Oucom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, just as if I were to be accepted to OSU/UC/WSU/MCO/CWRU for allopathic school, OUCOM would be my first choice for DO school seeing as how I am an Ohio resident.

With that said, and from what I have observed, there seems to be few if any people here that are planning on attending OU.

Obviously, that does me no good :) However, those of you that are planning on attending OU or already attend OU, why did you choose it and how do you like it?

My ex used to go to OU and man, coming from a city like Columbus, it is going to be hard for me to adjust to a town like Athens.

THX
Adrian

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be attending OU-COM as a member of the Class of 2008.

I chose OU-COM because (in order of importance to me):

1- It's only 2 years in Athens, then it's off to one of the CORE hospital sites, and the hospital choices are all within OH. Also, most hospital choices are excellent (several have been named by USNews as "top 50" hospitals). The CORE system was the single most important factor in my decision to attend OU-COM.

2- The school and the city are very family-friendly, and the student body seems to be fairly non-competitive.

3- Two choices of curricular tracks, one being more flexible for married non-trad students like myself.

4- Clinical experiences start right away in the first year, and there are ample opportunities to volunteer in the community.

5- Good matches and board pass rates for previous classes.

6- It's still in the Midwest.

7- The school and Athens just felt "right" for me and my personality.

Just to give you an idea of how strongly I felt OU-COM was the school for me, after my acceptance I declined interviews at 5 other DO schools and one MD school.

Originally posted by Shinken
I'll be attending OU-COM as a member of the Class of 2008.

I chose OU-COM because (in order of importance to me):

1- It's only 2 years in Athens, then it's off to one of the CORE hospital sites, and the hospital choices are all within OH. Also, most hospital choices are excellent (several have been named by USNews as "top 50" hospitals). The CORE system was the single most important factor in my decision to attend OU-COM.

2- The school and the city are very family-friendly, and the student body seems to be fairly non-competitive.

3- Two choices of curricular tracks, one being more flexible for married non-trad students like myself.

4- Clinical experiences start right away in the first year, and there are ample opportunities to volunteer in the community.

5- Good matches and board pass rates for previous classes.

6- It's still in the Midwest.

7- The school and Athens just felt "right" for me and my personality.

Just to give you an idea of how strongly I felt OU-COM was the school for me, after my acceptance I declined interviews at 5 other DO schools and one MD school.

Pretty much the same here. That and the tuition was very good because I am an Ohio resident.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied there and was quickly rejected. They are not happy with out-of-staters. I applied there because my parents live nearby in Ohio and my in-laws live across the river in WV, so location wise it would have been nice to be near family.

Good luck to you all.

As a 4th OUCOM student, I can tell you that the school is nice in that you are able to schedule rotations throughout the CORE hospitals as well as the larger allopathic institutions. The Ohio allopathic residencies are aware that there are many quality DO students which makes the state, in general, pretty DO friendly.

OU-COM was a hard sell for my husband because we are not Ohio residents. Luckily, I can file to have my status changed after the first year.

OU was near the top of my list anyway because I have a friend who is a 3rd year there now (and I loved so much of what he had to tell me). OU was my 2nd scheduled interview--well, actually, I was supposed to interview at VCOM 2 days before, but weather caused a detour.

When I went to my interview, I came home and told my husband that I just knew this was where I was going to go to school. Everyone was so incredibly nice and helpful. From the moment I got there, I could tell it was the complete opposite of my experience at Indiana Univ. I never got the impression that the students were incredibly competitive and I didn't feel terribly stressed out over the interview, in fact, it was almost pleasant.

I ended up not rescheduling my interview at VCOM and withdrew my application, so I was pretty sure that OU-COM was at the very least going to be as expensive as I would go!

My decision was pretty much solidified today when I got my rejection from IU. UGH! What possesses a school to give you ONE interview with ONE person??

You just have to go where you feel comfortable. There are a lot of people here who are excited about going to PCSOM and I just couldn't see myself there. But, I can handle Athens for 2 years or 4. It's small enough that I don't worry about my kids, but big enough that I don't think they'd miss out on the bright lights of Indianapolis. :laugh:

Good luck deciding. I do believe OU is a good school and they seem to be very involved with their students even after they "leave the nest" and go off to other places for clinicals. That idea of "easing" out into the big bad world is a positive thing, IMO. Go check it out and talk to the students and faculty. It's the best way to find out!

Willow

I have a friend who went to OU and thought the school to be okay but it has its problems. A lot of internal politics. I guess a lot of the good faculty left and went to other schools as a result.