you're done.

As for me, I've reached a new level of insanity. Behold! My new running shoes. Site posted rather than pic b/c I'm on my phone. And hopefully it will work! I can't seem to cut & paste. Smart phone, eh?

http://www.mizunousa.com/running/products/mizuno-womens-wave-prophecy

Ohhhh! Fancy! I just got a pair of Mizunos and I love them! They actually might be slightly big but not enough to cause problems...or I'm just not used to them being lighter and more flexible than my Asics. Love my Asics cause they were a sturdy shoe and I need one's with the proper support (I overpronate and badly) but I want light shoes for my CrossFit classes. Unfortunately I have to go with what feels better for my right foot since it's larger by a complete size! Not a half size like normal people... But I think it's all in my head because if you actually put my Mizunos next to my old Asics pair, the Mizunos are actually slightly smaller even though they're a half size bigger...


Anyway. Went swimming (like an actual practice) for the first time in over a year. I'm am beyond out of swimming shape. I could barely do a 25 fly and I used to race the 100 yd Fly. Yikes. Still managed to get in decent yardage in 40 minutes though, so I'm content. It still bothered my ankle though during each flip turn and breaststroke. =(
 
Way to go, gals! Yes - DO go to your weight rooms. I know it can feel awkward (picture this 'old maid' with the med students) but you'll feel great when you're done.

As for me, I've reached a new level of insanity. Behold! My new running shoes. Site posted rather than pic b/c I'm on my phone. And hopefully it will work! I can't seem to cut & paste. Smart phone, eh?

http://www.mizunousa.com/running/products/mizuno-womens-wave-prophecy

199$?

Holy Spit.

Can you dunk like Teen Wolf in those things?
 
That's be awesome, because I'm probably gonna forget about it otherwise..

I just carry a little notebook when I go to the gym. Or take my laptop to the basement.

Once you get going, it's pretty addictive and you'll start to look forward to putting in the exercises just to see the points pop up. (Says the guy who got beat 4 weeks in a row.)
 
Beat how? I'm still working on understanding everything.. Haha

We've been doing weekly challenges. 7 days to see who can get the most points.

Sooprnova, fromthebox and Blackmaus killed most of those.

FattestCat is winning the hell out of this week.

There should be another one starting in about 3 days, if you want to try it out.
 
Do you know yet what it will be? I prolly have to wait until I get back to college to have the gym there..
 
Do you know yet what it will be? I prolly have to wait until I get back to college to have the gym there..

It's free for all. You can run, swim, do calisthenics or weights. Anything counts, so you have a lot of room to tailor it to your preferred exercises.
 
That sounds good! I can use the gym at the hotel and run with the puppy at the show grounds! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mountain of papers to grade is the only reason I didn't kill all y'all this week. Yep, definitely that, and not inherent laziness.
 
I think I've pretty much failed at Fitocracy in the history of all fitocracyness. My pole is merely a distant memory that I only get to indulge in once a week... however I have got some new moves down (which induced more bruising).... in any case, my work schedule is probably the least forgiving, most annoying schedule of all time. But I am trying to get into roller derby- totally bad ass.
 
Mountain of papers to grade is the only reason I didn't kill all y'all this week. Yep, definitely that, and not inherent laziness.
Grading papers? 👎

I think I've pretty much failed at Fitocracy in the history of all fitocracyness. My pole is merely a distant memory that I only get to indulge in once a week... however I have got some new moves down (which induced more bruising).... in any case, my work schedule is probably the least forgiving, most annoying schedule of all time. But I am trying to get into roller derby- totally bad ass.

Roller derby sounds pretty awesome! I'm making a promise to start logging today! But I kinda feel like I was steam-rollered. I was doing some gymnastics-y stuff yesterday. My body hasn't taken too kindly to it. But, I'm gonna force myself to run around or something today. I'm imagining myself in like 15th place or something right now.....
 
Ugh, I want. But I have to pay my deposit for SGU 🙁

1698095-p-2x.jpg
 
Way to go, gals! Yes - DO go to your weight rooms. I know it can feel awkward (picture this 'old maid' with the med students) but you'll feel great when you're done.

As for me, I've reached a new level of insanity. Behold! My new running shoes. Site posted rather than pic b/c I'm on my phone. And hopefully it will work! I can't seem to cut & paste. Smart phone, eh?

http://www.mizunousa.com/running/products/mizuno-womens-wave-prophecy
Ohh I tried those on and loved them!!!😍 I couldn't justify the price though.
I ended up with these.
images
Haha not too cheap anywho. I wanna to the weekly challenge next week if there is room! I've been running my butt off with my new shoes!
 
