Other OT-Related Information OT Student Life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OT1224

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am attending OT school next year. Could anyone give me (and other prospective OT students) insights on how school life is like, compared to undergraduate?

-Amount of free time?
-Social life?
-Education more rigorous?
-Friendships?
-Opportunity to work with OT professionals?

Etc.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you :)!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on your program. My program 1st year sucked with so many courses.

You get exposure to the field relatively quickly with FWIA and B.

Made some lifelong friends.

It depends on what kind of program you go to, but I went to a hybrid program (1 day a week in person, not counting fieldwork and other experiential requirements, with the rest online), and here are my thoughts:

-Amount of free time? Your miles may vary. I was able to work part time (about 18-24 hours a week, including weekends), but busted my butt the rest of the hours of the day doing homework and studying. But, I also went to a very rigorous undergraduate program (a million years ago), so 'free time' is a relative term for me. Needless to say, I had less free time in OT school that I did during my first graduate degree.
-Social life? Once again, your miles may vary. I will say, having completed a graduate program long before going back for OT school, graduate school is not like undergrad in that you're not living on campus or even spending much time on campus, and everyone does their own thing. You will have classmates with families or jobs and of varying ages. You will make friends, but it's not like college with automatic and easily accessible friends, due to growing life responsibilities.
-Education more rigorous? Depending on where you went to undergrad, the answer is most likely YES. OT school is no joke, even at the less highly ranked programs (like mine - and ranking doesn't generally mean as much as some people like to think, so keep that in mind as well). It's A LOT of information and a lot of different types of information that may be more or less accessible to how you learn and how you process information.
-Friendships? - See social life. I was a fully formed adult when I went back for OT school, so I already had established friends from various experiences. However, the amount of time I spent with them suffered severely due to my need to fill all non school-related hours with working to support myself.
-Opportunity to work with OT professionals? Yes, at minimum through fieldwork, which is required. You will be required to do clinical rotations, aka fieldwork at varying sites of interest/availability. You might have awesome fieldwork supervisors, you might have less-than-awesome ones, and you might be in a clinic or hospital with a bunch of other staff members and different disciplines, or a smaller sites with only a few people. Regardless, you will get exposure no matter where you go.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How pointless it gets:

Memorize pretty much all the muscles on a body model in one class and then on a cadaver in another. Same stuff in neuroanatomy, we needed to memorize a bunch of structures in the brain. I found it pointless as we will never see a brain irl again.

Memorize a ton of innervations that we could just look up in the clinic if we need it.

Argue about consistency of a liquid diet to no end. I mean I am pretty sure its premade now....

Avoid the grade focused, high anxiety people in OT school.

Naw bruh you gotta run away from them. In hallways in class etc.

This might be a silly question but what do most people wear on a day to day basis to class? I know obviously if a speaker comes, field trip, or fieldwork I would dress professionally but what about the typical classroom setting? Do you have to be business casual everyday? Sounds like a dumb question but something I've seriously been wondering about! Thanks!

This might be a silly question but what do most people wear on a day to day basis to class? I know obviously if a speaker comes, field trip, or fieldwork I would dress professionally but what about the typical classroom setting? Do you have to be business casual everyday? Sounds like a dumb question but something I've seriously been wondering about! Thanks!
I think it depends on the school. It seemed like most of the schools I interviewed at required students to dress professionally every day (one school had a no jeans rule for example, another school allowed students to wear scrubs as an option for the professional dress code). A couple schools didn't have a dress code, and allowed jeans or yoga pants or anything.

I think it depends on the school. It seemed like most of the schools I interviewed at required students to dress professionally every day (one school had a no jeans rule for example, another school allowed students to wear scrubs as an option for the professional dress code). A couple schools didn't have a dress code, and allowed jeans or yoga pants or anything.
So you think my program will specify if there's a dress code? Thanks for your reply!

My school hasn't mention anything about in class dress code. However, we are required to wear scrubs during fieldwork.

It is best to email the admissions.

Dress code depends on school and where you are doing your fieldwork. Always ask your site coordinator what is required before you get there (like 10 days or so). Sometimes they want an extra document or something your school never gave them.

If you are doing an outpatient neuro, you are going to be blazing khakis, polo and sneakers.

Hand clinic-Same but with button down shirt w/tie and business cas shoes.

Inpatient acute will wear scrubs. Color dependent on the health system.

My program didn't have an official "dress code", but they attempted to get us all to be "presentable" on a daily basis, which definitely didn't work. People wore yoga pants, or sweats sometimes. Fieldwork dress code also really depends on the setting. Some places are strict, some aren't, and there's no blanket statement that says "you must wear" xyz for any one setting really.

My program didn't have an official "dress code", but they attempted to get us all to be "presentable" on a daily basis, which definitely didn't work. People wore yoga pants, or sweats sometimes. Fieldwork dress code also really depends on the setting. Some places are strict, some aren't, and there's no blanket statement that says "you must wear" xyz for any one setting really.

hahaha yoga pants. its everywhere!

This was one of my questions because i heard a lot of different things about what to wear for grad school. So when i went on the tour, i asked the professor who was giving my tour and she said everyone dresses like they just rolled out of bed and you can wear whatever you want. Thats for temple at least

typically won't have time to have a job, so start picking out your favorite flavor of romen noodles lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

typically won't have time to have a job, so start picking out your favorite flavor of romen noodles lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Romen must be store brand ramen.