This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twugal13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I am currently an undergrad looking for a new job..I recently emailed a rehab center that has Physical Therapy and Occupational (I'm more interested in the OT stuff) and scored an interview for a therapy tech for tomorrow!
Does anyone mind sharing some of the interview questions they might ask? I have never been more nervous for an interview than this one! Should i expect the common interview questions or things related to Physical/Occupational Therapy?
thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! Im an undergrad that just got a rehab tech and I remember getting asked common interview questions like strengths/weaknesses, why are you a good fit for this job, describe a time where you were in a conflict and how you solved it, give an example of a time when you were a leader, etc.

I didnt get too many questions specific to practicing pt/ot or situational questions that would be more suitable for new grads or experienced workers. I got asked questions more about why i wanted to be an OT (vs being a PT), what I wanted out of the tech job and what my short- term and long- term goals were. Being familiar with the job description and being able to make connections between the tech position and what you want to do will definitely be a plus.

I think that for a tech position demonstrating an eagerness to learn and help with LITERALLY anything in the clinic will help you land the job. I'm sure you will do amazing, good luck!!!

I was also recently hired as a physical therapy aide and was asked about past experiences in fitness and working with individuals with diverse abilities. I think these are important things to touch on since most of the skills required for aide/tech jobs are not experienced in other activities. I was asked if there was a particular client/individual that stood out to me and how our relationship was, and also was asked about a time where my relationship with a client was difficult or where we didn't necessarily see eye to eye.

Members don't see this ad :)
We had a guy come in for restorative aid interview in snf. The aid is the closest we have to a tech.

-can you lift?
-how well you work the geriatric population and what are your experiences that make you think you are qualified.

There wasn't anything specific to OT as you will probably be working with all staff.

I started working as a physical therapy aide in February. I asked other coworkers what their interviews were like, and surprisingly, found several differences among theirs and mine!

In mine, I was asked what my greatest weakness was, why therapy was important to me, and what my long term goals are. Some of my coworkers were asked about medical terminology (basic stuff, like supine/prone) and some questions regarding anatomy (specific bone and muscle structures like the epicondyle and the biceps brachii). I wouldn't expect too many detailed questions about terminology and anatomy, though.

Hey I was a rehab tech shortly after undergrad and kept working until before I started the graduate program. I remember they asked me about my strengths and weaknesses and if I had taken at least anatomy and phys. Any other kinesiology courses look excellent as well. Usually they are trying to get a feel for you and your schedule. They also want to know what your goals are. If you know your school schedule already make sure to bring that. They like to see someone who has taken the time to go over hours of availability because they do take availability into consideration because they have to make sure it works on their end also. Good luck!!