Also, if you're looking for something to put on your feet that won't scorch the pavement with ugliness, I've had a lot of success with these:

new-balance-minimus-10-multisport-1.jpg
 
Also, if you're looking for something to put on your feet that won't scorch the pavement with ugliness, I've had a lot of success with these:

new-balance-minimus-10-multisport-1.jpg

Are those Vibrams? As in, toe shoe makers?

I prefer not to wear pure douche on my feet.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay since everyone else is posting the workout shoes they want, I will too!

delight-608-c.jpg

$79

Or

54AE401A.jpg

$super awesomeness

OR

Sure_Grip_Rebel__4ce1e86d9af55_194x201.jpg

$329

so far I can afford the first pair!!! <3 !!!!!
 
We've been doing weekly challenges. 7 days to see who can get the most points.

Sooprnova, fromthebox and Blackmaus killed most of those.

FattestCat is winning the hell out of this week.

There should be another one starting in about 3 days, if you want to try it out.

Which reminds me!! I never got my victory chalice!! 😉 (For those who don't know, I'm blackmaus).

Also - lostbunny - get the ROLLER SKATES!! I did derby for awhile and it was the most fun and most intense workout I've ever had in my life. I only stopped b/c in derby it's not *if* you get injured, it's *when*, and I don't want to graduate late because I missed a couple of rotations due to a broken leg/wrist/etc. I still roller skate, but I really miss derby. I have these skates:
sure-grip-rebel-fugitive-300.jpeg


With red toe caps and red wheels 😀 And I <3 them very much!
 
Which reminds me!! I never got my victory chalice!! 😉

****.

Procrastination turned into completely forgetting.

On my word as a man, your Victory Chalice will be organized this evening.

As you recall, the only condition will be the posting of a picture of it, filled with the mortal blood of your enemies and turned into a victory martini with the tears of your foes and detractors.

Signed by my hand,
On this day, the 14th of March, in the year of our lord 2012,

DSMoody23
 
Also - lostbunny - get the ROLLER SKATES!! I did derby for awhile and it was the most fun and most intense workout I've ever had in my life. I only stopped b/c in derby it's not *if* you get injured, it's *when*, and I don't want to graduate late because I missed a couple of rotations due to a broken leg/wrist/etc. I still roller skate, but I really miss derby. I have these skates:
sure-grip-rebel-fugitive-300.jpeg


With red toe caps and red wheels 😀 And I <3 them very much!

poop- I don't want to break something and be unable to POLE 🙁 !!! Have you done rugby? Whats the injury ratio for rugby:derby? I played rugby for a while, but probably not for long enough to get seriously hurt lol.
 
Winners of 2 Weeks :
1st place. dsmoody23, 5320 Points
2nd place. orca2011, 5309 Points
3rd place. CorporateFatCat, 4931 Points
4th place. fromthebox, 3881 Points




tumblr_leruvxTdS01qbiwkxo1_500.jpg
 
How...did that happen?

In true form of a chronic procrastinator, I beat the **** out of myself from about 8:30 - 12am.

2300 pts. Don't count out the underdog.

Although it's safe to say I won't be bending, walking or moving my arms tomorrow.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
poop- I don't want to break something and be unable to POLE 🙁 !!! Have you done rugby? Whats the injury ratio for rugby:derby? I played rugby for a while, but probably not for long enough to get seriously hurt lol.

Yeah, roller derby is a ROUGH sport. I absolutely loved it, but in the short time I was involved I saw 2 broken wrists, a broken collar bone, a broken foot, a tibia+fibular fracture requiring plates and screws, and a severe knee injury. It's just brutal once you're out of training and really start playing. I will say though, joining a team and training got me in AMAZING shape and really damn fast. I was constantly in pain and unable to walk and taking epsom salt baths! But even just roller skating is great fun and exercise, so I still recommend it. And I plan on going back to derby once I'm out of school. 😀

I've never played rugby and I have no idea how the injuries compare. I know that rugby is rough, but imaging that roughness with wheels strapped to your feet... yeah.
 
but imaging that roughness with wheels strapped to your feet... yeah.

hmmm... yeah lol. Guess the momentum makes all the difference! Hey what was your derby name BTW?

Yeah I'll have to start in the freshmeat, but I'm hoping I can skip up a star level or 2 since I already know the skating basics- but we shall see. My informal 'coach' said he'd get me doing some baby derby stuff.... long story short I can't make it to freshmeat training so I went to a 'learn to skate' at the rink instead to at least get SOME skating time in, and lo and behold I was the BEST skater there.... erm the other 2 girls were like 4 and 6 lol.
 
Grrrr. I was looking forward to being the champion of this one.

That's my first.

Equally, I'm not super hyped about getting half my points at the 11th hour. Hoping to spread it out into some reasonable chunks, next time.

That site is a pretty weird phenomenon, though. I seriously killed myself last night, and the only real stimuli was a desire to get more imaginary points than a bunch of total strangers.

Anyhow, new challenge going up for the next week.